It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Pain Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2008, 06:12 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

allanbruce HB Userallanbruce HB Userallanbruce HB Userallanbruce HB User
Just saying Hi!

I to have not been here much lately, but I will try to be around more. I have not moved as I thought we were. So I will get used to the idea of settling here now, and just make the best of the life I have. I am looking forward to summer and some early morning outings in the boat.

Pain, well that just carries on regardless. I have had more trouble with spasms in my lower back and down my legs, mainly of an evening, so I have a couple of paracetamol and a valium and put my feet up. but they still jump a bit.

The patches I am on are still ok though as I said of an evening is difficult. Also I have increased the medication I take for my stomach. I was having reflux at night.

All I can do is try to stay positive even while my pain will not give me a break. I hope everyone is ok and staying hopeful. Stay well. Allan

Old 10-24-2008, 08:00 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User
Re: Just saying Hi!

Hello Allan....It's good to hear from you! I've been wondering how you've been doing. I hope your pain starts to cooperate a bit.

I have to admit, it's kinda funny to read how you're "ready for summer." Here in the states, Fall is in full bloom and winter is right around the corner. Oh, how I wish it could be summer again. Winter pain is the worst! All the "cold" days and nights, coupled by wind and freezing rain / snow. And, then there are the winter blues....They are the worst in my opinion....Lack of sunlight, Vit D, and stuck indoors. I'm making myself depressed just thinking / typing about it.

Hope all continues to get better with you. Take care, and hopefully you'll feel up to posting more.

Regards,

Ex

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-24-2008, 09:03 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

I am lucky where I live and actually winter has not been all that bad here. We don't get snow here, not far from the tropics. A few wet misserable days is all. Allan

Old 10-29-2008, 08:02 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

I really wish I could be more motivated to get fishing, but it hurts so much afterwards. Got to have a life though, so I have been building a couple of guitars and spending all my money on parts now that our dollar has dropped so much, like 60 cents to your dollar. And you guy's have all the good fender parts. It is worth it to keep me distracted from other problems like pain for one. Thanks for being here for us. Allan

Old 11-10-2008, 05:59 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Not going so well this week, I don't know what it is but I have been having trouble with organising anything. I am also having problems remembering what I have set out to do, and I get confused at why am doing what ever it is. I seem to rush and not think to write anything down to remind myself. And realising that I have done something that I didn't need to do. I get so muddled up and confused, maybe it is the medications I take, but it has made me upset lately.

I wish that things could be different.

I had to get the cat put down today at a good age of 17 but it is still a bit upsetting. I also have other responsibilities that I will just have to put off. Mostly they are things that I have taken on for my family. But when I am sick I just have to let go and rest myself. I know I am hard on myself but what else should I do.

I hope thing settle down soon, as I have to go and spend a couple of weeks keeping an eye on my brothers business. ******REMOVED****

I hate doing it and I know I will suffer a lot of pain and stress, but I love him and will do my best. I know that it will take a long time to get over it. So I will just have to rest from now till I fly down to Sydney.

Thanks for listening to my problems, I need some one when I am alone here in my room feeling sore, sorry and confused.

Allan

Last edited by Mod08; 11-10-2008 at 11:52 AM. Reason: Off topic.

Old 11-11-2008, 06:49 PM   #6
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Hi Allan....Sorry I haven't kept in touch....I haven't felt well lately and therefore, haven't been around much. When I'm struggling, looking at the computer screen is like torture and makes the pain worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanbruce View Post
I hope thing settle down soon, as I have to go and spend a couple of weeks keeping an eye on my brothers business.

I hate doing it and I know I will suffer a lot of pain and stress, but I love him and will do my best. I know that it will take a long time to get over it. So I will just have to rest from now till I fly down to Sydney.
You are to be commended to trying to help your brother despite your own pain issues. Traveling while in pain is no easy task, especially the kind of distance your talking about. Sounds as if you really care for your brother and will do anything to help him.

Take care, and I hope all goes well.

Regards,

Ex

Old 11-12-2008, 03:58 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

I'm sorry to here that you have not been well. I don't spend as much time here as I would like to either. Sometimes concentrating on the screen is not much fun. I assume we all can't be here every day. But it is nice to catch up when we do. I am in bed a bit earlier than I usually would be, as last night I had the dreaded reflux and was up at 4am (after 4 hours sleep) with a neck full of acid. My GP has taken me off the Napracin so I will see how that effects my pain level.
I haven't got any insurance so not operation for me, so as with my lower back problems I will have to manage it with medication. One day I hope the public system will catch up with the waiting list and I could have some of my medical issues sorted out, but I won't hold my breath. My brother has private insurance and they wack him strait into a private room give him all the morphine he needs and with in a week he has had keyhole surgery. Mind you there is often a gap in the cost to pay. Hospital treatment is free here but they shuffle you out as quick as they can, and put you on a waiting list which could be as long as 5 years or more.
I wish I could have my pain reduced and all my other issues sorted and I could have some sort of normal life. It really upsets me sometimes like now.
I will have to talk to the doctor about depression also as I have been down a lot more than I should be.
As much as I spend time on my projects like the guitars, my mind always wonders back to that loneliness and regret.
I will try and keep my head up and battle on. Thanks for your support. Allan

