It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Pain Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2008, 04:48 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User
Into ER

Hey everyone, ended up in ER with these dang headaches. I have been getting alot of them lately,like migraines & cant even move my eye or touch my face or neck. I am days away from surgery here & just hanging on.
I am confused as all heck. My jaw & teeth hurt along with everything else & according to the dentist outside the root canal my teeth are fine. I do have my sinuses that have kind of dropped to where they are touching the roots of the teeth. I cant understand why everything on the left side of my head hurts so much & am praying its all from the neck. My ear, teeth, jaw, back of my head up to the eye & temple. Cant touch my finger to my temple area its to sensitive. Any one know if this can all be related to my neck or have anything like this before? The dentist put me on 2 antibiotics just incase it was an infection before the root canal.
My jaw can hurt like mad & behind my ear to.
I am on a steroid pack & the surgeons office told me to wear the neck brace for now. Not real comfortable.

ER believe or not was great to me. I am always afraid due to being on these meds that I will be left in pain but they really had me comfortable & the doc there said she would do her best to see that I was. My BP dropped so they had to stop giving me anything but I will say this is the best I have been treated. I am wondering if its do the the fact I have the herniated discs & am due for surgery. The last visit into ER I was waiting for the MRI to be done & I was not treated near as good. I was in so much pain that I honestly did not think I could take it. I screamed in this pain & I never scream. I'll tell you what I relief to have some of that pain gone. Its there but not as bad. I am scared of it flaring back up, nothing seems to touch it & am praying the neck brace & steroids help.
I am just confused,the pain starts at the back of the neck & moves with into the temple with in seconds & then other areas. Anyone have any opinions or experiance this kind of thing, can the neck cause all of this to act up, even the jaw & teeth?
God bless & hope all is going well for the rest of you, Sammy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-19-2008, 07:58 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

tiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB User
Re: Into ER

Sammy,

I'm so sorry you are having such a hard time. Yes this can all be connected to the neck problems. If those muscles start pulling on everything because they are trying to make up for the skeletal problems it sure could be the cause. I did get headaches a bit like that for awhile. Two things I've tried are rolling up a small towel and putting it behind your neck, right up at the top, while laying down. It puts pressure on the muscles and get's them to release. I haven't tried the second yet with a real bad headache, but the massage therapist told me to try putting pressure and massaging the muscles right below the adams apple right where the bone starts. I hope you get to feeling better soon.

Tigg.

Old 12-19-2008, 08:32 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

just wondering hon if you have actually looked up info on that trigeminal nerve yet? the areas where you have pain and symptoms just DO fit with how that nerve actually runs. and it does go down and back up again too ya know? it just could explain alot about the headache crap and facial pain too. Marcia

Old 12-20-2008, 09:30 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User

Thanks tigger I have tried to put something right under the neck but will try the massage.
Marcia I did indeed look up the nerve I am sure it could have been involved but at this rate I feel like a fish out of water. I'll tell you this is the most confusing thing. Cant eat or chew for long of it will act up, yet my left nostril can have pain much like sinus. Its strange I can feel my neck is involved. I am assuming its the cervical & hoping for the best. Have the brace on most of the time now so I will hope for the best. I can feel the pain lingering but have been lucky in keeping it from getting to bad. So between the steriods & brace perhaps something is helping. I hope so. Thanks & god bless, Sammy

Old 12-20-2008, 08:24 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

hessie28 HB Userhessie28 HB User

It sounds like the symptons I get when my TMJ is flared up. I also have Sinusitis and get those symptons. Hope you feel better.

Old 12-21-2008, 04:34 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

zoey1 HB User

I am so sorry you went through a horrid flare up. Have a question since it did not seem to be dental related but nerve related did a weather system just come to your area or was it approaching your area???

I found that before the pressure changes can be horrid until it passes

Also did you change purses recently? Do you carry and over stuffed bag?
That can trigger spasms around the neck shoulder area left untreated can trigger bad neck and face pain.....

Take care of yourself feel better Oh one more tip for face neck pain try sunglasses even inside. I found dark helps with bad headaches

Old 12-21-2008, 04:42 AM   #7
(female)

Nicole74 HB UserNicole74 HB User

I'm so glad that ER has treated you so well. There are many many moments where the pain is so bad that I want to go there myself. It's so dang expensive and it's only temporary relief. I also am not fond of our ER either. It's a 50 percent chance you get a good doctor with a good nurse. I've noticed that I will trigger several migraines just from sleeping on my back. Somehow, no matter how many pillows I use, I end up on my back during the night and on top of the pillows. I do get full blown migraines, but they will sometimes go behind my eyes and in between my eyes. The magnesium has really helped me tho. It has cut back on the severity of the migraines and the frequency. I also don't have the lingering headaches after taking the magnesium. Sammy, I hope these migraines stop after the surgery. Good luck.

Old 12-21-2008, 01:56 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User

Hey Sammy, Did they do an Xray to check for a sinus infection.? I've had 3 oral sirgeries in the lsst mnth, been on 5 different anyibiotics and have the same p[roblem where my root tips protude into my sinus cavities. I had mucltiple extractions, aan abscess drained, scraped and irigated and nothing touched the pain, Not the pidly vodin the surgeon ggave me, not the pump tyhat's implanted or the 30 mg roxi for BT for my back. It wasn't untill he watched my face swell up and did a sinuus Xray and put me on an antibiotic for sinus rather than tetth, did it make abut iof differnce. % tablets oflevequin cost me 120 bucks but within 36 hours i was feeling better. I had the same refered pain from my nose to my eye and back to my ear.

