It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Pain Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2008, 12:48 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

IZZY'SMOM HB User
What Can I Expect For My First Pm Visit?

Hi all,
Im hoping you arent tired of be asking all of these questions, but Ive never ever been to a PM before. What can I expect?

Do they test you the first day?
How much time do they spend with you?
Do they write for you the first time or does my doc need to do my refills?
Do they expect you to sign a contract the first visit?
Should I take my hubby with me?

I have SO many questions, and I didnt want to ask the receptionist these questions...

I know every doc is different, Im just trying to get SOME idea as to what to expect. Any help or feedback is so greatly appreciated.

Thank you~
xoxoxoxoxox,
IZZY'SMOM

Old 11-27-2008, 05:28 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

eyesworld HB Usereyesworld HB Usereyesworld HB Usereyesworld HB Usereyesworld HB Usereyesworld HB Usereyesworld HB User
Re: What Can I Expect For My First Pm Visit?

[QUOTE=IZZY'SMOM;3806281]Hi all,
Im hoping you arent tired of be asking all of these questions, but Ive never ever been to a PM before. What can I expect?

Do they test you the first day? I didn't have any tests done, just a lot of questions and paperwork regarding my pain levels
How much time do they spend with you? I had a half hour or so sit down with him
Do they write for you the first time or does my doc need to do my refills? He had my reports from my doc who had retired and yes, he filled my prescription
Do they expect you to sign a contract the first visit? No contract
Should I take my hubby with me? The doctor requested that my husband accompany me at my next appointment so that he (my husband) was clear about what I was taking. It was a good thing. Good communication.

I know every doc is different, Im just trying to get SOME idea as to what to expect. Any help or feedback is so greatly appreciated.
Do you have all of your records from your previous doc? These, it seems to me, should speak for you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-28-2008, 12:23 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

backhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB User

Izzysmom,
Aside from the standard neurological testing , there wasn't any more testing than that.
Some PM's do a urine screen on the first visit to see what you are taking and to make sure that you haven't taken anything not prescribed to you.
Many PM's these days will not write prescriptions for you on the first visit, they wait a month, first to make sure that your urine screen came back as it was supposed to, and secondly to get any records that might be missing from your old doctors. Some want pharmacy records as well, but that is an individual office practice. You might want to call them and ask them if they want you to bring your records or if their office wants to get them, themselves. Some PM offices want the records directly from your previous doctors, not the patient bringing them in.
As far as contracts go, if the office uses them, then you have to sign it on the first visit.
My husband has gone with me, but didn't go to my first visit.
Most of the first visit is filling out paperwork, and talking with the doctor about pain levels, functioning and some basic neuro and muscle testing.
It's not much different than a standard office visit with any other doctor, except for the fact that this is a pain management office.
Back

Old 11-29-2008, 05:39 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User

Izzy,

So glad you heard from the PM.

Let me see if I can remember my first visit. Lord knows I was nervous.
My paper work was sent in the mail before the visit & I was asked to bring it in. Including some of the contract. More to fill out when I arrived. I made copies of most of it for home.

No urine sample the first visit for me.

I did bring my husband & so glad I did. I think its important to show the doctor you have family support. My husband chimed in more then alittle to let my PM know how much pain I was in. The PM appeared to like the fact that my husband was with me, in fact if he does not come with me know he asks about him. He has asked my husband some questions & ask him to watch me when he raised my meds & put me on a new one for any problems. He seems to communicate more when I bring my husband.

I signed a release for my medical records & he went over my pain any DXs & any tests he may want to do. Also went over meds he uses & made it clear his job was to try to find out further what may be causing my pain & do what he could to help me control it but also find anything that may help me in the future decrease or stop the use of meds.

He did want to see my MRIs, the actual films.
He had me fill out a pain chart & asked me what I was on, how it was working & if I needed any refills & also what he would allow me to take as far as quanity per day.

I am glad I took my husband as I could not remember everything & had to ask him what was said. Two minds are better then one at times & this was one of those times. I took notice of his staff, how they treated the patients & how the patients interacted with the PM. He often walked to the counter with the patients. I really learned alot just observing all of this. The staff was accomadating to the patients & very pleasant, the PM joked alot with the staff & patients. I also listened to how they handled calls. Thus far I am pleased.

Hope this helps & cant wait to see how it goes for you. Good luck & god bless. Sammy

Old 11-29-2008, 05:39 AM   #5
(female)

happygirl440 HB User

Hi,
The first time I seen a PM was a year after back surgery. I had my records with me. I got a epi shot on the first visit and a full exam. He listened to every thing I had to say and help me from day one.

I had to change Dr's due to insurance change after 10 years with the first Dr and the second PM I seen said WOW you have been threw a lot all ready as I took my records with me. She refered me out to 5 other Dr's for testing, I had to sign a contract, she tried new scripts for me and I see her ever 3 months for follow up for what works and does not work.

Best of Luck,
Cindy

Old 12-01-2008, 06:17 AM   #6
(male)

lifeaftr40 HB Userlifeaftr40 HB User

My 1st PM appt. I saw the Dr himself along with the Nurse Practioner. from then on I only saw the Nurse Practioner unless I had a procedure. I must have looked "innocent and dumb" because I have YET had to do a UA ( been going for 8 months). I saw the same NP up until last month when I was told they were rotating the NP's. A friend went to same PM but saw a different NP his 1st visit , had to do the UA, was told his 2nd visit that since he had opiates in his system that WEREN'T presribed by them they wouldn't given him any scripts.(Even though he had PCP referral) Since then he has kept every appointment, done every procedure and saw a different NP JUST ONE time who prescribed meds and now he is getting some meds. Even though it is the same PM, each NP kinda does their own thing.

Closed Thread