It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Pain Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2008, 03:23 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

IZZY'SMOM HB User
Whose Pm Doc Is A Physiatrist?

Hi all~
Im curious whose PM doc is a physiatrist, and how do you like them? I know all docs are different. Are most PM docs physiatrists? What is their style of PM like?
xoxoxoxo,
IZZY'SMOM

Old 12-07-2008, 06:11 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User
Re: Whose Pm Doc Is A Physiatrist?

Hi Izzy,

I believe there are alot of Physiatrist who are PMs. I had more then one PM to choose from & a couple of them were Physiatrists. I believe CMPs Pm is a Physiatrist, I am sure she will correct me if I am wrong.

No matter what the PM specailizes in I think it comes down to how they treat the pain. One of the PMs I considered was a Physiatrist & I was not opposed to trying him, but he did not take my insurance. I have seen one in the past to but he did not specialize in Pain manganement. Although he did try like heck to work with me. I think every doctor has their own ways of doing things no matter what. Having a PM that specializes in the muscles & skelatal is a good start. I am really anxious to here how your first appointment goes.

I know for me it was so important & I felt as though my life depended on this new PM so I can understand all the questions. I will be thinking about you & keeping you in my prayers. Sammy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-07-2008, 09:27 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmpgirl HB User

Hey Izz,

My PM is a physiatrist (sometimes also referred to as PM&R - physical medicine and rehabilitation). He is a fantastic doc and I don't know what I'd do without him. I think like all specialties, there are some physiatrists who can be "single modality" docs, ie. injections only or some sort of procedure only. Mine is a multi-modality doc. He is open to all types of treatments, including meds, therapies, injections for those who would benefit from them, etc. (I have never had any luck with injections myself, so I can't speak to that one) He has encouraged me in any treatment that I have ever requested, such as aqua (pool) therapy, myofascial release therapy, (a type of massage therapy) Reiki, etc.

If you look up the definition of a physiatrist you'll see that they are docs who are trained specifically to diagnose and treat pain. (chronic or otherwise) I saw a doc who was a physiatrist, way back in the beginning of my pain years and he was a total jerk, but he was really old school and ready for retirement. My current doc is only a couple of years older than me and he's a lot more open to new or newer treatments.

Didn't you mention that you spoke to your pharmacist about this doc? Did he/she give you any feedback from this doc's other patients? Many times that's one of the best ways to guage a new doc. I would think if his other patients liked him or spoke highly of him, you would be happy with him too.

Hope that helped give you an idea of what PM&R docs/physiatrists are like. Again, they differ like all other docs, but that's what mine is like. As always, I'm praying for you and sending out good thoughts. Keep me posted, OK? Hugs, CMP/MM

Old 12-07-2008, 02:12 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Izzy - I am sorry that I have not been here for you as much as I would like to have been of late but I am really pre-occupied with my upcoming surgery.

I have heard good things about this type of a doctor and personally it would be the type of doctor I would go to if I needed to find one. The tend to look at the entire body, teach you to work with you limitations and get you moving as quickly as possible.

When is your appt? I pray this works out for you because I know how much you loved your previous doctor and frankly it is hard to make a change sometimes when you have had a good doctor.

Good luck and I pray thing go well.

Happy Holidays to you and your family.

Old 12-07-2008, 02:48 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

IZZY'SMOM HB User

Thanks guys~

The pharmacist DID tell me that one of her patients said the doc is really strict about what she will prescribe. She said that she uses compound topicals ect. from time to time on some pts and thats how she knows of the doc in one instance because of their compounding pharmacy.

Im so nervous. I just hope it all goes well because I have nowhere else to turn at all, if she doesnt work out. I had been with my old doc for three years without a contract, and Im getting all of his records as well to take. Ill have all of my bottles with me and Im even taking some leftover meds from other prescriptions [my compounds] so she can see I still have some of those left and am not always running out early. Thats my biggest fear. Im calling my ortho tomorrow and making SURE that he is willing to talk to her and let her know that he is ok with me having to take more than is written from time to time.

