It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Pain Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2008, 05:16 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User
Surgery date chose, hope I did the right thing

Hello everyone chose the surgery date, Dec 26. I chose that day due to the holidays & work. Have alot to prepare for at work & then with the holidays coming alot to get ready for. Not only that I realize others are busy to & dont want to burden anyone else during the holidays.
Mean while my pain has went bonkers. Up everynight with my arm, hand & fingers. Cant seem to lay throught the night.

The surgeon went over the MRIs again with my husband & explained it all & why surgery is it. The is full compression on one level & partial on the next.

He said it is most likely progressing & the hit I took could have helped the along but the outcome is the same.

I am up 2 to 3 times anight & in so much pain the the perco is only lasting up to 2/12 hrs. For some reason once I lay down it seems to aggravate everything it that C area. I got out of bed & went to the chair hoping I could sleep but still woke up with the same. I am clueless on what to do.
My fingers are so bad, swolllen, burning & my arm I cant move at all when this starts, even the wrist is hurting like mad. I cant touch my fingers to the blanket or even with my other fingers they are so sensitive. This is all on the right which I never had alot of problems with, even on the MRI the worst was on the left so that pretty much tells me the hit from the grocery cart did something.

I am at a loss at what to do.

The surgeon also wants me to hold back on increasing the Avinza & I am trying so hard. He feels it will make it tougher for me after surgery to come off. I am exhausted & tired of waking up every night crying in pain. My husband feels helpeless as there is nothing he can do.

Between work & home there is so much to prepare for & my husband is still laid off so working till after the holidays seemed smart. My job I need to prepare for my leave to, if anything goes wrong I will have no job to come back to & that will be it with my career. It will be to hard to find another in my line that wont require me to be physically able to lift. I am not feeling secure with the workers I have & need to work on that.
I just need to make it till the 26 of Dec, but for now that seems like forever.

Pleae pray for me & for my husband to find work, which would sure make it easier on me. God bless you all & hope thanksgiving goes well for everyone.
Sammy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-24-2008, 12:52 PM   #2
(female)

shananava HB User
Re: Surgery date chose, hope I did the right thing

I will certainly pray for you and your family. I was offered Dec 24th. No way I could do that to my family or the surgeons. They did the same thing last year and I chose the 3rd. This time its on the 14th. I have so much to do, live alone and only want to stay in bed unless I have to go out. I am overwhelmed with things piled up and scared of the pain it will cause. I have to force myself to even take a shower even though it makes me feel better.

I pray everything goes well for you and so relate.
I pray your husband can find work. Its hard enough on one person with one income, I can only imagine your situation.
Blessings,
Shannon

Old 11-24-2008, 07:50 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Sammy, I think the date is actually a good one. It allows you time to prepare and enjoy the Christmas celebration with you family and have you family home the first week you are out of surgery.

I will lift you, your surgeon, and your family up in prayer.

Old 11-25-2008, 02:22 PM   #4
(male)

matt3507 HB User

Wow sammy, sorry to hear your pain is so severe. I don't post every day but I read these boards almost everyday and will be watching for your posts. Sounds like the surgeon really is confident he can fix you. Maybe try visualization. Probably sounds ridiculous, but try to imagine the surgery makes you feel like new and you forget your "back experience" ever happened. Some people call it positive thinking? You are an inspiration to me. I find it incredible that you work in the condition you are in. I will be hoping/visualizing/praying you are fixed after surgery and your husband finds work soon. matt3507

Old 11-25-2008, 03:58 PM   #5
(female)

sassy61 HB User

sammy,iam new as of today.i will pray for you,your sorgeon,and your husband too. i to am having problems like you,just know you are not alone,o.k. I had alumbar lamectomy at L2-3,L3-4,L4-5 ANDAT L5-S1 on Feb.7,2008.Igo tommorrow to see surgeon to set a date for cervical spinal stenosis at C3-4,C4-5,C5-6 &C6-7 SURGERY. I'm scared too,i'll find out tommorrow what kind of surgery he is going to do.

<Edited: Do not post prayers or scripture.>

Old 11-30-2008, 05:51 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User

Thanks everyone,

I am miserable & just trying to hang on til surgery. Up every night & my husband is really upset I did not get in sooner. every thing hurts & its exhausting to try to keep going. I am resting everyday I am off work now. Have not been able to do that but I dont think I could make it if I dont.

Hurts to move to much & I dont feel well, think its just the pain & tireness.
Anyone else get like that?

Welcome aboard Sassy, wow you must be in some pain.
I know its hard to have the upper & lower both hurting, makes me feel about 100 yrs old. In the mornings I shuffle my feet & cant really move my arms so I imagine I look that old to,lol. The lower has been causing me some problems & that has me worried. I dont want to deal with that while trying to deal with the C area. I will watch for you on the back & spinal board & I truely understand how hard it can be to manage with both. Does you entire back or most of it hurt at times? I feel like mine is in a vice.

Matt you are really sweet & let me tell you I am working out of sheer determination, I am pushing myself & although I know its wrong I dont feel secure enough not to work. At least my kids will have some kind of christmas.

If I am going to work with this pain they are going to have a christmas of some sort. I am cutting back alittle to try to rest more. Its just to hard.
I am so exhausted I cant think at times & that is starting to get to me.

I thank all of you for your prayers & good wishes. I really did not know If I was making the right choice but I do know that I do not want to burden anyone during this busy time of the year. My husband is pretty upset with me & that hurts because I thought I was helping out to put it off the surgery. He feels its to much & I should have done it asap. He is not a "mom" & it may sound silly but I wanted my kids to have a good holiday, I know its only material things but I enjoy giving to them & helping pay the bills makes me feel better. Who knows what next year will bring. Where we are there is so many people out of work its just unreal.

