It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Pain Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2008, 07:36 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Frosty6 HB User
Update on Me

I'm sorry I haven't given an update in a while. I have come to the boards and read a few, replied to a few but I haven't been here in a while so I thought I would give you an update so you know that I am still here with everyone. I wish I weren't as we all do. I'm feel so blessed that this board exists. It has saved my sanity on many occassions.

As many of you know I went back to work after 2 1/2 years in June of this year. It has been absolute torture to my body. It has been wonderful mentally, but I am absolutely exhausted and in constant increased pain. Of course I also had a car accident in June but I don't think that caused any lasting problems. My lower right leg is still numb and I still get the spasms in my ankle causing my foot to turn inward. It is so excrutiating. I don't seem to have any painful areas on my left leg but I did notice today that the outer portion of my left leg has a numb area as well. I'm sure this can't be good. I still see my PM every month and he wants me to see a new neuro group. New to me anyway and I did alot of research and will definitely make that appointment when I can.

I only have so many vacation days and I have had to put all of my issues on hold. My 13 year old daughter has been ill most of this year with gastro intestinal issues. We have been frantic trying to get a diagnosis. She has lost 35-40 lbs since earlier this year because of it. It doesn't keep her down too much as she seems to be quite the trooper. My mom has crohn's disease so that is my biggest fear. She had an endoscopy/colonoscopy yesterday but we won't have the results for another week yet. It has been months of testing, testing and more testing with mostly normal results yet no way of easing her pain and constant sickness. It just breaks my heart.

So for now, the focus is on her. Hopefully early next year I will get to make an appointment with this new group. They do everything, fusions etc. through laser surgery so if I have to have that SI joint fused, hopefully I won't continue to look like a rag doll stitched all over.

Does anyone know what could be causing my left leg to start going numb as well? All of my pain is lower back and right buttocks, leg and now middle back and numbness in on the outer portion of my left leg. I'm not looking for a "diagnosis" but anyone that might have gone had this as well.

Well wishes to all,
Lisa

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-16-2008, 01:25 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User
Re: Update on Me

Hello Frosty, I feel the same about work, great mentally to be able to get out there but tough on the body & pain levels. I am so grateful to be able to still get out there but yet know I probably should not do so much.

I am so sorry about the family. That is tough, really tough. To have not one but two ill has to be exhausting at times & you have my prayers.
As far as the leg & back, I have been having some of the same but alot of hip pain. Had an MRI on the C & T & it picked up the L1-2 that shows bulging & fluid issues. The doctors wont do an MRI as of yet in the area because of focusing on the cervical which I am scheduled for a pre-op visit wed. If I can I will ask more about the lumbar. I do have alot of lower back pain & it can radiate into the buttock area & cause some numbness & weakness to. At times I feel as if my knee could collaspe. I am not a doctor of course but I would guess you may have some thing going on in that lumbar area. I am just learning about that area myself. Not sure if you feel the same but I can feel like a ton of pressure in the lower back. Its wise to see a nuero. & see whats going on in there. Please let us know & hope all goes well with your family. God bless, Sammy

Old 11-16-2008, 07:12 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Frosty6 HB User

Awe Sammy, Thanks for responding. I was beginning to feel no love from the board. I changed my name a few months ago as it was too "easy" to identify me in the real world and my buddies just can't seem to remember.

Good luck with the cervical. Are you having a fusion? I had PLIF in May06 but I also have a problem with my SI joint. I think that is causing the most pain but I don't know. The surgeon that did my fusion wouldn't even look into it but I took that as a sign from God to get away from him. My PM doc found it on a routine Xray of all things. Since going back to work my middle back hurts terribly but I don't know if it is the disc above my fusion wearing down or if it is just plain muscle strain from sitting completely ergo correct at work all day and weak back muscles. Either way, hopefull I will find out something in the new year.

I hope they are able to fix the problems completely for your neck and that you will get an accurate diagnosis for your spine/hip. I don't have any knee problems yet thank goodness. I'm supposed to use a cane for support on my bad days but I have found that I do far too much walking at work and it is so inconvenient. More work to use it! About 8 months ago I wouldn't be caught without it so perhaps all of my running around is re-strengthening my muscles. One can hope anyway ha ha.

I will keep you in my prayers as well.

Take care,
Lisa

Old 11-17-2008, 09:28 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Hi Lisa, I am so sorry to hear about your daughter possibly having Crohns and I wanted to suggest something. If you do not have a confirmed diagnosis of crohns, I can't recommend strongly enough that you have work up done by a OB GYN endocrinologist for endometroisis. I was incorrectly treated for Crohns for 4 years, lost over 60 lbs., and was extremely ill. It turned out that the endometroisis had grown on my bowel and caused my bowel to adhere to the abdominal wall so I had alot of bowel symptoms. Just an idea/thought. I pray that she is soon feeling better and that you have a confirmed diagnosis one way or another soon.

Have you heard of Theodore Bayless at John Hopkins - he is world known for Crohns disease and is located in Baltimore, MD. He will get down to the bottom of the diagnosis and was the one who finally put the pieces together in my case.

As far as your symptoms, it sounds like nerve problems and you need to have some updated tests done.

Take care and I apologize it has taken me so long to respond. Lots going on with me lately. Ughhhhhhhh

Old 11-19-2008, 10:19 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sage48 HB UserSage48 HB User

Hey Lisa....hope you get some info. on your daughter's condition this week. I am saying my prayers for you both.. Your numbness sounds familiar to me...I had the pain and numbness on outside areas of my leg prior to the SI joint fusion...the pain and numbness are now gone, thank goodness....but I am still experiencing the pain in the surgical/fusion area...but I go to see Dr. G/S on Friday...appt. is at 10:15....can't wait to speak with him. Standing and walking for periods of time seem to increase this...so I am not a happy camper right now...but we will see what is up on Fri...
I hope that the new Dr. you are going to see can offer some ideas as to how he will treat the pain/numbness that you are now experiencing. Enough of this dallying around...time is passing!! Gotta get this done soon...we all have a life to enjoy and live.
Only good thoughts to you...let us know how your daughter makes out this week.

Leslie

Closed Thread