It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Pain Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2008, 04:01 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User
Unhappy Ouchy

To my friends and cp supporters. I survived and am living. I made it thru my discogram yesterday. They had a terrible time starting an IV and had to use ultrasound to locate the vein to get it started.

The procedure was extremely painful. I would say a 10+.

Anyway per the nurse (she was such as sweetie), I had the level above my fusion light up and she believes the one above that. So it looks like L3 and L4are now pain generators as my doctor suspected. I see my dr. on Monday morning to find out our next step but I will say that there is no doubt in mind that we now have a pain generator and I can move forward knowing in my heart that we are working on the correct level causing the pain.

Due to my birth defect, scar tissue, and previous surgeries they could not test L5 and s1 as the surgeon wanted but he suspected as much before the procedure. Since these areas were previously fused, I don't think that this was so important as the L3 and L4. L2 did not generate pain (well maybe some pressure but nothing significant) and was my control disk.

To anyone that is waiting/going thru one, I don't want to scare you but it is extremely painful and I highly recommend that you have someone around you the next 24 hours to help. I feel bad but I had to wake my honey to help me make some breakfast so I could take my pills. I just can't handle being on my feet at the moment. The pain thru the night has been waaaaaay out of control.

Overall this experience is not fun, but I think it gives me hope that I can move forward confidently and take the risk of another surgery. At this point, I will gladly take some anthesisa -

Last edited by ms_west; 11-21-2008 at 12:27 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-21-2008, 06:13 AM   #2
(female)

shananava HB User
Re: Ouchy

I so feel for you. I had mine last year about this time. I had to have someone stay with me that night. Was so very painful. I hope you are better soon and know where to go from here.
Shannon

Old 11-21-2008, 01:05 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

trowftd3 HB User

Thanks for letting me know how bad it really was. I agree that knowing that you're dealing with the right area is a good thing but was it worth the pain??
I guess I can kind of understand why my pm won't do this procedure on me. He must have some doubts about whether he knows which discs(if any) are causing my pain. We've done bunches of injections without results so...???
Every time I ask about the discogram he says it would hurt me more than it would help me. Maybe I'll never know what it causing my pain. SIGH!!!

Hope you're feeling a little better now, Diet. Thanks for your help.~Mush

Old 11-21-2008, 04:28 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Mush, I think what amazes me more than anything is how these discs looked normal on every piece of radiology. What is even crazier is that the pain in my foot according to dermatones is from the L5 or s1 nerve roots. They were unable to test the L5/s1 level due to my birth defects. My surgeon has been suspect for awhile that not only is my bone structure abnormal but my nerves are abnormal and guess what?? It appears that my nerves are not following the typical pathway because we were able to duplicate this pain by injecting L3/L4 levels during the tests. Hope this makes sense.

I can't wait to talk to my surgeon on Monday. The radilogist told me on the spot that my back is extremely interesting.

Is it worth the pain? I hope so but all I have to say is this is NOT fun. My surgeon does not do them only in rare cases. He does blocks instead but it took him awhile to realize that my nerves are messed up too.

Old 11-22-2008, 05:53 AM   #5
(female)

shananava HB User

From some places I have read some insurance companies require this before surgery and some surgeons do. Its a shame it has to be so painful. I hope you are doing better by now. I so feel for you pain. I must have slept wrong and all the riding and driving this week has piled up on me. Im sick of pain and eating pills that dont even take care of all the pain.
Hugs and blessings,
Shannon

Closed Thread