I know I just have to let it be, and not get any more worked up than I am. I just dont have the luxury of living nearby other options and docs and thats why this is so very important to me. Driving 6 hours to see her, and then it will be 8 or more to another one if this one doesnt work out.

xoxoxoxo,
IZZY'SMOM

Old 12-09-2008, 08:14 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User

Izzy, just wanted to let you know I am thinking of you & as I stated before completely understand your nervousness. Its hard starting over with any new doctor.
Especially one that will hold the quality of life in their hands. I can understand my friend. I was much the same. We have heard enough stories here to know that there are all kinds of doctors out there & I would say it is normal after hearing all we have heard to be alittle nervous. You sound as if you have covered all basis so try to relax & focus on enjoying your family.

I worried before my appointment so much & then after asked myself what that accomplished other then the cost of another box of hair color,lol.
No matter we are hear for you & understand. God bless, Sammy

Old 12-09-2008, 10:48 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

ozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB User

Hey Izzy-
My first PM doctor was a Physiatrist, and my husband's PM doctor now is one. I had a great experience with mine, and so far my hubby has had a great experience with his.

I've not thoroughly read all the responses, but I do know that a Physiatrist specializes in physical pain issues. They are trained to treat chronic pain issues.

Mine was able to do a nerve conduction study and was the one who actually diagnosed my nerve damage. None of the other doctors I had seen prior to that were able to perform this test. They never even mentioned having one done by another doctor. That was the very first diagnostic test my first PM did. He treated me with various techniques, not just meds. He did prescribe meds too, but there were other modalities he employed. Same with my hubby's PM is doing now.

I'm now with a rheumatologist (sp?) because of the arthritis issues I'm dealing with. He is a good doctor, but hasn't been able get my pain issues under control as of yet. He told me he may send me back to a "true" PM doctor. If this happens, my first PM doctor has said he will gladly see me again.

I hope you are able to get the help you need. I'm sending positive thoughts your way!!

Old 12-11-2008, 01:53 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

Mumbles401 HB User

I have been a long time reader on this site and just decided to register to respond to your threads. You are getting all stressed out over nothing and I would just sit back and relax until you get to see your new PM doctor.
The PM doctor is there to help you with living with your CP. You are going to your PM to have a better quality of life and to be prescibed meds so you can function at your highest level. His/Her job is to help you, and you need to be honest with them. Should you ask for a certain kind of med??? I personally would bc I know my body and I know what works for me. Tell the truth and don't leave the office wishing you had said something, so take notes with you.
Remember your doctor prob has many patients but you have only one you!!!!

good luck and stop stressing it isnt helping you

Old 12-11-2008, 07:44 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

IZZY'SMOM HB User

Mumbles,
thank you so much for the reply....You are so correct, and I have stopped obsessing about the visit. I haven't done anything wrong, at all. My ortho called today and told me that he would stand beside me if the PM doc had any questions about having to double up.
Thank you for your support. thats what these boards are for. I really appreciate it. Im so glad you have registered and are going to be a member here! Welcome to the boards, you are going to be a super addition to the community, I can tell.
xoxooxo,
IZZY'SMOM

Old 12-12-2008, 01:22 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User
Post Re: Whose Pm Doc Is A Physiatrist?

Izzy, my thoughts and prayers are with you sweetie. When is your appt? I would like to say a special pray for you on your appt day?

Old 12-12-2008, 06:14 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

IZZY'SMOM HB User

Pepper~
How are you? Ive been so worried! I hope you are on the mend. You are such an amazing person and friend, and I treasure our friendship here on the boards.
Thank you for your prayers and support, and my appt. is Monday morning, the 15th at 10:30 am. I am sure I will feel all of my pain buddies with me, everyone that has been supportive has really made a difference. Thank you again Pepper. I hope you are on the mend, ,my friendxoxoxoxox,
IZZY'SMOM

Old 12-17-2008, 11:40 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

hessie28 HB Userhessie28 HB User

Hi Izzy. I know the question is moot now since you have already been to see the Dr. but my Dr. is also a physiatrist. The only difference with him is he is less aggressive. That could be good sometimes. He does Accupunture. Eventually he will do the EMG's etc. He sent me to pain management for the shots. Now he sent me for aqua therapy. He is the one monitoring my pain meds.

Closed Thread