It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Pain Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2008, 08:26 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

IZZY'SMOM HB User
Izzy's pm appt, update~

Hi everyone...
I just got home...I left at 7 am this morning and just got back and it is 9:20pm. Six hours to and six more home in the middle of a blizzard... It was a total waste of a trip. Im so upset and depressed that Ill write in the morning.

Driving home took hours and I couldnt see a foot in front of my face...Im exhausted, and want to tuck my son in bed and spend a bit of time with him before he goes to sleep.

I promise Ill write in the morning...Im going to want to hear all of your opinions, and thoughts when I post about my visit, ect. Please come back and read. Ill post after I get my boy to school, promise.

xoxoxoooxox,
IZZY'SMOM

Last edited by IZZY'SMOM; 12-15-2008 at 10:13 PM.

Old 12-16-2008, 07:12 AM   #2
(female)

katlovesdogs HB User
Re: Izzy's pm appt, update~

so no meds, no changes no help. I am sure you are just beside yourself. All that worry and they didn't do a thing

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-16-2008, 02:02 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

IZZY'SMOM HB User

Hi everyone~
Sorry i didnt post earlier this morning. Needless to say we had a huge storm last night and today its still raging. My son is home sick today, so I just got time to sit down and write.

I got to my visit yesterday, the nurse came in, wrote down all of my meds, did my bp, ect. and said "the doctor will be right with you." My BP was 160/114...which it always is.

She came in, and was super super nice. She looked at my chart and said "I really dont understand why you're here. Your ortho didnt even give a DX, it says possible snapping scapula, but he didnt even note why he isnt willing to do your surgery. Also the MRI was an open one, and doesnt show me anything at all.

she picked up my meds and supplements, and said, "you do know I dont fill scripts, dont you? I did opiate therapy for years in Texas, and Im just over it. Im doing different things with my career, and its not opiate therapy at all any more. The DEA has made it so impossible that Im really just done with opiates.

Then she said...Im not even going to charge you for today...Im really upset my office girl didnt tell you that i dont do scripts. I feel like you came here for nothing, not that I dont want to help you, but I really am not someone who can. Im just in a different field.
You are out of meds, and you cant go off of these cold turkey...SOMEone has to help you. Do you want me to call your ortho or your old GP?" I said...I really dont care. Id appreciate anything you can do for me.

So she called my GP, and told him that if hes not going to take care of me, he should at least give me a script to help me taper or something until I can find a GP in my town here that will take me. He agreed and sent me a script yesterday that will arrive tomorrow. In the mean time he called me in some vicoprofen until my script arrives.

When I talked to him, he said he wants me to taper off opiates so we can try other things. He said hes sending a script of xoycontin small mg to help my taper for the next two weeks.

My concern is that I would think a doc would try things in conjunction with tapering...not take me off of everything in two weeks when Ive been on meds for 3 years, and THEN try things.

The PM doc told me that PM is mind, body, ect, and where we are there isnt any PM help and she really felt bad for me. She said she would reccomend the University in but its 12 hrs away. one way.

Im really bummed...
Yesterday when I called my GP, he said..."oh! I thought you were going to the guy PM. I couold have told you she doesnt do opiates...I used to work with her along time ago."
He told me that there is a new GP here in town, and I did call her today and told her my story. She actually answered the phone, she was heading to her office in her car. I thought I was calling her office. Im really excited to meet with her, she told me she would be happy to take over my care. she asked what I was on currently and if it was helping, and to bring in any records if I had them, if not, not biggie.

So Im going to see her tomorrow or thursday. she moved here from Houston.
The PM made me a sample page to take to the next doc regarding what meds Ive tried, if they worked, side effects, ect. to help me out. So Ill start over tomorrow. My BP HAS t get in control, and Id also like to have some sort of help with depression. Hopefully it will all work out. Sorry if this is all over the place, Ill post more later. Im so sorry for the LONG post. If any of you feel like responding that would be great. If not, thats fine as well.
xoxoxo,
IZZY'SMOM

Last edited by IZZY'SMOM; 12-16-2008 at 06:40 PM.