The antibiotics used for teeth aren't the sqme they use for sinus infection. There are basicaly two types of antibiotics, aerobis and anarobic. That just means an infection that has an air supply VS a compartmentsl einfection like an abscess. My doc believed the infection spread and changed from the abscess in my gums to my sinus when they created a hole in my sinus extracting a tooth. they used amoxocillin, then augmentin, then Keflex for the foirst procedure, then after the round of extraction they amox for the next surgery that didn't work so they went to clyndamyacin that didn't work but Levaquin which is specific for sinus although teeth started the whole mes wiped it out in a matter of days. I'm not a doc, but it sure sounds likea severe sinus infection, not just teeth. You have to remeber that everythingis trial and erorr incuding antibiotics.
Good luck , Dave

Old 12-22-2008, 04:50 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

wow, See no wonder its confusing. So many things can cause so many symptoms.

Dave, if you see this & I hope you do, did the pain at all radiate into to neck area? I know the teeth & sinuses can be tricky when it comes to where the pain travels. I was wondering the same last night & this moring due to waking up with the left side of my nose hurting. The tooth that had the root canal still can feel like its bothering me. That I am assuming could be the sinuses.

I dont want this surgery & come out with these headaches, & your right nothing really touches them such as narcotics much like a migraine.
The only confusing factor is I cant apply the slightest pressure on my neck when these headaches hit. With my luck its a combo. I was put on the Z pack but that did nothing.

To even make it more confusing yes we had a cold front come in gradually & dumped tons on us. This I swore was all the tooth at first.
See what I mean? Confusing.
Perhaps I should just see if my GP will do the xray for sinus just in case.
Thank you all so much. I was headed back to ER yesturday when I thought I could get through this, what a awful morning. Yes my left eye swells &down past the throat feels like it is swollen to, I can feel it hard to swallow.
I think its best I just make sure.Thank you all so much I have been really worried about this. Sammy

Old 12-22-2008, 05:15 AM   #10
Facilitator
(female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User

Sammy,

I am so sorry you are having all those problems. I have arthrities in my TMJ and it flares up I have same symptoms you are experiensing. Simple MRI of TMJ proved to my ortho he was right about my pains at same places as well.

Usually if you have neck problems, pain radiates to your arms, hands and fingers. Not only pain but very important symptoms is numbness. When I lay down especially hurts and numbness gets worse too.

Best of luck to you! Have a happy and healthy New Year!

Old 12-25-2008, 02:35 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)

Boxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB User

Sammy, I also have TMJ and what you are going through sounds exactly like what I exxperience when mine acts up. The last two episodes were almost identical to what you are now going through and they had never been that bad before. My dentist said I have been grinding my teeth at night from the pain and I guess that's why mine has gotten worse. I'm with you though, when it acts up like that I would do pretty much anything to get it to stop or at least take the edge off.

I have found warm compresses placed on each side of my jaw and neck help. I tried cold compresses and they made it worse.

Melissa

Old 12-25-2008, 07:06 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

IZZY'SMOM HB User

Hey Sammy~
Im just here to tell you I love you, and thank you for always being so supportive and understanding of me. You are always so helpful, and I dont have any advice for you regarding this situation, just to hang in there and know I am thinking of you and praying for you to feel better soon.
Merry Christmas to you and your family, Sammy~
xoxoxoxo,
IZZY'SMOM

Old 12-31-2008, 05:53 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Izzy what a wonderful friend you are, I am blessed to have all of you.
I am home from surgery so will put up a thread but I do believe alot of it is my TMJ & soon as this cervical heals up some I will get it looked into. I am wondering besides the bite splint what esle can be done?
This is tricky actually TMJ is in the jaw but effects the teeth & all that so would it be medical or dental? I am wondering for insurance purposes. Perhaps I'll bring it up to my PM see what he says. After reading your responses I am convinced thats the problem & the cervical pain was just adding to the TMJ. I do know that is the most excruciating pain & am convinced it brought on migraines. My temple area is staying sensitive to touch & I am wearing a store bought bite gaurd for now. I cant risk that headache full blown after surgery & live in fear of getting one while in this cervical collar. Thank you all for your input & makes me wonder how many people who live with CP have TMJ. God bless, Sammy

Old 01-01-2009, 03:36 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

hessie28 HB Userhessie28 HB User

HI, I actually had physical therapy for TMJ. I had therapy on a lot of body parts and that one was one of the only that worked well. They put heat on the jaw. Then she massaged the inside of the mouth. I also did some mouth opening exercises. It was a big help. The TMJ pain also caused neck pain. The nape of neck also was throbbing. All related.

It all went through my health insurance.

They actually have a surgery for it. My sister had the surgery about 20 years ago. They had to break her jaw and reset it. It helped her. But, I hear that it doesn't help many people. I would be one it would not help.

Hope you feel better. Happy New Year.

Old 01-03-2009, 04:35 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hessie, thank you so much. I am convinced that its TMJ but for now am stuck till I get feeling better from the c surgery. My teeth are bothering me & cant eat any large meals or some day anything solid or the headache starts. I also keep biting the side of my cheek which is pretty much telling me I have my jaw out of whack. I plan on mentioning it to my PM to see what he has to say next visit.
I am trying the store bought mouth gaurd but keep waking up to find I spit it out in my sleep. I am going to start taking my Muscle relaxer faithfully before bed to see if that will make a difference. My temple has remained sensitive to touch but for some reason the headache has not went full blown since my surgery but hurts enough to scare me. I honesty think its because the cervical collar is preventing me from opening my jaw all the way. Hopefully the headaches continues to stay to a dull ache or better yet goes away.
I have ok medical but my dental insurance is awful so thanks for answering my question. Anyone know what kind of doctor treats TMJ besides a dentist?
Perhaps an ENT?
Once again thanks everyone & god bless, Sammy

Closed Thread