It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Pain Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2008, 05:31 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

tiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB User
Update and need some support...

Hello all,

About a month ago my doc put me on a combination of MS Contin and oxycodone IR, with amytriptline at bedtime. I also use a lidoderm patch over the worst of the rib pain. I am also seeing an experienced (had been going to a school) massage therapist, this afternoon will be my third visit. So far so good with everything. The MT has found a few very bad trigger points in places where I would not have even thought to look, but I think we are making some progress.

Now for the not so good, my husband has a torn rotator cuff and is having surgery tomorrow afternoon to repair it. I'm concerned that the ortho will not give him sufficient medication to keep him anywhere near comfortable. Anybody have any ideas how agressive I should be with this? I'm concerned about showing too much knowledge of pain meds, but I really don't want him coming home from the hospital with only 5 mg vicodan or something. I've had roator cuff surgery myself and I remember how it felt when the nerve block wore off, that's pretty close to my 10. I'm also a bit concerned about keeping things up while he heals, especially if it snows. I'm doing a lot better, but we did the Christmas decorations Saturday and I was a mess yesterday. I guess we'll get thru it somehow. I'll try to post tomorrow night or Wednesday morning.

Tigg.

Old 12-01-2008, 10:16 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

PNo HB User
Re: Update and need some support...

Hi - sounds like you have your hands full. Most docs send surgery patients home with percoset and if you husband isn't opiod tolerant - that probably will be enough for him. If he has been taking opiods already then a discussion with the surgeon and anethesiologist is in order. Be sure to get a contact phone number that you are supposed to call if his pain is not managed-they know shoulder surgery is painful. Please do not be tempted to give him any of your meds!! Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-02-2008, 05:24 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User

Tigger I am happy you are making progress, keep us updated. I have been wondering how your doing.

Now as far as your husband, the surgeon did not go over the meds he would send him home with? I believe for the shoulder I have seen the majority say they were sent home with percocet. That is what I was sent home with, Marica to I believe. Although I can understand your concerns since the surgeon I am being seen by now for the neck only prescribes as high as norco. I still have my PM so I was not so worried by this but I was shocked.

Marica had the rotator done & I know she had to keep ahead of the pain as did I with the decompression. Even with the meds I believe we both had some bad days. Hopefully Marica will see this & chime in. No matter what just make sure he takes it easy. Everyone is different & perhaps he will tolerate it better. Good luck & no matter what take care of yourself to & dont over do.

God bless, Sammy

Old 12-02-2008, 05:47 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

tiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB User

Thank you all. We're home from the hospital. He was given percocet. The surgery went well, but they ran WAY late. Was supposed to be at noon - had to be there at 9 am, didn't start surgery until 3, and we got home around 7. They missed with the nerve block (did on mine too) so he woke up to major pain, but is doing better now. I'll make sure he takes his pain med on time, I know not to let it go, but to keep ahead of it. I'll try and update tomorrow.

Tigg.

Old 12-07-2008, 06:33 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User

Tigger how is it going? Hope all is well. I feel for your husband & am thinking of you. Sammy

Old 12-07-2008, 09:41 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmpgirl HB User

Hey Tigg,

Just wanted to say hi, and let you know I've been thinking of you. Sorry I haven't been here in a long while. I've had some nasty medical issues (not necessisarily CP related) and I've just been too wiped out to read or post. I am slowly getting better, but I think I have a long road ahead of me.

I'm glad you are progressing, especially with the massage therapy. I know I would be sunk without my myo release therapy. I'm sorry your hubby had to have surgery, but it sounds like you are taking good care of him and that he's on the mend.

I wish you both the very best and please know that I think of you often and keep you in my prayers. Be well and God Bless, CMP/MM

Old 12-08-2008, 04:49 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks you guys!

Hubby is doing pretty well. He's not having a lot of pain, and I'm glad for that. The only problem is he is wanting to try to do things that you can't do right after shoulder surgery. Hopefully I can keep him in the sling until the doc says it's ok to take it off .

Tigg.

Old 12-08-2008, 04:32 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

IZZY'SMOM HB User

Hey Tigg!
My hubby had it too, and it was terrible trying to keep him from wanting to do too much. Anyway,. Im glad his pain was kept under control, Id write more but my kiddo has the flu. It hasnt been a pretty day!
My hubby's healed really quickly, and he was 56 at the time. I wish the best for you and your hubby, and have a wonderful holiday season if I dont get to post to you before~
xoxoxoxo,
IZZY'SMOM

Closed Thread