Old 12-16-2008, 04:06 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Mumbles401 HB User

I am not surprised after reading many of your posts, who knows if you have been on these meds for 3 years, and they are not working as well as they used to, maybe the best thing is to taper off and try something else. This could be good news, remember change can always be a good sign.

Old 12-17-2008, 06:18 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User

Izzy, my gosh, that is just to much. I am sorry you had to go through that & really someone was not doing their job & you suffered for it. That has me so angry on your behalf. Thank goodness for the new doctor. I know here GPs or PCPs dont want to treat CP or deal with meds for it at all. So thanks be to god you have found one that will help you. I just cant believe this happened to you.

Let me tell you for years I suffered & no doctor could pinpoint it, not enough showed on this or that test. All that time my life was going down the tubes.

Well now look surgery Dec 26, from nothing to this. My shoulders, arms etc hurt like mad. You just keep those doctors on their toes & try to get through to this doctor how you are suffering every day & what quality this is costing you in your life.

I could just cry for you. So many of us have been led in the wrong direction or misguided. You just hang in there & I dont believe any doctor should wean you off any meds with out a plan in place.

Some times it takes abit to relate whats going on or how your feeling, I dont care about how long your post is, just that you get the support you need. Hang in there & please know that I will be thinking of you & praying this next appointment & doctor work out. Let us know. God bless, Sammy

Old 12-17-2008, 07:18 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

cmpgirl HB User

Izzy,

I'm really sorry that you had to go through all of that, only to find that this doc couldn't do anything. I know that had to be such a horrible thing to hear her say. I guess, at least, she was kind enough to make the phone call for you. What I don't get, is your GP saying "Oh, I thought you were going to the guy PM." Did that mean that he knows this "guy PM" does prescribe meds? And if so, why has he not given you his name and called this guy to help set things up for you?

Well, at least this new GP sounds like a possibility. I know that in some cases, meds are not the answer, but you would think at least one of these docs would continue to Rx while trying new options/modalities. Not just a quick taper, but on a continuing basis as he/she tries new things.

I am a bit worried about your BP issues as well. I know how dangerous uncontrolled high blood pressure can be. My GP is still working with me to get things under control (since March) and even though my BP is down to acceptable levels, there are other things, like fluid retention (edema) that have yet to be managed. I've been having all kinds of tests to see why this is. Your elevated BP may just be from stress, but it should still be treated in the meantime.

Anyway, please know that you are in my thoughts and prayers and I'll be checking in to see how things are going. Hugs, CMP

Old 12-17-2008, 08:38 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

IZZY'SMOM HB User

Thanks to all of you~

Cmp~ I distinctly remember asking my old GP if he knew if this lady did meds, and he said "I have no idea." That was last week. He did give me a name of a PM doc he says they use alot where he is now. This PM guy is about the same distance. I am going to have my hubby and I do a conference call tomorrow with the GP and ask him about the fact he is tapering without a plan in place, but it really wouldnt be of any relavance to my care if he isnt going to provide for me any more.

