It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Pain Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2008, 09:22 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User
Sorry I have not been here alot

Last week I was supposed to have my appt, to discuss my final decision concerning revision surgery including a new level of fusion as well as review my new MRI but it was cancelled at the last minute. My surgeon had an emergency case, the patient had the bowel/bladder problems and needed immediate surgery. Poor thing. Anyway I am scheduled to see him this Thursday morning around 11:30. They moved us , yep US , to the last appt of his day because you know sometimes I just think when it rains it pours.....

To make a long story short, my 13 year old daughter has been really sick and hurt her trapezius muscle we thought. Well according to my daughter's peditrician, her MRI/CT Scan shows that she has cervical compression which is why she is dropping things. I forget what level he said. You have to understand that not all of you know but I have a history of spinal lumbar problems, was even told my pain would be chronic and is failed back surgery, and when I heard compression, I flipped out and did not hear alot of what the doctor said. My history and spinal journey has been extremely complex and immediately my anxiety set it. Why my daughter??

Right now we are doing the tens unit and physical therapy trying to relieve her pain. Her ped doc does not feel seeing a surgeon is necessary at this point but SORRY I have been thru heck and back with my problems you had better believe my darling baby is seeing a surgeon. We are not messing with this.

I talked to my surgeons nurse and she moved us to the last slot of my surgeons day so that we will have plenty of time to talk about my daughters case as well as mine decision to go ahead with the surgery or not.

I wish I could take all of you to this appt so that you can help me to absorb everything and make the proper decisions. I have a headache thinking about it all. Can you imagine? Hubby is going with us.

I am still trying to homeschool thru all of this and do some computer work on the side. So can you see why I have not been around??

My pain has been increased. Don't get me wrong, my pain is the best controlled it has every been but I take large amounts of meds and am needing to take my breakthrus almost everyday the past 3 weeks. I think part of it has to do with the weather change, stress, having to help my daughter move from a laying position to an upright position (not good to lift her with my unstable back), etc.

I am truly frightened about making the decision to go ahead with surgery but I almost feel that I have no choice but to try and reduce my pain. I think I am smart enough to know that I will never be off meds 100% but I would prefer being on something not as strong as oxycontin.

Please know that you are all in my thoughts and prayers.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-11-2008, 01:28 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

trowftd3 HB User
Re: Sorry I have not been here alot

No....you should know that you are in my thoughts and prayers.

I have a daughter with undiagnosed problems that we've been searching for answers for years now. She just keeps getting worse and worse and the former honor student who had dreams o f Harvard is now flunking out of school.
Sorry to ramble about my problems but I just wanted to let you know that you"re not alone. Nothing is worse than worrying about your kids. I hope you get things straightened out soon.
How may kids do you homeschool? We've homeschooled before and now that my daughter's struggling we are homeschooling part time again.

Again, good luck and don't worry about not posting...we all have our moments...or many, many moments.lol

Old 11-11-2008, 04:55 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User

Pepper I am sorry. How old is your daughter? I am thinking that childrens bodies may be different then adults & wondering if there are pediatric surgeons? As with broken bones children have better chances of healing so I am told so perhaps if anything surgical has to be done she may do better then most adults, I am thinking out loud here. I do believe its smart to talk to a surgeon & ask a time frame for trying PT or anything else.
I had a wonderful ped. for my daughters he was a firm believer in calcium & vitamins for children. Now that I am dealing with myself & injuries & my clients I realize how right he was. I just took my client to her doctor for her bone density results, as she has broken 2 bones in a matter of months we were told to put her on a good calcium twice a day with milk & yogurt, her density in her back are has improved, thats the only area thus far, but better then nothing. Not sure if you have your daughter on calcium but I would get her on if you dont. You have nothing to loose. I understand this may not have anything to do with what has caused her problems but perhaps it will help in any healing process. I feel for you as moms our children are our world. Have you tried the peppermint oil on her? I will keep you all in my prayers & please try to be careful so you dont aggravate your back to much.
I am with you as far as anything that could reduce the meds & I am anxious to here about your MRI. God bless, Sammy

Old 11-11-2008, 10:03 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmpgirl HB User

Pepper sweetie,

I'm so sorry this has hit you like this. As if it's not hard enough to have to deal with our own pain...... but when our kids are hurting it is just heartbreaking and frustrating, especially when there are no specific answers yet. I hope the doc can give both of you some answers. And have hubby bring a pad and pen or even a mini recorder if the doc will allow. This way you'll have a record of everything he says.