Old 11-12-2008, 10:20 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

Hi again, thanks for your support, I have had a lot happen of late such as thinking we were moving and it didn't work out. I now would really like to move nearer the rest of my family. They are about an hour away now. Mum and Dad moved into a cabin on my uncles land alongside my sister and niece. My other close family are over in that area, Also my boat has been shifted over there leaving me further away from any fishing trips.
I do leave in 11 days to Sydney which is about 1 1/2 hours flight. I will be staying in a motel on my own though I will be spending most of the working hours in his office along with his other staff of 2-4 usually. So I have access to his computer as the staff have there own. I will be in the bosses room mostly sitting in front of the phone or back at the motel having an hour or two brake. So I will try not to over do it.
I hope things settle down after that although it will be Christmas before we know it. My brother and his family will be up for Xmas and new year for the first time with his children anyhow. Then his oldest boy will be up after new year so I will be well occupied.
Thanks for listening guys, I am laying on my bed alone listening to a CD. So see you all later. Allan

Old 11-16-2008, 02:04 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User

Hi Allen good to hear from you. Are you going to Sidney to work?
I caught the alone part in your post & you know you have made some progress I think & it can take some time. I remember a member here was kind of in the same situation you are in & he ended up meeting someone only to find he was not as ready as he thought to enter a relationship.
I am not saying that it is the same for you but perhaps in time you will meet someone.
First comes you, you know working on physically &/or mentally feeling better about yourself. Sometimes things happen as they are meant to. As you make progress & work on dealing with CP & other things you may see yourself changing & be up for a relationship more so. Then again sometimes others see changes in us bad or good that we do not see ourselves. I know I have had comments made by family & friends, some good & some I did not care to hear. I hope I have not offended you but sometimes it just takes time. If I remember correctly you were pretty down & at times we all struggle with that & have to work on that. The better you feel about yourself it shows to others & trust me your time will come.
By reading your posts it sounds like your making progress & I am so happy for you. Keep it up & I am sure at some point & time you will meet someone special. Remember there is more to each of us then just being CPers. Look at all the wonderful people here. I feel lucky & blessed to have met them. God bless Allen & keep your chin up.
By the way I love hearing about how it is in other parts of the world & enjoy your posts. Sammy

Old 11-16-2008, 10:16 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

Not actually working just keeping an eye on things for my brother. He will be in Europe representing Australia in Professional Latin dancing. His partner and him are currently top in Australia. He has worked for this nearly all his life and if I can in some way help that happen I will be happy. So as much as I will have some extra pain to deal with I will live. I don't really like being in a large city like Sydney so I will be glad to get home again. Maybe I will get a fishing trip in with a mate of his. Wish me luck. bye for now. Allan

Old 11-16-2008, 11:34 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

hessie28 HB Userhessie28 HB User

Hi Allan,

Hope you are making out okay with the pain. It is hard when you are away from home to deal with the pain.

Sorry about your cat too. I have three cats. I love them like they are children. I talk to them all the time. Mine are 8 years old and under. Now that I can't work anymore, they follow me around all day. I don't mind.

I've been getting the spasms too. Mine are in the knee, calf and top of the foot by the ankle. Unbearable pain. The Dr. gave me Flexeril and it basically has stopped cramps. My potassium and B12 were also low so that could have contributed.

I'm a little over two years post op. My pain is just unbearable. I started Aqua therapy but do not notice much of a change.

I'm on the Fetanyl Patch and Oxycodone every 4-6 hours. Lately 4 hours instead of 6. Luckily they don't upset my stomach. Everything else does. I know if you sleep with your head elevated it helps a little with the reflux. I took reflux meds on and off over the years.

Well, hope everything is okay.

Last edited by hessie28; 11-16-2008 at 11:37 PM.

Old 11-17-2008, 02:13 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

I was given the advice from a neurosurgeon not to have any surgery in my case as he thought that I could possibly end up in more pain. It is not easy to except his advice but from the people I have read here it seem that he may be right. I had at that time decided that I would be willing to try the double disc replacement but he did talk me out of it. Even now I still consider going back to the Orthopaedic surgeon to get onto the waiting list. But I don't have much of an option.
It means that I just put up with the pain, medication and side effects for now until such a time that or if it gets any worse. I hope it will not. Some days I wish they would have and other days when my pain is manageable I am glad that they had not operated on me.
My life has changed so much that I have gone from a married man supporting my family to being on a pension and having to live with my sister and her partner. I feel so bad about it sometimes. I am glad that I am able to go and be of help to my brother, and after Xmas I will think about how I can work on finding my own independence again. Who knows there may be something new out there for me next year.
I am sorry if I always seem to be talking about myself but this is one of the only places that I can get this stuff off my chest and see what comes out. I believe there are may others out there in similar situations and probably much worse. I am so lucky that I have people who care about me and do a lot for me. If anyone needs someone to chat with I am here for them as well. I find there are mostly women here and most already have there network already established. But I am always willing to talk to anyone who needs a shoulder to lean on. I can be good at that as we (my family) have been through a lot.
Allan

Closed Thread