Here's another thought I have...When I go to this new GP lady this week, what should i tell her? Should I tell her that my old GP gave me enough meds to hold me over until I could get in with her? If I tell her he is tapering me, she may think that there was problems. I would like to go to this new doc and tell her i have no problems with anything I havent tried, but Iam strongly against stopping the meds without another plan in place, and also IF we would discontinue, I just dont think two weeks is enough.
I know I should be happy he sent me a script, but he sent me 28 oxycontin to taper two weeks off of. Two tabs a day for the first week, and one a day for the second.
Then Im done with him. Im very upset that he took this PPM docs word on what SHE would do, when she didnt even take me, ect. And I feel like he was just looking for another way out of prescribing to me.
So how do I start out with the new PM? Of course they are going to talk to him. I should have the right to start over with someone new fresh. My hubby says that it seems everyone is just passing me off to someone else. thats how I feel too. Maybe I did get my scripts early, but I never ever doctor shopped ever or did anything like that. The PM lady just said that docs are so tired of the DEA breathing down thier necks, no one wants to take PM pts on opiates any more. Isnt that doctors jobs? Like I said...I have no problem trying new things, driving wherever to get more info, but I cannot even drive anywhere or do anything if they take away the ONE thing right now, thgat enables me to live a somewhat sorry life. Im just really frustrated. Its easy to tell someone "maye its time for change, but the week berfore Christmas, and my dose was 240mg oxy a day, and now Im at 40. How am I supposed to even function. Its cruel in my book.

If any of you have suggestions how to move on to the next GP person i would really appreciate any suggestions. Remember this is a small area, and every doc knows every doc, so I need to be honest.

xoxooxx,
IZZY'SMOM

Last edited by Mod08; 12-17-2008 at 09:27 PM.

Old 12-17-2008, 10:22 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

hessie28 HB Userhessie28 HB User

Hi Izzy, In my opinion, I would be totally honest with the new doctor. If she is going to help you, you don't want to get on her bad side. I am not implying that you would lie or anything. Just giving reasons why a person should be honest. I would write everything down. Start at step one when the pain started. Write down all the meds you took, test results etc. I always walk in to a new doctor with a handful of papers, reports etc. They love that. It shows them that you are serious about getting better. You also go in showing the doctor that you have tried everything and you are not just there for meds. I always believe that things happen for a reason. So, maybe that long horrible car ride was worth it to get you to this new doctor. Maybe everything you went through will bring you to this dr. and things will get bettter. I know that sounds strange but who knows. I hope she works for you.

I am very lucky that I have my GP handling my pain management. He is a doctor but just does physical therapy patients. I see him once a month for monitoring. In between he gives me a refill for the oxycodone. Once a month he gives me the Fentanyl patch. He told me honestly the pain will never go away and I will be on meds the rest of my life. I sure hope he is wrong but the way I feel I would say he is on the ball. He has me going to aqua therapy but he told me honestly that the pain will not go away. The therapy is just to keep me moving. He said to me he can see all I went through with the surgery etc. He told me he knows I am not just trying to get meds.

Good luck with the new Dr. I know what it is like to be in pain all the time. I totally understand how you feel. I think that is the problem. Unless you walk in our shoes you can't fully understand what we go through.

Old 12-19-2008, 04:16 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User

Izzy, I second Hessies advice. I would be honest with this new Doctor & tell her how you feel. Most of all that your scared of being left in pain, especially with high BP & all. How awful. Take everything you have with you & Hessies right doctors like that. Perhaps doing what many of us have done & start a pain diary to show her how your life is affected.
I felt the same at one time like I was being passed of to the next doctor.

I am sure this doctor knows how secluded you are due to where you are living & that is holding you back on finding a Pain managment doctor.
I am assuming your husband goes with you & perhaps it would not hurt for him to speak up on your behalf. I know every doctor I had respected or listened to what my husband had to say. He made it clear that I never wanted on any meds to begin with & let them know how much I suffer. We also let the doctors know that with out the meds I would not make it.

I know how you feel & my heart goes out to you.

Keep in mind that its good that she is willing to see you & that things may very well work out for the best. There are cpers that are treated by their GPs or PCPs & if anything maybe she could assist you with finding a PM.

You will be in my thoughts & prayers Izzy. god bless, Sammy

Old 01-05-2009, 10:29 PM   #10
Inactive
(male)

jonstar HB User

How can a PM doctor practice pain management and not use opoids?

I totaly agree they and a total answer, or an answer in every case, but atleast some of her patients should be on strong analgesics as part of their treatment.

Closed Thread