It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Pain Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2008, 06:43 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User
PM appointment yesturday

Hello everyone, Had PM appointment yesturday & ask his opinion on cervical surgery along with lumbar problems. After looking at my MRI he said the problem is very noticable & everything else has been tried so go ahead with the surgery. He raised my Avinza to twice aday & in hopes it will give me more pain control. I explained about my husbands lay off & the need to work. Although he does not know how I am managing work with the pain & on the meds he was understanding, which I appreciate more then I can say.

He will continue to see me after the cervical surgery & at that time look into the lumbar. He feels we need to hold off any more testing on the lumbar due to the cervical surgery, then he would tackle the lumbar issues. I am relieved to know he will be there for me. He also said to call if I have any questions before the surgery or any problems, that at least makes me feel more secure.
I heard someone call & explain the they had lost their medical, which is happening to people here in this state like crazy. I have to believe he cares as the receptionist came back to tell that person he would charge a 50.00 office visit rate for them, which is less the my pcp charged when last I had no medical. It just felt good to hear that at least he was willing to work with people.
I had over an 1hr wait to get in & when I did get in the assistant came into the room to tell him that another patient & his wife were extremely upset with the wait & that the man was in pain. I told him he could go & see that gentleman & I would wait, he said no that my time was valuable to & he was sorry he was running so late but I waited my turn & he would have to wait his. I really did not care but thought if only that man heard some of the stories I hear here he would have realized sometimes a good doctor is worth the wait.
I am not sure if the increase of Avinza will work but am hoping for the best, I put a call in this morning to schedule the surgery. My PM said that if I can get it close to the 1rst of Dec. I should feel at least somewhat better by christmas, that would be nice.
I am glad there are doctors that still will work with people, I know when I lost my insurance in the past not one doctor adjusted my fees for an office visit. Its good to see & thought I would share this with you all. God bless, Sammy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-06-2008, 07:25 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rayefaye HB User
Re: PM appointment yesturday

Hi Sammy, I'm glad to hear you're going to get the surgery soon and hopefully it won't take long for you to recover. It's also warms the heart to hear you have such an understanding doctor who was willing to work with people who have lost their insurance. Not many doctors will do that nowadays. Also glad to hear that he'll be there to help you before and after the surgery so at least you won't have that to worry about. I hope that the increase in your medication will help you out with the pain until you can get the surgery.

Old 11-06-2008, 08:25 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User

Thank you Ray, it really did make me feel I at least was under the care by a doctor who cares by hearing he would continue to treat someone for a reasonable fee without insurance. I forgot to add he did ask where my husband was yesturday & wanted to know what my husband thought about the surgery, for some reason my husband seems to stick with him, before I could answer his question he said " oh your husband just wants to see you without pain & he is telling you go ahead with the surgery" Of course that is exaclty what my husband said. Funny I swear he remembers more about my husband then I think he does me. He even ask if he was in the waiting room. My husband speaks up alot & pretty much asks whats next & thanks my PM for all that he does. I could not help but think Gee you would think my husband was the patient. I did tell my husband that my PM was asking about him & he just chuckled. He thinks he is a pretty good doctor & god knows we have seen many.
I am waiting for the surgeon to call to schedule & of course am nervous. the shoulder surgery was so painful I hope this is not so bad. I will be so thankful to have some better days & I realize that this may not take care if it all but I would love to just have some of my life back. I have the lumbar to deal with but that is more controllable thus far. Would be nice to be able to come on here & have a good story to tell, especially after not being able to get a diagnosis for all these years. This has showed me that problems can exist with out much showing on any tests. Does not matter I have you all to thank for so much. God bless, Sammy

Old 11-07-2008, 08:48 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

trowftd3 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyo1 View Post
Would be nice to be able to come on here & have a good story to tell, especially after not being able to get a diagnosis for all these years.
Hey, Sammy, it could be worse. This good news. You have a pm who has a plan. He's obviously made a connection with your hubby.lol But, this is a good thing..he's not going to forget you.

I hope your surgery helps your pain. Think positive! I'm curious to see how this effects your chest pain and scapular pain...whether this helps or whatever you end up doing in the lumbar region. Please let me know as I have these issues but my doc won't go any further toward diagnosing something(ie discogram).
Let us know when your surgery is and exactly what they're doing. Like Chrissy, I'm curious. Is it acdf? Hang in there, think positive and take care.~Mush