I was feeling paniced about the pain & finished most of my shopping just in case. This is tough. The meds are not working as well & I am getting those headaches on & off again. Those scare me. So I decided to do 90% of my shopping just in case.

Had my daughter rub my back with warm oil & peppermint & then iced it down, I have to say that was the first night in a while I slept through.
Thanks again everyone, for all of you going through surgery I will keep you all in my prayers & we will muddle through recovery together.

God bless, Sammy

Old 12-01-2008, 06:38 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

tiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB User

Sammy,

I'm glad you finally got a surgery date. I hope you get to feeling some better even before the surgery. Not sleeping well just seems to make everthing worse. We had to have all our shopping and decorating done by today since hubby is having surgery tomorrow. Better to get it done early. I'll be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.

Tigg.

Old 12-02-2008, 09:26 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

zoey1 HB User

Sammy i am glad you got your surgery date after xmass agree with other poster at least it is not before xmass.
Also while you still have a job and insurance to help you is a good move too.
I found wearing a brace around elbow as well as a hand brace helps with pain/swelling. I found when i cannot lay down on the bed because of pain that the easy chair works well to. Easier for me to get up and down from it as well.
If you are albe prepare some dishes a head of time put them in the freezer using smaller pans/pots baking dishes.
Do cassaroles easiest to manage. If you half to clear out a shelf to do this do it. You will be glad you prepared some meals a head of time.
I hope you have pain support when ortho surgon is done with you.
I also hope you have a better then expected outcome.
Good wishes for your hubby as well.
Remember to do only what you have to rest as much as you can before surgery. You will be in our good thoughts and prayers.
Take care
z

Old 12-07-2008, 07:32 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thank you all, I really could use all your prayers.

I dont feel myself & really am trying hard to stay on top here. I dont regret my choice of surgery dates but boy its tough. I think it will be just in time to save me from climbing in the bed. Just the thought of maybe having a full night of sleep in the future sounds wonderful.

Sassy, what did your doctor say?

I am scared & have not spoke to anyone outside this board about how I feel. I have so much going on & at least with this surgery I will be forced to rest.

I lay in bed many nights thinking can I make it to that date, the pain is way up. I feel for you all here. It is tough keeping up during this time of the year.

After christmas will be a good time to relax, since that is all I will have to do & just think I dont have to make any christmas returns,lol.
I am hoping to have a good christmas with my girls despite all the worrys this year. I will so happy to have some relief & I am grateful to have hope.
Thank you all for being here for me. God bless, Sammy

Old 12-07-2008, 03:05 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Sammy, I wanted to let you know you are in my thoughts and prayers. I know that I have been super bad about posting of late. I feel like I have run a marathon the past couple of days trying to get everything done before my big day tomorrow - December 8th. I am so ever ready myself. I think you get to a point that you just want it to be overwith already so that you can begin healing and getting better once and for all.

I know personally I have not enjoyed the holiday preparations this year at all. It has been more of a chore than celebrating the true meaning of Christmas. Not good.

Anyhow, I know you will come thru this fine. You are a strong cookie. Just look at what you have been thru just getting to this point of a diagnosis. I think that has been your hardest point and now it should be a piece of cake.

I look forward to chatting with you in the days to come. Just give me 4 or so days and then I will be back to myself I hope.

Love you and may you and your family have a happy holiday!!

Pepper

Old 12-07-2008, 06:37 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

IZZY'SMOM HB User

Sammy~
I can TOTALLY relate. Im hanging in there by a thread as you are, and its just the worst trying to go to my son's ball games 6 hrs away twice a week r/t, and trying to shop for Christmas stuff.

I have been Hellbent, that my son is NOT going to suffer this Christmas because of me. And Im dragging myself out to get what I can, and the rest is online. He wants a lot of things I can get online, and Im glad.

I wish I could get surgery...My doc said "no way" until we can find a way to get under my scapula and really give him some room to get rid of the scar tissue. the PT is so painful and when my meds dont help me or even cover my PT, it sucks.

I hope you have a good holiday, dont worry, you arent alone at all. Its so rough , but we can do it. At least I hope I can. I love being able to talk to you guys who know how frustrating it is, but all in all, I have a really hard time facing every day.

Sammy....You are such a good person and support for me and everyone else. Try to hang in there, like you ask me to, and we all have to rely on each other.
xoxoxoxoxo,
IZZY'SMOM

Old 12-08-2008, 01:34 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

trowftd3 HB User

Sammy,
Sorry I have not posted sooner.
Good luck. I understand your feelings about waiting until after the holiday.
You are probably also counting the hours and wishing you could just get it over with...right?
You are super strong...'super mommy'. I know you will make it through the holidays ok. Do what you can and don't worry about the rest. The holidays are about love and family. Keep reminding yourself that when you try to do too much.

Hang in there and know that you are in my thoughts and prayers.~M

Old 12-08-2008, 07:28 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

God bless you all so very much, Mush I know everyone is busy. I have been using this board as my lifeline in a way lately. I dont want to talk to anyone right now much outside this board. Only because I cant explain or get people to understand much.

Izzy I feel the exact same as you, I want my daughters to enjoy this year, not only the gifts but family & being together. It is so important to me. I have been so out of it latley that I want christmas to be special.

Pepper I have thought of you every day. I will be on pins & needles waiting to see how it goes. I feel this same, have not enjoyed preparing this year at all. I am forcing myself to just get it all together.
Pepper I will be praying for you & once my cervical issues are taken care of I will start to focus on the lumbar & perhaps you can help me understand that area better. For now focus on your surgery & recovery & I will be watching closly to see how it goes. you are such an angel to us all & I am praying this all works in your favor.

God bless you all & thank you for taking time. Sammy

Closed Thread