HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Chronic Pain (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/chronic-pain/)
-   -   Does anyone here use accupuncture for relief? (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/chronic-pain/649976-does-anyone-here-use-accupuncture-relief.html)

hellothereitsme 11-17-2008 10:31 AM

Does anyone here use accupuncture for relief?

Just curious if it has worked for anyone. I have really bad back pain.

ms_west 11-17-2008 09:16 PM

Re: Does anyone here use accupuncture for relief?

Hello,

I have used about 20 sessions of accupuncture. It was helpful during the procedure and approximately 1/2 hour afterwards. So I guess it was short acting.

Now I do know several people that have used it with great success and have a more lasting relief and I have been told that if you don't have success to try someone else because you might have better succcess with someone else.

Good luck and I pray this works for you.

magnoliamt 11-18-2008 10:00 AM

Acupuncture helps me but not directly with pain. It helps me for relaxation and anxiety which is all connected with pain. I had to think about it differently when I went back a couple of times and they couldn't help my back. Now, they help with anxiety and relaxation. It feels like I am getting a massage. :)

dmarcus48 11-18-2008 06:29 PM

I've used it in the past and really felt it helped. I saw an improvement at first (I was going every week), but after awhile didn't believe it was helping so I stopped a couple of weeks ago.

Dave

tiggertoo2174 11-19-2008 03:51 AM

I haven't tried it myself, but my Aunt used it a few times with a pretty good effects. I may try it myself after the first of the year since next year my ins. will cover the same as chiro.

Have you thought about trying a massage therapist? I've been doing that with pretty good effects. My problems are mostly muscular so it's a good fit for me.

Tigg.

MrsChen 03-03-2009 05:26 PM

[QUOTE=hellothereitsme;3796204]Just curious if it has worked for anyone. I have really bad back pain.[/QUOTE]

Hellol there I have had chronic back pain for 22 months now. And I do have acupunture about 2-3 a month..It does help bring your pain level down.
but my pain is so chronic that pain level wants to stay at a 7-8.
but if I can go and have a pain level of 4 for 3-4 days it's great for me
for I need less pain at work.
you need to find a good acupunturtist mine does half hour massage first to get the blood flowing, and then works on pressure points and last does
needles..some acpunturist only put needles in and leave you there.
but find some one that works on your pressure points it will make a big differenece.
I just found out 21 months later my primary care doctor would not give
me an MRI, there where 9 findings and I have Costochondritis which means I have fluid in my ribs and the pain will proably last for the rest of my life
due to my primary care doctors not treating, I was told I just had brusing.l
and acupunture does help
good luck
paula

Sage48 03-06-2009 04:34 AM

In the past I had several accupunture treatments..they helped in the short term, relaxed me/the area where I was having pain. I also, at that time, had massage three times a week. The massage was wonderful!! I think that they both had the same effect, relaxed the injured areas....and I felt better for several hours.

Sage

MrsChen 03-06-2009 09:10 AM

[QUOTE=Sage48;3908972]In the past I had several accupunture treatments..they helped in the short term, relaxed me/the area where I was having pain. I also, at that time, had massage three times a week. The massage was wonderful!! I think that they both had the same effect, relaxed the injured areas....and I felt better for several hours.

Sage[/QUOTE]

Hi Sage,:wave:
I just joined the board and I really enjoy hearing everyones replys,
thanks for writing...:)
I am in Acupunture and he does give me some relief for a few days, I've been to the Acupunturist almost 45 vist's..and I am still in Physical Thearpy..
I have had about 125 PT treatments..
My acupunturist is very good he does a 20 minutes massage, will work on the muscles, do pressure point release, and then do the needles..
your right the massage is one of the best things for me. I can only get a very lite massage due to to the burning pain..:(