It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Pain Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2008, 03:55 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

zoey1 HB User
ladies which purse do you use and because of pain issues did you have to change ?

My one fetish use to be and sorta still is handbags. I fell in love with coach and had a few larger bags. As my illness progressed and dealing with pain. I discovered i could not enjoy the large bags i use to . Tried medium size and my hands still had issues with hard leather handles and or big hard handles.

So now i am down to the smaller size. I have also recently discovered the over the shoulder sling back.

So my question to the ladies, as you live an manage your pain have you had to switch purses ? What did you end up being comfortable with and able to manage without it hurting?

My next try is a soft quilted style ( vera bradley) lots cheaper then coach...
Crossing fingers i can man
age it and find a style i can work with

Old 12-18-2008, 07:38 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

momzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB User
Re: ladies which purse do you use and because of pain issues did you have to change ?

AHHH!!! My soul-sister !!! LOL
My addiction was Kate Spade-the large bag-had it in three colors! My daughters now enjoy them :0(

I did switch to one with a long enough strap to loop over my neck like a messenger bag. Embarreses my teen girls but that is just an extra fun bonus.
They think I look like a dork but it beats the heck out of sore shoulders and lower back pain.

I can get one pretty good sized this way. Best of luck oh sister -in- purse -addiction!
Blessings,
Michelle

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-18-2008, 08:15 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB User
Re: ladies which purse do you use and because of pain issues did you have to change ?

Hey Zoey-
This is a great question. Because I'm "Mom", my purse is the catch-all for anything & everything, so basically, my purse is so heavy that I could literally take someone out with one whack!

Anyway, I carry a normal purse with the shoulder strap. This creates increased pain for me sometimes, so what I have to do is switch to those neat "back-pack" style purses. This way, the weight is distributed more evenly, and not just all on one side of my body. I also always place my purse in the shopping cart at the stores that have them and just keep my hand on it at all times.

I have also switched to smaller sized purses so that it can't hold but so much, thus helping to stop the catch-all for everyone else's stuff.

I do have to add that my husband will carry my purse for me if we are doing lots of shopping (like during the holidays)- he doesn't really like to do it, but he will if I need him to for a little while. He undestands my issues and is a great guy when it comes to helping me out.

Thanks for bringing this up. Take Care!

Old 12-18-2008, 10:09 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

tiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB User

I used to carry one that I probably could have packed for a three day vacation in . I never got attached to a particular brand, but do favor a nice leather bag. Now I have to carry one that is about a third that size. For work I have a bag on wheels for my lunch, shoes, book, etc. and I haul my purse on top of that going to and from the car. I just can't haul around everything but the kitchen sink any more, but it's better than having the weight set off muscle spasms so I'll live with it. The quilted type bag sounds interesting, I'll have to see if anybody around this area carries something like that, it would make the bag itself lighter than leather would be.

Tigg.

Old 12-18-2008, 11:38 AM   #5
(female)

katlovesdogs HB User

I have a bag that has a shoulder strap as well as a hand strap that I use when I have to have a purse.. It is an older model Coach--plain black. I recently started using a brighton that has a large hand strap. If I am just doing normal day to day activities, either one of these work. If I am going to be out for a while going places I find back strap works best and I tend to over load like everyone else.. the bigger the bag the more I can put in LOL

Old 12-18-2008, 03:34 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

IZZY'SMOM HB User

My worst downfall is Balenciaga. I have been collecting them for years. I sell them to buy new ones, ect, thats how I feed my habit.
Anyway, I used to wear a messenger bag, I loved being able to shove everything into it and carry it over my body... but it hurt my shoulder blade [scapula area] so I switched to an office style which is just a big hand bag, about 14x 18x7 or so, and no over the shoulder strap, just handles. the handles fit over my shoulder though, bit its not really comfy.
When Im running to the market or to an appt, ect. I use a LV checkbook wallet that has 8 credit card slots, a place for bills and a checkbook if you carry one. I only use handbags if I travel, around here all you need is your credit cards, cash and lip gloss.
xoxoxoxo,
IZZY'SMOM

Old 12-22-2008, 05:44 AM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User

Well, I have a nice collection of those "made in Italy", "made in Spain" soft leather business bags... love them! If I would have an action - I could make good money selling them. LOL
And b/s I had to commute to NYC, my bags were pretty big too.
Now... comfort and weight- my main criteria when buying bags. And yes, over the shoulder only, since my hands due to my conditions are not good enough to handle anything anymore.
I use a small one for RX, appointments cards, my meds, bottle of water only- always goes with me no matter where and when I go.
And the one as my small over the shoulder purse. Since I don't drive anymore due to foot drop, I honestly don't need my purse much unless I have an app.
and many times I don't take it with me if we go for a walk for example.
But still nice to have something nice to your "look", right?

After all we are girls and we love our nice purses...

Closed Thread