It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Pain Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2008, 05:35 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

zoey1 HB User
Holidays expectation dealing with the got to dos and Chronic Pain

As we approach holidays and busy shopping time folks around here seem to tend to get over whelmed with the how to do what i got to do with chronic pain facing a daily event.
Here are some of my tips for dealing with the extra chores.....
Shop online sales do not wait till black friday (day after thanksgiving sales) but try over time to get a little bit at a time. Not necessiarly personal stuff unless it is a very close friend or a family member you know very well.
Look at generic family gifts from queen quilts to blankets. Towel sets for those you have not seen in a while. Look at newspaper for sales on home ware from a sofa throw or . Look online for places that have a nut container that will mail it to folks you want to remember.
While in the past gift cards are nice you are also faced with stores going out of business and or not honoring gift cards. Perhaps gas cards instead this year?
Decorating, ask for family help or keep it very simple.
Last year i got at Kroger a small potted pine and decorated that and had a few christmas things around .
Meals no you cannot lift a whole turkey this year or baste it.
Look for those half turkeys at walmart or Turkey breats.
Change up your kitchen tools to include small baking pans and offer a variety of dishses for the thanksgiving meal and christmas meal.
Learn to say no. Get office gift early again a puzzle or generic item that could be used by male or female.
Restock a gift closet use Marshals Ross for generic home items, target often does 75 percent off of housing stuff from sheet sets to blankets
Anyway if traveling remember to plan to rest before the trip as well as afterwords.....
Try not to get caught up in the furvor and demands of others but stick to what you know you can do and remember it will be the holidays allow time for thankfullness and yourself to rest ......

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-26-2008, 08:08 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

BrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB User
Re: Holidays expectation dealing with the got to dos and Chronic Pain

Zoey - What terrific suggestions!! Thanks for posting them. I know that for me, Christmas still comes with high expectations - the things I used to do before becoming a chronic pain patient were truly over the top when it came to decorating the house, baking the goodies, hosting the holiday get togethers, etc. I loved doing all of it! But I can't do it anymore so I've had to pare down much of my merry-making. For the first time this year I've hired a company to put up the Christmas decorations on the house - they bring everything and put it up - all the lights and the garland and the wreaths, candles, etc., and then come back in a month and take it all away. I'm lucky to be able to afford that kind of service otherwise there would be little to show that it's Christmas at my house. Thanksgiving dinner is now at my daughter's house - I bring a dish or two. Christmas dinner is a very small event. As much as I loved baking dozens and dozens of cookies, I now only do a few batches and ask the neighbor kids to come and join me in the baking. They love to decorate them and I can ask them to get down the bowls and the mixer, etc. And finally - with less "show" I have time and energy to think about the true meaning of Christmas and to be thankful that I'm still here to enjoy it. Memere (KathyMac)

Old 10-27-2008, 04:10 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User

you know for the first time I can remember I dont care so much about the holidays, the pain out weighs the joy of the holidays for now anyway.
Usually look forward to them but cant hardly lift the coffee pot so heck with a turkey.
I was just telling my sister the other day I dread putting up the tree & wish I would have bought a little 3ft tree, if my youngest was not still at home I probably would.
I am going as simple as I can this year & focus on taking it easy, so I say now,lol.
We shall see. God bless, Sammy

Old 10-27-2008, 05:20 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

brendaks1 HB Userbrendaks1 HB Userbrendaks1 HB User

Zoey - thanks for posting these great tips. I am fairly new on this board and this will be my first year dealing with chronic pain due to back problems starting in April of this year. Two surgeries so far and I'm still not fixed. I really appreciate these tips as the holidays approach, and I find that I'm not really looking forward to the holidays. Do you have any tips to help us look forward to them?

Old 10-28-2008, 11:38 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

zoey1 HB User

brenda tips for a head of time
make your special dishes a head of time freeze them mark what they are
make cookies or cakes ahead of time

try simple things from finding photos of your loved ones and you bring them to a drug store that has digital pictures and get it copied and find a nice frame

with the heat out of the way your electrity bill will be lower

Use dollar store bags for wrapping instead of wrapping each gift
Try to limit activities to the ones your family really enjoys.
At least one christmas activity even if it is just riding around looking at the christmass lights at night

If you have young children buy one extra toy bring your kids with you and donate it to an organzation collecting toys to underprivelege.

Look through the many charity appeals you get in december go over with your family about each organzation and pick one to donate at least 10 or 20 too
Explain to your younger ones why it is important to share (even it it is just a little bit)

Be thankful for every little thing you can do. From button a button, zip a zpipper. Cook do dishes. Find time every day to count your many blessings and learn to look at your cup as half full instead of all the i can nots........
One last thing to add, share with your kids and your so one special christmas memory from your younger days that meant allot to you.
Sometimes it is not about what is out there but what is deep with inside of you

Old 10-28-2008, 08:07 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

What a wonderful post. Last year, I ordered everything online and it went so well for me that I did not mind paying the shipping charge in the slightest. It was so worth it because the items came to the door and suprisingly were packaged in brown boxes so my kiddos carried them upstairs and put them on my bed. So all I had to do was wrap them and stick a label on them. Then the children carried them downstairs and put them under the tree.

Last night, I placed my orders and am 90 % done with shopping. I need to get hubby one additional gift and then I need to buy the stocking stuffers. I highly recommend this method for anyone who suffers from chronic pain. It takes away all the pain and suffering and the crowds in the stores.

For baking last year, I mixed up several different types of cookie doughs the day before and then I invited a couple of girlfriends and their children over the following day. We baked, decorated cookies, and strung popcorn all together for the day and listened to Christmas music. We had so much fun and plan on doing it again this year. Fortunately, my girlfriend helped me get thru this special day since she realized how important it was to me, and she did alot of the cleanup on the day of the event (PRAISE The LORD). I must admit premixing the dough the day before helped considerably because we did not have alot of messy bowls or flour on the counter because it was made and cleaned up the day before.

I will not deny by the end of the baking day, I could barely stand up but to hear our children's laughter and squeals of delight made it so worth it. We realize that our children will have some memories they will cherish forever which is what matters the most to me.

I believe even though we do have chronic pain we can make the holidays just as much fun for our family. We simply need to figure out how to do things a little differently than before, spread it out more in the months prior, and make ourselves a little more organized than in previous years so that we can create those magical moments.

Last edited by ms_west; 10-28-2008 at 08:18 PM.

Closed Thread