It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Pain Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2008, 05:17 PM   #1
(female)

mazinsmomma HB User
Red face Chronic Back Pain for 5+ yrs, need input regarding SDS

I am 39, mom of 4, have degenerative disc disease, spinal stenosis, 3 bulging discs with small tears, and have been on norco and soma for a couple of years. I've done all of the shots in the lower back, no relief. I also have a cervical spine fusion at c5-c7 that helped tremendously. I saw a neurosurgeon for the 3rd time in 3 years and he is recommending a spinal cord stimulator. I am a bit scared and need to know....does it really work? Should I try other pain meds before doing something this invasive?

Last edited by mazinsmomma; 11-20-2008 at 12:18 PM. Reason: Need to be more specific with title

Old 11-25-2008, 07:16 PM   #2
(female)

mfisher2005 HB User
Re: Chronic Back Pain for 5+ yrs, need input regarding SDS

I had the stimulator implanted in Feb 2007 after a trial , I was sedated for the trial and when they first turned it on, tears of joy ran down my cheeks because of the instant relief. I'd had epidural injections every year, pain meds were constantly changed , just couldn't tolerate them. I carry my control with me everywhere. Helps me when I have to walked distances or stand too long. I even sleep with on if I need to. I don't use nearly as much pain med anymore. I try to only use it when I really need it so I don't build a tolerance but go in to get it reprogramed if I need to . can program several programs. I have for just my back, right leg, left leg, both legs and back. It's been a god send for me. I was completely out for the surgery, spent one night in hospital. Pretty sore for a few days afterward but recovered fast. Hope this helped and good luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-26-2008, 08:16 AM   #3
(female)

mazinsmomma HB User

Thank you very much for your response. It was VERY helpful. My Dr. has me on oral morphine right now and norco for break thru pain. I think I'm going to go forward with the trial. I'm tired of not being a "hands on mom" and having to tell my kids that I'm hurting. Again, thank you for the info.

Old 11-26-2008, 07:54 PM   #4
(female)

mfisher2005 HB User

I know what you mean. My kids are in college now, but I still regret missing out on outings with them because it meant I'd have to walk or stand long. I felt guilty all the time. My husband had to do the grocery shopping, which I still hate but the stimulator helps now. It's worth giving it a try. I dont get depressed like I used to because of the pain. For now I have no regrets. Good luck , I hope it works for you. I really like the Advanced bionics precison SCS. I've gone through airport security and it didn't set it off either.

Closed Thread