It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Pain Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2008, 03:32 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

Blasterboy HB UserBlasterboy HB User
Is it possible to die from Major attack?

Hi All

I landed being rushed to to hospital to ambulance on Tuesday night (two days ago,) the 1st major attack I had I could breath for 20 minutes it felt. I suffer from chronic nerve pain, most likely a damaged intercostal nerve which flanks the diaphragm and so ever time I breathed the pain was off the scale and if I coughed or became emotional the spasms of the pain were so bad I felt I was in an operation, awake and powerless whilst they operated on me.

On the way to hospital I had another crazy attack. My stat's where apparently off the scale and I felt pains in my heart like it was going to pop out and off course couldn't breath until I finally calmed now.

So is it possible to die from these sort of attacks, because, I am so shock up and scared in case it happened again. I take, OXY, tramadol, Topamax, Lyrica, Klonopin, Amiltriptline, Effexor and one or two minor drugs.

Any advice support or opinions please!

Thanks in advance; Blaster

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-07-2008, 05:48 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User
Re: Is it possible to die from Major attack?

I am not sure if I can answer you question directly here but I can tell you when my problems first began I would get such an attack I believe now where muscle spasms in the left chest & ribs that for the life of me I could not get a breathe in. At times it would hurt to much to. Sharp stabbing pains in the chest & tingling down the left arm & tighting in the entire area. Well they were convinced it was cardiac & at twice I was transported to the hospital & they thought it was a heart attack. I will never forget laying there & desperatly triying to breathe, I could not even speak at one point.
My pulse would jump sky high, along with my other vitals. Finally they started to treat my pain & this happened less & less. Till this day it scares me. I have chest pain alot & am praying it goes away with cervical surgery.
If I were you I would be sitting down with your doctor & expressing your fears. I was told if I wanted to avoid this I would have to treat my pain & that was the start of narcotic treatment for me. I remember someone here saying their doctor told them pain or chronic pain cannot kill you but you know when your body reacts like that I am sure its putting you at risk. I would be curious to see what your doctor would have to say. good luck, Sammy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-07-2008, 05:54 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Thanks Sammy. I know that time is blurred cus I asked my Mum affwards, but I couldn't breath properly and talk except extremly quite on occasions for 20 minutes; it was so so scary, you know what I mean. Air is so precious.

Old 11-07-2008, 06:26 AM   #4
(female)

meOmy1711 HB User

blast. i also have problems with the intercostal nerves. I sometimes have a hard time breathing, but have not had the extreem you have had. i can not believe you are on topamax and lyrica! both of those made me feel high, to the point i could not drive my car! one time i had to have my 13 yr old drive me the rest of the way home! (3blocks or so) sometimes i would just have to pull over and throw-up with those meds. lyrica gave me severe leg pain also. i have a friend that takes effexor, and she has really bad panic attacks if she does not take it at the same time everyday!
well i wish you luck! i am sorry you have had to deal with all the breathing problems!
i will be praying for you!
E.

Old 11-07-2008, 07:40 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmpgirl HB User

Hi Blaster,

I am in no way a medical professional, and this is just my opinion, but I was wondering if you have ever been prescribed an anti-anxiety medication. I know you take the Effexor, and that is known to help with both anxiety and depression, but it is not what is considered a "rescue" medication. There are other types of meds, (benzodiazapines) such as Xanax and Valium, that you take only as needed, for panic attacks and such.

While I am sure that your pain issues are causing your attacks, I can't help but wonder if some anxiety is feeding the fire, so to speak. I know when I have a serious flare-up in my chronic pain, I sometimes get a panic attack on top of it. I can't breathe and my heart rate goes way up, as does my blood pressure. I've found that since I was given a script for Xanax, I can take it when I start to feel that way and it keeps it from escalating. This may or not be the case for you, but I just wanted to throw that out there, as a possibility. Good luck with everything. I hope that you can get this resolved. Take care, CMP

Old 11-07-2008, 08:45 AM   #6
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

I'm so sorry to hear about your troubles....Sounds like you were in some major pain.

Anytime breathing becomes impaired, all sorts of things can happen. Additionally, the heart is our main muscle that drives our body. When it's involved, either over driven, or too slow, yes things can happen.

Undesirable things can happen both ways....Too much anxiety or too fast of a heart rate can cause a heart attack. When some OD, or take too much med, they invariable "go to sleep." **REMOVED**

The take away is that it's critically important that you work with your Doc on all your conditions. He or she is the best suited to advise you. Given all the meds you're one, it can be a delicate balance to keep everything in order.

Take care, and I hope you start to feel better.

Regards,

Ex

Last edited by Mod08; 11-07-2008 at 12:59 PM. Reason: T.V. Shows/popular figures discussions are disallowed.

