It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Pain Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2008, 01:07 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

trowftd3 HB User
Esophogogastroduodenoscopy Colonoscopy for me!!!

On Wed I will be having the above mentioned procedure. The colonoscopy part is because my brother is having his colon cancer surgery the following Wed and I wanted to make sure I have the all clear in the cancer department.

The endoscopy part is because...a new doc. I don't know about you guys but every time I see new doc they get all excited about my chronic pain and think they can cure me. Most of the time this happens when I'm taking my kids to the doctor...allergies/ gi doc/ new internal med doc...etc. Anyway, this doctor has a patient with chest pain. He biopsied his esophagus and found that he has eosinophilic esophagitis. Yipee. So this doc is sure that is what I have even though the main symptom is food getting stuck in the throat...which I don't have. This guys chest pain is also different than mine. I asked about the treatment and he said,"well....we don't know if it's going to work...." Basically they make some sort of paste/drink out of steroids. YUM. So I'm going to let him do his test and if by chance he finds something at least I will have a name to call my pain.

I'm sorry to ramble but there is more...So the doctor was just really, really nice and so excited about possibly finding the source of my pain. I opened up to him. He's actually first doc to ask about working with pain.I made the appointment to talk about sedation for the colonoscopy because when I had surgery last the versed and whatever else they gave me didn't work and I felt and remembered everything when they put in the nerve block! Not good. He was so nice about the whole thing and says that his clinic automatically puts everyone with chronic pain to the next level of sedation. He was really understanding. So, he says he's going to get the schedular to come in and talk to me and he walks outside and leaves the door open. He and the nurse are talking about me and he says, "What would you say if your patient said....mumble mumble?"(I couldn't understand the last words) She says,"I've never been asked that one before." and they both bust out laughing.
AT ME!!! I barely made it to the car before I burst into tears. I called a friend to vent but she didn't get it.

I know it sounds crazy but I hope you guys understand. It's so hard to get doctors to understand us and our pain. He seemed so nice and seemed to 'get it'. But, then he laughed at me. I know I probably overreacted but I rarely open up to doctors and I told him everything(almost)...it just hurt my feelings. Sorry to go on and on and on.

Did I make any sense at all? Wish me luck this week...I start drinking the magic elixir on Tuesday.~Mush

IZZY~~~Hang in there. I know you're stressed and full of 'what if's' but do what you have to and don't settle for anything but the treatment you deserve! If this doc doesn't work out...you will find another. I know you don't want to keep looking but this doc isn't the end of the world. I do hope it works out and she is wonderful. (I'm not sure about the med count at the first visit...I've never had one.) If you are short a little you could explain the huge amount of stress you've been under trying to find a new doc...if she understands then you may have found an angel!!!! Good luck and thanks for listening to my issues.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-08-2008, 04:37 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User
Re: Esophogogastroduodenoscopy Colonoscopy for me!!!

Mush, I get it, & how hurtful that must have been. dont worry about it & if it bothers you dont hestitate to bring it up to this doctor. I would love to see the look on his face if you did. Honestly I have had it with doctors who are clueless. My surgeon made a comment about my meds & my husband told him he does not enjoy watching me waking up crying in pain every night & morning, & if I did not need the meds I would no be taking them. That kind of shut him up about the meds.

I some times think we forget as do the doctors that we are paying them to treat us not the other way around.

I see nothing wrong with telling this doctor that you over heard & how this CP has interferred with your life, in detail, being a mom, wife, friend etc.... Lets see if he thinks that is funny. I would also tell him how you were comfortable & so happy to have a doctor willing to help you. That ought to make him feel small enough to climb into the nearest heater vent. I dont find CP a laughing matter, I dont find sitting by & dreaming of a normal life a laughing matter. I dont & wont tolerate anything from doctors anymore, & I am angry & hurt on your behalf, breaks my heart to think of you crying over this. Been there & done that.

Keep in mind your not sure what was said but perhaps next time he will make sure the door is closed. God bless honey & keep your chin up. Sammy

Old 12-08-2008, 06:40 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmpgirl HB User

Aw, Mush.......

I'm so sorry this guy was such a jerk! Ditto what Sammy said. I would absolutely let him know that you overheard him and his nurse laughing at you and that you found it to be not only demeaning, but very unprofessional. Why can't some of these docs, etc. get it through their heads that we are decent, kind, compassionate human beings, who happen to have been cursed with a disease or condition that robs us of a "normal" life??? I wonder how he would feel if a doctor treated his wife, mother or sister that way!!!

And to have opened up your heart to him like that and then hear him making light of it....... I don't know if I could even bring myself to go back to this guy. God Bless you, my friend. You are such an amazing person and you do not deserve to be hurt like this. Let this guy know that he can't treat people that way and get away with it. Remember..... we'll all be standing there right behind you in spirit.

As always, I'm praying for you. Be well sweetie, and know that I'm sending positive thoughts and bunches of hugs your way. Ever so fondly, CMP/MM

Old 12-08-2008, 10:11 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

trowftd3 HB User

Thanks so, so much. I needed that little boost.
You Guys know just what to say to a girl!!
I hope you both have better days to come...youdeserve it!

Thanks again for listening. "Normal" people just don't understand.
I don't know whether I'll say anything since he's still going to poke around
in my body.(both ends!lol) But, who knows, maybe under anesthesia I will
'pop off' with something. Thanks again.~Mush

Old 12-15-2008, 10:39 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmpgirl HB User

Mush,

Just checking in to see how everything went. (I think you meant Weds. of last week ??) I hope all is well. Please let us know how you are doing when you are able to, OK?

Many hugs, CMP

Closed Thread