It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Pain Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2008, 01:45 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

trowftd3 HB User
My update...doc visit today...

Saw my doc today.
She said that if I had a reaction to the Nortriptiline(I fell and bruised my tailbone...very dizzy) then I can't take any tricyclics and she put it in my chart next to the 'no nsaids'. She said she had one more med to try...gabapentin. She is starting me out on a super low dose and said it probably won't even help at first because we're going to go up really slow. That being said she said if I take it for a week and don't like it I can stop and we will be done with it...no more guinea pig! Yipee. If there are no problems then she will increase it a little at a time to see if it helps me at all.

Other news: since my brother has colon cancer I get to get my first colonoscopy!!!Everyone I've told has said...oh, I'm sorry but I don't care. If it keeps me healthy..oh well. Does anyone know what kind of sedative they give? Versed? This didn't work for me when I had my nerve block for my arm surgery. Should I wean myself down really low on my meds for the special occasion? I know...you"re not doctors...I'm just thinking out loud.

My doctor went to a seminar and heard my pm speak. They've never met. But, she was impressed with him...so all is good...everyone's on the same page.

Good health to you all....wishing you days with less pain...thanks for listening and Jon...sorry for the'...'~Mush

Old 11-11-2008, 10:22 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmpgirl HB User
Re: My update...doc visit today...

Mush my friend,

I 'm sorry I haven't been around as much, but I know you understand. My brother is having some issues with his radiation and some personal stuff, so I haven't been able to focus much on anything. But we'll make it through this.

I took the gabapentin (Neurontin) several years ago and wasn't too happy with it. But, I didn't have really bad nerve pain at the time either, so it might not have been the right med at the time. It can have a tendency to make you a bit woozie at first, even if your med tolerant, so just be careful the first few days. Don't want to aggrivate that tailbone!

I am pretty sure the standard meds for a scope are demoral (or similar) and versed. Some people zonk right out from versed and others don't, so it's a bit of a crapshoot (no pun intended!) Like Sky said, just let the gastro know how it affected you (or didn't) the last time. He might adjust for your needs. And as for the cleansing part....... Well, just make sure you have lots of TP and no need to leave the house that day. There are a couple of options now, besides the old mag citrate. I have never been able to drink that stuff. But there are pills now. Haven't tried them yet, so I can't give an opinion.

Good luck with everything, and please know that you are always in my thoughts and prayers. I'm here for you, hon. Maybe not as often in person, but always in spirit. Many hugs and prayers, CMP/MM

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-12-2008, 01:03 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

trowftd3 HB User

Gee, Thanks Guys! I was only thinking of the procedure itself....hadn't thought about the yummy day before. LOL I'm sure it won't be fun but that's ok. I'd rather just get it over with so if there is anything going on we've caught it early. I just found out my brother's surgery is Dec 17th.

Cmp, Your brother is in my thoughts and prayers(you too) so I hope things work out for him.

My doc is starting me off really, really slow with the new med. She said it probably won't do anything at first but i it does and I don't like it I can stop right away. I'll keep my fingers crossed. I've taken it twice so far and am not feeling anything funny so...so far, so good. Thanks for your help...both of you.
Take care.~Mush

Old 11-12-2008, 07:33 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

hessie28 HB Userhessie28 HB User

I know you have tried alot of meds. If the Gabapentin doesn't work then you may want to ask about Topamax. I was on 1800 mgs of Gabapentin and I was retaining alot of water which is a side effect. Neither helped me but may help you.

Sorry to hear about your brother. I've had two Colonoscopies and I am 43. It runs in my family so they want me to have every 5 years. As they say, the worst part is the night before. I mixed the drink with diet sprite and it went down better then the last time. A hint is not to over eat or anything the day before clear liquids. It makes the night before much easier if you get my drift. The procedure is nothing. All you remember is getting put out and waking up later in recovery. You just can't drive the rest of the day.

Old 11-13-2008, 08:04 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

trowftd3 HB User

Thanks for the advice Hessie. Since I tend to get constipated(because of medication) without my Miralax I will be very careful the week before!
Which reminds me...I forgot to pick up some Miralax. I ran out the day before yesterday...not good.

I will talk to my doc about the Topamax if this doesn't do anything. I've heard that it's a preventative for migraines(which I get) but I didn't know it helped with chronic pain in general.

I think my doc is trying to find something I can take in conjunction with my pain meds so it doesn't look like that's all I'm taking and haven't tried anything else. I think she's more worried about 'big brother'. She mentioned at my last visit that I was taking a large amount of medication...it never bothered her when she prescribed it.(I've been on my current dose for awhile) I also had my first ua since I started taking pain medication five years ago. And she also asked me at this last visit if I had signed a pain contract. I've signed one at my pm's office and at her office. I guess it's easier to ask me then to look through my chart. I just hope the day doesn't come when she decides she can no longer prescribe to me. I hate to even say the thoughts out loud. I know that many of you have been through this nightmare. I am truly blessed. My doctors not only care for me but actually care about me.~Mush

Old 11-13-2008, 08:35 PM   #6
(female)

shananava HB User

Sorry to hear about your brother. Hope they get your meds worked out.
I have always been given fentanyl/versed combo for colonoscopies. The last time I had an endoscopy, which is basically just the other way, the nurse told the doc I was already on fentanyl. He said I would be ok but I woke up. Not a good experience. Not sure what pain meds you are on. The nurse asked him if he wanted to add benadryl because of my fentanyl patch and he said no. They dosed me up w/ something after I woke up, was loopy on and off for a while. Just something to think about. They give u meds so u wont remember and Im sure it is a good thing.
Best wishes,
Shannon

Old 11-15-2008, 04:59 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User

Mush I am sorry about your brother, alot of us seem to have some sick family members at the present. I hope all goes well for him & will add him to my list to pray for. I think its smart for you to have the test done, besides it should relieve you mind just to know.
I am glad to hear you wont be experimenting much longer, that can be scary.
I love to hear from those who have good docs, gives others hope. God bless & let us know how it goes with you. God bless, Sammy

Closed Thread