Old 11-07-2008, 09:13 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

zoey1 HB User

Can you die from attacks. Well it depends, pain can affect and color everything. If heart is not functioning as it should then there could be issues.
Breathing impaired serious stuff.
You did the right thing going to er and getting help.
I know most of us have flare ups and some moniter blood pressure. Many of us should go in when things are out of whack and just do not. From the cost of happening to being afraid they will not help you.
That question you asked best be answered by your doc. Depending on your diagnoses most of the time if worse occurs it is due to failure of some sort.
If conserend get work up check up labs and see what the current the status is.
I do wish you feel better soon good luck ask questions take care of yourself

Old 11-07-2008, 09:22 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

trowftd3 HB User

I agree that anxiety on top of pain can make everything worse.
I, too, have pain in my chest and it hurts when I breathe. Without medication I cough until I vomit and have to try really hard to stay calm so I don't panic from the pain.

Please let your doc know all of your fears. I hope you can work something out.
does your current medication regime make your pain tolerable??
I hope things work out for you. Please keep us posted.~Mush

As for your original question...can you die?....this scares me too.
Just my opinion....I'm scared that if my heart is weak enough....the increased blood pressure from the pain and panic could cause something deadly.
Ask you doc.

Old 11-07-2008, 10:48 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

lfoster21 HB User
Wink Re: Is it possible to die from Major attack?

I began having similar episodes, a few weeks after my spinal cord implant was put in. My PM sent me to see a cardiologist, after I had a full day of these and I thought I was having a heart attack. I couldn't breathe, I was dizzy (from not breathing properly), I had terrible chest pains that led me to grab at my heart. I had an Echo. done and it showed that the heart structure was very good, and I was not having heart attacks. Then I wore a 2 week event monitor, and the Dr. noticed that each time I had an episode, my heart rate was anywhere from 180-205. He told me that was why it was painful and it felt like I could not catch my breath. I had figured out that each time it happened, if I sat down and concentrated on my breathing, it took anywhere from 10-20 minutes to calm down. But as soon as I began to move, it came back again.

The Cardiologist said that it was his opinion that it was either due to my meds., my stimulator, from having my body go through so many treatments, in sucha short time...or any of the above. But my heart was strong, and as long as we could keep the attacks down to a minimum, I would be fine. I am now taking Beta blockers, that help with the episodes very well.

Lorie

Old 11-08-2008, 03:34 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

yes, whe I'n going into spasm phases, emotion is my worst enemy, especially given it's nerve pain - figure the rest. I'm so glad to find others who are like me it helps. The grabs of the heart (Foster) because the pain in it was so pain from my arching of the body and shaking and yelling and all that we all know about, it staining the body and the nurse told me that if I didn't calm down I'd damage my heart. Iike this helped!!!!!! Never again do I want to spasm like that in pain. I am so scared in case it happends again. My persception of level 10 has totally changed. I hope it never changes again!

Old 11-08-2008, 10:51 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

lfoster21 HB User

It might be helpful to think of something that helps to relax you, before you have one of these attacks. That way you will be prepared to begin the relaxation process right away. It might be closing your eyes and imagining you are somewhere peacful (I know it sounds korney ), praying, humming, even closing your eyes and "watch" or "count" each breath that you take. If you are counting ea. breath, you will have to be more aware of your breathing. Obviously, what your nurse said about having to calm down is true, but calming down when you are in the middle of the attack, seems like a rediculous request. But if you practice a calming routine, while you are not in the middle of your attack, it will make it easier to do.

I had to smile when you talked about your "10" being totally different that what you had previously thought it to be...I always tell the nurse that I will never say I am at a 10. When they ask me why, I tell them that I have found that just as soon as I think I am at a 10...there will most likely be a day where it gets even worse than I thought it could. I figure if I am still living and breathing, that "10" can always get worse.

I hope you can find a way to get yourself "un tense" if this ever happens to you again. For me, it happens weekly.

Lorie

Old 11-15-2008, 03:01 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

Thanks so much guys. They put me on a large dose of Lyrica so the pains it really hellps, but it's leaving me a fruit cake; I can take a pill and the med allows me to reduces my oxy and Klonopin. I mean going from a pre "war" level orignates for me and I had to increase with allowance and then an increase of klnopin, they helped........ But nothing like Lyrica!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Mod08; 11-15-2008 at 10:31 PM. Reason: dosages are not necessary for discussion purposes.

Old 11-15-2008, 05:39 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

lfoster21 HB User

I am very happy for you. Some times it just takes time to play around with the various meds, to find what works best for you.

Have a good eve,

Lorie

Closed Thread