It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Pain Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2008, 05:33 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

IZZY'SMOM HB User
Finally Got My Pm Appt!

Hi everyone!
I finally got my appt. It's Dec 15th in the morning. I may go the night before, and spend the night, I dont know yet. I want to say THANK YOU to all of you, my friends who have been down this road with me and have been pulling for me to get some answers and the help I really need. It really means alot that you care, and i value all of your opinions and friendships.

I talked to my pharmacist at the compound pharmacy today. I wanted to ask her about the PM doc, just to see if she had anything to say. She told me that she has some ppl that go to her, and one person told her personally that this lady is really strict about what she prescribes. Im a bit worried now, but Ill just have to go and see.

Ive spoken to the front staff, and they have been really nice and helpful, so thats a start!
Anyway, my ortho gave me my last script today and told me that he cannot fill anymore for me as he usually has a pt. entered into PM by now. He's been so helpful and could have left me out to dry, but didnt. He has literally saved my rear.
Im just so tired of trying things...injections, accupuncture, massage, physical therpay. I told my ortho today that PT actually is making it worse and he told me.."then dont go!"
He ordered it for me and Ive been going for a couple months.

Today I told him I was worried that this doc may not be able to help me. He said, "Its her job. And any doctor that knows you have been on the amount of narcotics you have for as long as you have would know that you cannot go off of them cold turkey." That was his answer when I told him my fears.

I know many of you are saying..."why dont you try someone else." We live so far away from ANY docs, its crazy. Literally in the middle of nowhere. I cant fly because now that Im not golfing ect, and the economy, well, its just not goiong to happen. My brother can fly me, but he's 4 states away, and driving 12 hrs r/t isnt a big deal to me especially when we are all looking out for our finances.

Today when my ortho and I were visiting, I told him that I was really surprised that my old doc should really be accountable to either taper me down or take care of me until I got into the PM. He said..."He's SUPPOSED to, but Ill help you."
I called someone else here today to switch all of my other stuff to, a doc I used to go to and I like him so thats my plan.

My ortho gave me a months worth and thats way enough. This guy is doing surgery on hard core famous athletes. He and his partner. He doesnt have time to be my med provider, and Im just greatful that hes helped me as much as he can, and always offers to give me an injection of cortisone, ect. to help me as well.

The front office girl at the PM told me to bring in EVERYthing Im currently taking. Ill be sure and not even be a pill off, because they may do a pill count on the first visit. My sister works for an ortho doc out of state, and told me that it could very well be a possibility. im also taking all of my records from my first doc, even before he moved. He told me how to get those today, as well.

So when I called my old doc tonite he said "we are getting your records ready to send to you, and dont worry Ill take care of you for the time being." Meaning thyroid, ect. I didnt even ask him about helping me with anything else if I ever needed it because the point is moot and I think my time with him is done.

Anyway, if anyone has any feedback Id love to hear what you have to say...
Sorry I havent been posting. Its been really bad for me for the last few months, Ive been really depressed. My ortho asked me today if Id like a to be referred to a psych. and I told him "no, Ill be ok, and actullay I have a good one I havent seen for awhile I can call."
I probably should. Ive been going back to bed after my son leaves for school and watching movies until noon, ect. I have no desire to do anything. Im sure you all can relate. The hardest part is not letting my son see me like this. Getting ready for his ball game tonite literally took me two hours. Blowdrying my long hair is just impossible. With every brush stroke my scapula pops and burns, and it sucks. I think about ppl who have disabilities walking because you HAVE to do it...and thats the way it is for me. I cant just walk around all day with my arm stuck to my side, or lie flat.

Wow, Im sorry to vent and make this so long. I know ppl dont like long posts, and Im sorry if Ive offended any of you. i just needed to get this off of my chest.

I got another shot today under my scapula, so Im hoping that it will feel better soon. I hope this doc may have some ideas that I havent had presented to me yet.

Sorry this is all over the place! Thank you to the ones who have taken the time to read my long post.
xoxoxoxo,
IZZY'SMOM

Last edited by IZZY'SMOM; 12-03-2008 at 07:12 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-02-2008, 08:50 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

hessie28 HB Userhessie28 HB User
Re: Finally Got My Pm Appt!

Hi Izzy, I have not been on lately either. Too hard.

Good luck with your appointment. I give you credit. I would find it very hard to go to a Doctor far away. Hope it works out. It sounds like the person you talked to was nice. That is a start. Usually if they are nice on the phone then they are nice in the office. That is my experience anyway.

I hope they help you. I get paranoid too about the meds too. I follow the rules but I always feel like the Dr. will say something. I have a great doctor though. He is very supportive. He gives me the meds I need.

Good luck and keep us updated.

Old 12-03-2008, 07:29 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User
Re: Finally Got My Pm Appt!

Izzy, I can identify with everything you are saying. Everything.
First I would say just take a deep breath & tell yourself you have done everything you can to prepare for this appointment & try to relax.
If it makes you feel any better maybe have a back up PM just in case.

I cant tell you how many of us were left or abandon by doctors that were suppose to take care of us during transitions to PMs. It should never happen.

As far as hearing this PM is strict that is not such a bad thing. You follow the rules so I would not worry so much about that. Sounds like your ortho is pretty good to you.
Remember this PM has to go over your records & will see everything you have tried. I think the fact that you have been open to trying so many things will be a big plus for you. It will show this PM you did not want to rely on meds alone.
We all know how hard it is, I feel the same walking around with my arms glued to my side, shuffling my feet, makes me feel 100 yrs old & trying to hide all the pain & worry from my children. So we understand. Just focus on the fact your in with a PM doctor & thats a start. you have been through so much lately & its bound to get to you. Sometimes we feel like its just to much, everything happens at once or one thing after another & you think I would like just one day without all the pain & stress. Just hang in there & try to relax. As I said I felt the same as you when waiting to get into my PM.
Everyone of us are afraid of being left in pain. I have no problem letting you vent, my gosh thats what we are here for. Please take care & hand of your worries for awhile.
God bless, Sammy

Closed Thread