It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Pain Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2008, 06:52 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

frank_n_beans HB User
If you could describe your pain as being anything..how would you describe it??

I was reading another post under the pain management board and saw that someone posted that they think of their pain as a "burrowing hedgehog" and another person describes theirs as "a tiny policeman with tasers."

My DH and I always say my pain is a little gremlin living inside of me who is going crazy..wreaking havoc...running around and doing bad things. Kind of like the gremlin on the airplane wing in that twilight zone episode.

I've been reading a book about chronic pain and the author suggests patients doing this exercise as a way of putting a "face" on their pain. So, how do you see yours??

Old 11-11-2008, 07:34 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User
Re: If you could describe your pain as being anything..how would you describe it??

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_n_beans View Post

I've been reading a book about chronic pain and the author suggests patients doing this exercise as a way of putting a "face" on their pain. So, how do you see yours??
An interesting concept. What's the authors reasoning behind this?

I can very accurately describe the type of pain I have, or the intensity, but I've never thought of it in this manner.

Ex

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-11-2008, 08:39 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

frank_n_beans HB User
Re: If you could describe your pain as being anything..how would you describe it??

I'll have to go back to the portion of the book where the author describes this exercise but if I remember it correctly it is just a way of making the pain more tangible...and I think a way to have a sense of humor about it (which is often really difficult for patients like us but I think, in the end, having a sense of humor is always positive)...

Old 11-12-2008, 04:14 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

allanbruce HB Userallanbruce HB Userallanbruce HB Userallanbruce HB User

An old friend of mine showed me how to explain the pain in his lower back. He grabbed a piece of skin under my arm, the white sensitive part, and twisted it. Wow that hurt, and to someone who does not understand it was a good comparison, only we have it all day. Hope that helps. Allan

Old 11-12-2008, 08:32 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

momzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB User

I tried to explain this to my husband-its like someone kicked me hard in the back with a steel-toed cowbot boot and left the boot when he was done.
He got it at that point!

I get gremlins too-when the pain moves around and you get "pains" in parts of your body where nothing is wrong! Referred pain I guess but still feels weird.

Blessings
Michelle

Old 11-12-2008, 10:04 AM   #6
(male)

marbelmo HB User

It feels like my mid back has broken and the jagged vertebre at the top and bottom of the break are always moving and slipping around on each other. I've had dreams where I can reach inside myself and pull them apart for a few moments of relief.

Old 11-12-2008, 06:30 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

janiee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB User

Mine feels like someone shoved a long pipe up my spine, and it's still there!!--janiee

Old 11-12-2008, 07:16 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

hessie28 HB Userhessie28 HB User

It is interesting how everyone describes their pain. For me it feels like someone mixed up a barrel of cement and set it in my lower back. I have hard lumps which is muscle.

Old 11-12-2008, 10:29 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

allanbruce HB Userallanbruce HB Userallanbruce HB Userallanbruce HB User

I definitely go along with the barrel of cement or concrete as we call it in Aussie. Or when I am laying down it is like someone has hold of my hips and is trying to pull me down through the mattress. Allan

Old 11-13-2008, 02:54 PM   #10
(female)

teri1978 HB User

i feel like @ 4 people (or something) is playing tug a war in my lower back and stretching every direction, down my butt, leg and so on, just to the point of being ripped and pulled apart and i'm also dragging around a ball and chain around my foot, yeah that's it fun stuff

Old 11-13-2008, 07:25 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

trowftd3 HB User

I am the person with the burrowing hedgehog. It does help explain to other people even though I still don't think they get it. No one can understand the 24/7-eternity quality of chronic pain until they experience it for themselves.

It's also funny how my descriptions of my pain have changed over the years. when I first started Pain management I told my docs that it felt like I had a hard scratchy loofah in my chest. They used to greet me with..."Oh, it's the Loofah Lady!" Now that pain has gotten worse and progressed to the burrowing animal. The pain near my scapula changes from the shower scene in Psycho(think of the in and out ee-oo-ee-oo) to a fiery hot poker stuck in my back being thrown by this guy:!!!

Interesting topic.~Mush

Old 11-14-2008, 02:24 PM   #12
(female)

10sox HB User

Mine feels like someone is taking a knife, digging and twisting it deep into my buttocks and then stabbing me down the leg, deep into my bone. I also say it feels like a deep ache that goes to my bones and doesn't ever go away.

My back just feels stiff, old and broken.

Old 11-14-2008, 02:46 PM   #13
Inactive
(female)

frank_n_beans HB User

Hehe.."Loofah Lady"...you totally crack me up!! Seems like you have a great sense of humor through all of this, which is great. I try to as well...it sounds cheezy but laughter is really good medicine. Given that my pain started when I was 16 and I'm only 29 now, I feel like I had no choice but to have a sense of humor about my situation (not all the time, mind you..I def. have my days where I am a cranky mess). When I had my stim trial, I was telling everyone I was the Bionic Woman.

Old 11-18-2008, 05:10 PM   #14
(female)

elaine206 HB User

hello elaine206 here wow what a brilliant question to ask.i've had my pain with me now for almost 4 years,i describe it differently all the time,it's sometimes as if my thumb &arm are on fire,burning like crazy,& i imagine a little gremlin sat on my left shoulder with a flaming torch that he is running up &down my left arm.it's the neverendingness of it that really gets to me,

whoever said you need to keep your sense of humour was so right,laughter is wonderful,seeing the funny side ain't always easy but it's always worthwhile

Old 11-18-2008, 06:25 PM   #15
(male)

dmarcus48 HB User

My pain is in my feet (I'm new here). My normal pain feels like someone took those big metal clips (used in an office, black with fold down handles, they come in different sizes), and put them all around my foot where the top meets the bottom. Oh a bad day, like today, if feels like someone has hammered my foot and it's in pieces, like glass.

I posted a hello post on the main pain page, you can read my story there if you'd like.

Dave

Closed Thread