It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Pain Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2008, 02:44 PM   #1
(female)

babyboomer6 HB Userbabyboomer6 HB User
PAIN and terrible indigestion!

Has anyone out there that has chronic pain ever experienced terrible indigestion, heartburn and throwing up because of the pain? The pain stems from back surgery. I had a double fusion instrumentation done a couple yrs. ago. It was L3/4-L4/5.(cages,rods and screws) Anyway, it helped the leg pain, but I now experience a lot of pain in my middle to lower back. I have degenerative disc disease and I did have an MRI done a year(this was a year after the surgery) ago and it showed that I had a collapsed disc in L2/3. Also spinal stenosis. And I have a complication of fibromyalgia and lots of bone grafting was done to me in 1993-1995. I had VASCULAR BONE TRANSPLANT in my wrist as a result of an infected broken wrist. Anyway, the places where they havested bone from front and back of my hip are really giving me lots of bad pain also. I throw up constantly. And I am beginning to think its from the pain. Please someone help! I also take tons of pain meds. Thank-you, boomer

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-30-2008, 05:45 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User
Re: PAIN and terrible indigestion!

Hi BabyBoomer,. Yes pain can cause nausea and even vomiting, it's usuallly the acute pain rather than chronic pain where this arises other than just a side effect, but the main thing is to tell your doc. If he doesn't know,he can't and won't be doing anything for this side efect of meds. . What stands out isn't the surgeries and procedures,many people are in that position, but the I take tons of pain meds part certainly makes one think it's a side effect of th meds you take. Nausea is one of the top 3 side effect of all pain meds and opiates, There are simple treatments for nausea as far as meds, but if there is something obvious that may be hurting your stomache like pain meds or adjunct meds that contain Nsaids then something can be changed. We can't name the drugs were on but something like tons of Vicoprofin or Combunox or even meds with lots of tylenol can cause nausea, again these can be changed to manage side efects.

I know some people have a fear of bringing up negative side efects for fear of loosing the relief they do have, but it's rare a doc would only see discontinuing your meds as a way to manage common side efects.

Good luck, and talk to your prescribing doc, He's the only one that can do anything about this problem.
Good luck, Dave

Last edited by Shoreline; 12-03-2008 at 03:55 AM. Reason: spelling

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread