It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Pain Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2008, 08:25 PM   #1
(male)

fastbreak08 HB User
New Here

I have lurked here for awile now. I found this board while researching Fibromyalgia for my wife, so i can learn what we are up against. Then i ran across the Pain Management and Chronic Pain areas for myself. I have delt with low back pains off and for 18 years. I am 34. The pain has gotten progressively worse the last 2-3 years. I have tried to get my doctor to understand and help. I was diagnosed with degenerative disc and joint disease, and some minor disc bulges in october of last year. He finally referred me to an orthopedic surgeon in May and she ordered an MRI(alright i'm getting somewhere i thought). She found a narrow spinal canal also. She then referred me to a neurosurgeon who said it's not that bad, you should not be in alot of pain. WHAT. He referred me to physical therapy. WHAT A JOKE. I finally talked my Dr into sending me to Pain Management, as he had done what he could, and to pass on my narcotic meds to Pain Management. I love HMOs this has been a long process.

I had my first Pain Management appointment last Wednesday. I was happy that they listened and understood. We are sceduled to see if it is facet joint arthritis. I am glad to finally start getting some answers. Sorry it's long, and thanks for listening errr reading this.HA HA.

Old 10-24-2008, 07:10 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

momzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB User
Re: New Here

Hi and welcome to the boards!
I hope you find some help here! One thing you will always find is wisdom and support!
One thing I have learned from these great people is YOU know your body and its pain so YOU will have to push till you get help finding out whats really wrong! Its hard-we are trained to think doctors are always right-but I have had to almost bully my way into pain management and was blessed with a great group practice who really believe me when I say I hurt and help me take care of myself. I had to get through an old school family doctor who didn't believe in narcotics long term (she wasn't "comfortable"). I contacted my insurance company and got a person who would listen and help me get scripts processed. You are in charge of your own health-so push to get what you need. Not unfriendly or rude-just don't always take no for an answer!

Blessings,
Momz

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-24-2008, 09:44 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User

Welcome to this board.
You can always come here and share with us what you are going through. We all do that and it feel so good to have people who understand your problem and support you in your need.

I can tell you that the process of recovering from back pain is long and not always easy. My husband has back problem for years and expire a lots of options, but refuses to go for surgery since he sees what I am going through due to my spinal surgeries. He would go to PT, would get a little better, than would pick up something and back to same problem. He has arthrities, bulges and herniations. As you know we all start changes in our spines at age 25 so at his 56 his spine definitely not perfect.

Make sure you do your mild exsersercises, swimming is great, stretches is great, learned how to bend right and so on. PT is a great thing if they are really good.
Try whatever you can to help your pain. Good spinal Ortho Dr is the key, not just an Ortho, but spinal one.

Best of luck to you and your wife.

Old 10-24-2008, 10:24 AM   #4
(male)

staabo HB User

fastbreak08
I also have just found out I have degenerative disk. My L5 disk is completely gone, bone on bone. fortunately for me, so far not much pain. I found out about it when I had a skeletal xray done when I fell at work. So thats why my back hurts all the time... huh. I'm now 33. We are pretty young for this aren't we? Besides this that fall at work... I crushed my calcaneus bone (my heel). Its in 6 pieces. I'm trying to find some clear answers on if I'm going to be able to work ever again. anyways good luck w your back and I hope your wifes fibramialgia doesn't get bad anytime soon. There is good help out there for her. Hang in there...

Old 10-24-2008, 05:33 PM   #5
(male)

fastbreak08 HB User

This board has been very helpful. I did not even know Pain Management doctors exsisted until this board. Researching on this board helped me get going in the right direction. It's very fun(ha ha) at home with my wifes' fibromyalgia and my back pain we make a great couple. I do alot for her because i can't bear to see her in pain. Although i get scolded by her it's worth it. Thanks for the replies and look forward to learning more from all of you.

Old 10-24-2008, 05:37 PM   #6
(male)

fastbreak08 HB User

[QUOTE=staabo;3771849]fastbreak08
I'm now 33. We are pretty young for this aren't we? QUOTE]

Ihave heard that from all the doctors. "You're too young to be falling apart." I do have a good rapport with my GP. We followed him from Urgent Care to Private Practice. It's soooooooo hard to find good doctors. We still stayed with him when we moved a half hour away.It's worth the drive.

Old 10-29-2008, 11:52 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

magnoliamt HB User

Hey there...
My story feels very similar except that I am going to be 30! HA! Anyway, I just wanted you to know that there is support out there! I am coming here today for the first time and am glad to see that there is a husband on here who wanted to find out more about what his wife was dealing with when it came to fibromyalgia. I have FM, low back pain, chronic migraines... you and my husband could share some stories!

I am encouraged that you are brave enough to be empathetic to your wife... that makes me smile and I haven't smiled in weeks! Thank you!

Good luck with pain management... hope it works out well for you! <3

Closed Thread