I haven't been on much myself, and I completely understand how life can just hit you in the knees and knock you down. But, you have shown such strength over the last several months and you have still taken care of your family and kept the home ship afloat. I know you'll get through this. As the saying goes, "with love, all things are possible". And there's a whole lot of love in your world sweetie.

I'll be checking in when I can, so please keep us posted when you get the chance, OK? You are always in my thoughts and prayers. Many hugs to you and your family, CMP/MM

Old 11-11-2008, 03:45 PM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User

Dear Diet,

so very sorry for all what is going on with you and your daughter. Nothing worse than to see your kids suffer and not be able to help them. Plus your own health issues...

I wish I could help you more. Just want you to know that my heart goes out to you and my prayers with you and your daughter...

Best wishes. Just know that we all are here for you.

Old 11-11-2008, 05:55 PM   #6
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Hey Pepper....Just wanted to say "hello" and that I miss your posts. I hope all is ok and that you start to feel better. I'm very sorry to hear about all you're going through.

Take care,

Ex

Old 11-13-2008, 07:21 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Frosty6 HB User

My dear sweet diet,

I too haven't been around lately. I snoop when I can to see if I can find you and some of the others but often I am on the go. I am so sorry to hear all that you are going through. The decisions you are faced with are not easy ones. I pray you will indeed find great pain relief with your surgery and I will lift your daughter up in prayers as well. I am certain I would do exactly what you are doing. We go through enough circles ourselved, don't mess with our babies.

Love and peace,
Lisa

Old 11-14-2008, 12:43 PM   #8
(male)

matt3507 HB User

Hi Pepper:
You are in my thoughts and prayers. You may not remember, but 2 years back or so your post lifted me up so much. I wish I could do the same for you. Your problems are far more serious than mine, but my pain puts me down on the floor sometimes, so I can relate just a little. I've got stickies around the house and in my diary: "this too, shall pass". Sorry, puny suggestion.

Also, about 6 months back, I bought a Qi-Gong tape, and learned a form. It is the Turtle form. So gentle, it has really helped my ROM. I hope this lifts you and your daughter up just a little. I'll be watching the boards for you.

Blessings to you, matt3507

Old 11-14-2008, 07:31 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

zoey1 HB User

Been busy here too with contractors work is being done finnaly...
I understand it is one thing when dealing with our own issues is hard enough but adding a kiddo with their troubles to the mix just is heart renching .....
While i get you are scared of expense out come and lack of releif if you go ahead with the surgery, the back of your mind has that little candle of hope that it will take care of everything.....
I wish you the bestest out come gentle breeze peace in your heart and answers for both you and your daughter. Remember even if you get go ahead from your surgon if your heart /head says not now or no trust your gut.
You are not alone.............

Old 11-17-2008, 09:42 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Thank you for your love and concern. My daughter has a compressed nerve in her neck but appears to be doing some better for now. PRAISE GOD. I worry about her and we are doing everything to start strengthing her up and I am working on obtaining a referral to see a childrens neurosurgeon just to be safe.

I am hanging in there myself with increased pain. I think lifting my daughter for those couple of weeks did in my back. She could not raise from a laying position to a sitting position so who pulled her/raised her up --- MOM with the bad back. Not good but come on she is my baby and I helped her as any other Mom would do. Now I am paying the price.

I saw my dr and he has now ordered a discogram. It is being done this Thursday and they are not sure if it will work or not due to my spinal birth defects. So if you could, please say a prayer that they are able to do the test and my doctor is able to obtain the information he needs to make a surgical plan to reduce my pain.

Someone asked about homeschooling and I homeschool my 10 year old son and 13 year old daughter. Let's just say time consuming.

Again, I may not post much anymore but I do read. Please know that I do care and you are all in my thoughts and prayers.

Love ya and miss you.

Old 11-18-2008, 11:31 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

trowftd3 HB User

Good luck with the discogram. I hope it tells the docs what they need to know to help you. Please fill me in on the procedure after you have recovered as this is the one test my doc has mentioned. He hasn't done it because he says at this point it would hurt me more than help me...even though it would tell us what the problem is.

I know how hard it is to homeschool...we've done it in the past and the more I think about it the more I think I need to pull my 11 year old out of school.

I hope your daughter feels better with every day that passes. My 16 year old daughter is now going to school 1/2 time because of her medical issues...for which we still don't have a diagnosis. But, that's another story. Hang in there and take care of yourself. You're in my thoughts and prayers.~Mush

Closed Thread