Old 11-08-2008, 04:53 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ok ladies ACDF with the cage, thus far, & he does not take from the hip.
I am going with an ortho surgeon & they called to tell me they will call back monday with a date. Took 3 day for them to call & tell me that.
I am convinced that my daughter did something when she hit me with the grocery cart, my pain is up up up, in my entire back. I just hope its just the muscles. Having pain I did not have before in my right buttock hip area. I am thinking something happened as she was zipping along pretty fast & knocked me off my feel. If not for the frito lays rack I would have went down,lol. I am thinking I might be better off without her help next time I go to the grocery store,lol.
Sky I feel the exact same, this pain is all over the place & is so unpredictalble its driving me crazy. My chest is so tight this morning I can feel the mucsles twithing in there & my lower back feels like it in a vice just as the upper does. There is aton of pressure in my left breast area, down to the ribs. I hate when that area is acting up scares me. I think there must be some major spasms in there this morning. I am going to have to up my valium at night to see if it will help in the morning.
I am content with my PM & know I am lucky to have him after all I have been through & all I have read here about some of others experiances. If not for learning from all of those here I would not have known how to choose a PM so carefully.
I am glad he considers my husband & seems to get that my husband knows how I am with the pain & the meds. My husband let the PM & the surgeon know that the meds are not by choice & he knows that I would love to see the day I do not need them anymore. I guess they need to hear that from a source other then myself. I have come to the realization that other doctors do not understand why these meds are so needed like a PM doctor. The surgeon made a comment on all the meds I take. I thought you deal with the spine you should understand how much pain it can cause when there are problems there, but I guess not. He made a comment that cancer patients take these types of drugs & do I realize that. Yes I do considering I have a sister in law that passed last year of cancer & a sister just told she has cancer & was just put on narcotics. Sometimes I dont get these doctors. They treat these areas & should know how painful it can be.

Sky I am definantly going to need some advice & so grateful to you for offering it. I am starting to prepare within the next couple of weeks.
Have to start my christmas shopping for my daughters, just a few things so they can have a christmas. I dont think I will feel like doing much holiday anything after surgery. So bless you for helping me to prepare, Sammy

Old 11-10-2008, 09:26 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Sammy, how is the med change working out for you? Do you have your surgery scheduled yet? It sounds like we might be recovering at the same time. I just did an update on this board so I won't go thru it here. Hubby and I both would like it done sooner than later so I suspect if I go ahead with my surgery will be before Christmas too.

Have you started shopping yet? I am almost finished. Thanks to online shopping. It definitely makes it easier that is for sure. I need to do the stockings stuff.

You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Old 11-11-2008, 10:31 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmpgirl HB User

Hey Sammers,

Just wanted to pop in and say hi. And I wanted to let you know that I think of you and pray for you every day. I hope this new path is just the ticket to get you back on the road to a pain free life, or at least as much as possible. I know you have a lot of hope for this to work out, and that is half the battle.

You're a fighter, Sammy. And you never quit. So I know you will give this your all and do what you have to do. I admire that so much about you. I look back and read some of the old threads when you first started this journey and I see a really strong woman emerging from that place. I am very proud of you, sweetie.

Take care of yourself and I'll try to pop in when I can and check in on you. I'm always here with all of my pain buddies in spirit. God Bless and be well, CMP/MM

Old 11-11-2008, 03:58 PM   #8
Facilitator
(female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User

Sammy,
I am sorry to ask you, but I guess I missed something here: your surgery will be in C or L areas? Or both?

I know, dear heart, this is not an easy one, but you are too young to have pain rule your life. If you have a chance to improve it - why not to try. I think you are the lucky one b/s they give you hope: surgery is a hope! Would be much worse when they tell you sorry nothing much we can do for you.
At least for me this was a tough day when I heard this. I love to see the light at the end of the tunnel, but if someone shots that light off for you - very hopeless and sad.

Even with all this we have to be strong, we have to fight and you are the fighter. We all have challenges in this life and this is another one for you and your family.
Let's pray and hope you will be doing so much better after your surgery; next summer you will be out and about enjoying your life with NO or at least less pain!

We all are here for you, just come and talk. I don't write as much anymore because my RA rules not only my life, but my arms, neck and hands; very hard to sit for long on front of the computer because of the neck pain; and hands/fingers don't work as well anymore. But i try to read every post and be there for everybody as much as I can.

Best of luck to you!

Old 11-13-2008, 05:25 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bless you all, you all make me feel like I can face what ever is ahead.
As far as the surgery I have to go in next wed. for another visit with the surgeon I believe at that time he will have me schedule it. I had no clue I would have to go in again but the office called & said another visit & to bring my MRIs in again to.
The cervical is to be done now & the lumbar later, he said next year. Something about not wanting to do two surgerys on the spine in one year.
My lumbar is hurting more & more since my daughter did a hit & run on my with the grocery cart. I can deal with the lumbar for now.
I am so sorry Moldova that you are suffering so, I know its hard, I have a sister with RA from head to toe. God bless you.
I have not upped the Avinza yet, I am fearful of having to come off the percocet & avinza. I am trying hard to hold off & its hard. I just worry about my bodies addiction to all these meds. It depends on the surgery date. If its soon I will try to hold off, if not then I may have to go ahead & up the avinza.
I am trying to use my oils & the turmeric for inflammation. I had a couple days where I was not so bad. Still needed my meds but usually I am in so much pain I just force myself to keep going. I wonder if the tumeric is helping me. It would be great. I picked up a sample of another brand & am trying it today. With having to work more due to my husband being laid off I dont have the as much time to rest. Its hard.
I do feel blessed to know I have a chance for more of a pain free life, trust me. I worry about what damage could be there from all these years of letting it go but time will tell. I am guessing if its anywhere it would be in the rib area. Ill take any relief I can get.
I just want you all to know how much I love you all, you are my saving grace & keep me going more then anything else. You are all in my thoughts daily & in my prayers. God bless Sammy

Old 11-13-2008, 07:40 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

trowftd3 HB User

Sammy, I know you've probably heard this before so forgive me but I want to make sure....
I know your fear of addiction and all but if you hold off on the meds and wait until the pain is really, really bad you may not be able to get on top of the pain again. The key is staying ahead of the pain. If you keep your bpl at a steady level then the pain stays controlled and you aren't fighting to bring it back down. Am I making sense? Please ignore me and dismiss me if this doesn't apply to you but it sounded like you were not taking your meds until the pain was almost unbearable. Of course, I'm not saying to take any more than your doctor has prescribed...just take the bt meds if they are prescribed to you. Physical dependence is an unfortunate side effect but addiction is not a certainty. Again, forgive me if you have past addiction issues of genetic issues that you are worried about. I care about you and worry about you. As the other ladies have said...you are a strong woman and you will make it through this and even stronger woman!!! Take care and again, forgive me if I stuck my mouthy mouth were it didn't belong.~Mush

Old 11-13-2008, 10:21 PM   #11
(male)

matt3507 HB User

Hi Sammy: Just a quick hello. Just wanted you to know I will be watching to see how you are doing. I am so grateful you took the time to lift me up last week, with all you are going through.

You are in my thoughts and prayers, matt3507

Old 11-15-2008, 01:53 AM   #12
Facilitator
(female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User

God Bless your soul and body sweet heart...
You have positive outlook and hopefully everything will work out very well for you.
Will be reading your posts and thinking of you.
Hugs and love...

Old 11-15-2008, 04:49 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hello everyone, I am off work today & so relieved I could cry.
Matt I am so pleased to see you here on this board, you will really love the support & CP family here. I will check & see if you put a post up. If not do so, you may get some great advice. I had so much help here when I was choosing a PM & getting ready for appointments honestly I dont know what I would have done without their guidance.
Bless you Moldova & Sky, Mush to.
My heart goes out to you Moldova as I have watched my sister struggle. Once she stood outside her RAs in her PJs waiting for them to open, she was in so much pain she could not take it anymore. So I understand. Some days she cant life her head. RA struck her in her early 20s & she is almost 60.

Mush I have never had a problem with addiction but have suffered withdrawls from steroids & am afraid of having to deal with the perocet & avinza. I am trying to hang on to find out when the surgery is but oh trust me I carry an extra avinza at work & if need be that 12 hrs mark I will take it if this gets much worse. I try to come home & right to bed. I have not filled my avinza for they every 12hrs yet & I know in all reality I will probably have to take it x2 daily. The last LA that I took twice aday dropped my BP so that worries me to & the longer I can hold off I am thinking the longer my body will be used to avinza so if I have to up it maybe it wont be so bad.

I must admitt the surgeon made a comment on the meds & that upset me so.
I am sick of it all. Wake up all hrs just crying in pain & just cant stand these types of comments anymore. That is why I have a PM, I take it he knows what he is doing. Not sure if this surgeon made these comments to push me towards surgery or what but he does not understand what I have been through in the past with doctors & I have 0 toleracne now.

I told my husband if this surgeon is disrespectful in any way he is hearing it from me, I wont tolerate it anymore. my husband did tell him how much I suffer lets hope he remembers. It is not my choice to have to work this much but I do have a family & a house to contribute to & I refuse to give it up with out a fight. People are loosing their homes left & right here & breaks my heart. I am tired of all the meds & pain & tired of ignorant doctors. I was so relieved when my PM said he will see me in Jan. as my lower back is really acting up.
Mush as for what you said yes I have a history of holding back on the meds but I take the percocet every four hrs as needed & if I can go five I am thrilled I am just afraid of upping the avinza. I have learned from you all & my own stubborness not to wait & let that pain go up,up,up. I just feel if the surgery is soon maybe I can make it without the increase & I will let my PM know. I am sure he will tell me to do what ever makes me comfortable. He has spoke to me & my husband about all my meds so we have an understanding.
How funny I see myself as a big baby at times & you all tell me how strong I am that means so much to me. I try, with prayer & faith I honsetly just try to do my best. I finally have time to go over some posts today so god bless & please take care, all of you. Sammy

Closed Thread