It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Pain Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2008, 02:38 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

IZZY'SMOM HB User
Opiate rotation

Im going to a new GP tomorrow who I am praying will take over my pain mgmnt. since I am in such a rural area.

The PM doc I went to {see post about PM appt] told me if i were to stay on the opiates, I need to be rotated.

I have been on Oxycontin and oxycodone for BT for the last 3 yrs. I hope she has some ideas for me, if we go that route. ***REMOVED****.
I have made a list of what has worked and what hasnt...dosages, ect. Ive got my records, as well. Im just hoping for a new start with someone who has a clue about PM, and isnt afraid to treat me as needed so Im not always in crisis or stressed out.

Any help would be appreciated, as always. My appt is tomorrow. I pray this lady can help me, with any new ideas or help I havent had.

xoxoxox,
IZZY'SMOM

Last edited by Mod08; 12-22-2008 at 04:03 PM. Reason: Please read the posting rules, do not ask for medication suggestions.

Old 12-21-2008, 04:15 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

hessie28 HB Userhessie28 HB User
Re: Opiate rotation

Izzy, Good luck with your appt. I see what they mean about rotation with the meds. I think we just get tolerant to the meds so they have to be switched. I wonder what would happen though if you rotated back to a med you started with in the beginning. Would it work for us? I'm on the Fetanyl Patch and Oxycodone 4-6 hours in between. I don't feel they help as much. They may take the edge off but I am never pain free. I see my Dr. once a month. So, maybe on my next visit I will mention to him. I don't want something to make me a zombie. So, do I just suck it up and keep what I have? Did you mean you could not keep the patch from falling off? I have a piece of sports tape I use to keep mine on. Another Dr. said maybe that was bad because it was releasing meds too fast. I don't think so. Without the tape, it won't stay on. You would think they would figure that out. Anyway, good luck with your appt. Let us know how it goes.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-21-2008, 05:11 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

IZZY'SMOM HB User

Thx Hessie~
Due to perspiration the patch didn't stick and it released too soon. It didnt do that much good, so I dont really care to go back to it.
I told this GP lady Id been to a pM and she had some suggestions, ie: rotating, and her other IF I were to be her pt. which Im not going to be, would be to, IF I wanted to get off opiates, would be to take me off and try other options.
Right now, IM not willing to do that unless there is another plan in place. Ive been shuffled from doc to doc with a weeks worth of meds to get me from doc to doc, and Im so stressed out anc sick its unbelievable.
I used to be on compounded med for a reason, I cannot tolerate alot of meds over the counter, and these last few weeks having to take stuff that doesnt agree with me has been unbearable. Im just chasing my pain all of the time, and having to get by on whatever script my old GP sent me. What he sent me of course, wasnt available here in my town, so I am having to take something that I cant even keep down. Im just being thrown from one doc to another, and that doesnt look good at all to a new doc, Im afraid.
My hubby is going with me tomorrow. He has seen it all, and is willing to tell this new doc we need some help because we cant keep going on like this.
I know it may sound like ive gotten myself in this mess, but honeslty, I have been doing whatever I can to comply and try to find someone to help me.
Thank you for the reply, Im scared to even tell this new lady about some of the meds the PM suggested because I may sound like a seeker.
xoxoxox,
IZZY'SMOM

Last edited by Administrator; 01-01-2009 at 09:48 PM.

Old 12-22-2008, 05:43 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User

Izzy, I was on oxycodone x2daily for my shoulder & really did not help to much at all. It did help me to take it at night & be able to get out of bed in the morning but during the day I could not get enough relief. Percocet does seem to help more but I think I may be building up a tolerance. I think rotation or at least trying it is smart.
I take percocet every four to six hrs. & Avinza (starting this week) every 12hrs. instead 1 aday. The Avinza is so slowly released that you really dont feel anything. At first I did not think it was helping much at all. Then I missed a dose & the pain was worse. Now I am on it every 12hrs. The ER doctor said just take the second dose if I felt I really needed it, well the other night did not feel that I needed it & the next morning thought I would not make it. I am on the lowest dose 30mg but it does help. Like alot of CPers the pain is always here but at least I am not in agony all the time.

Once again I understand, I had to go through the exact same thing. I was sent doctor to doctor & none wanted to deal with me long due to the narcotics & none wanted to fight the insurance company for tests that needed preapproval. It took everything I possessed not to climb into bed & stay there & thats on top of the pain that was not controlled well & I complied to every doctors wishes with my meds.
The last ortho surgeon just slapped a DX on me & sent me off to PM without even going over what else could have been wrong. A good doctor will continue to look if there is one single doubt something else is involved in causing your pain. While doing that they will make sure you are comfortable.

Thank god that this PM chose to ignore the only MRI that was done on my neck & repeat it because there are some major things going on in there. I just want people like you to know that no matter how long or how hard it is there is a doctor out there who help.
It makes me so angry on your behalf because I went through all of it. I often think if these doctors could see how it has impacted our familes & liives they would be so ashamed. Hang in there my friend & I am praying this new doctor understands. I am glad your taking your husband & let him tell her how your suffering so. Its uncalled for. Speak up & dont think so much, just let her know & see how this has been for you.
god bless & I will watch for your post. Sammy

Old 01-06-2009, 03:44 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Mumbles401 HB User

I agree 100% with you, there needs to be an attack from all sides of therapy whether it is meds, PT,shots,chiro,acupuncture,massage,heat ice rest, etc etc etc, even proper posture can help a great deal with pain in the back. Even thinking positive can help relieve pain and being educated about it.

Old 01-06-2009, 02:50 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sage48 HB UserSage48 HB User

so sorry that you are going through this....going from Dr. to Dr. is awful. Starting new PM's is the worst. The last PM Dr. I went to said that he would not up the dose of the med. I was taking..(oxycodone 10) and that if it wasn't controlling the pain...WE'D take a holiday from the med. HA...there was no we in that one... The med. wasn't helping as well as it could as I had been on it almost 2 yrs....but I would not say anything because I was so afraid... After I had my surgery, I told my ortho. Dr. what the PM had said to me & I lived with the fear for 6 months.... The ortho. said what a horrible man the other Dr. was. So I guess there are some compassionate Drs. out there.
I am praying that the new Dr. you have will be the best you have every seen....good luck.....

Sage

Old 01-06-2009, 03:58 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

IZZY'SMOM HB User

Thank you, Leslie,
Actually she is the best one Ive seen. Shes my GP and comes from a large city and is very knowledgable about pain. Im thrilled to have found her.
Thanks for your support!~
xoxoxo,
IZZY'SMOM

Closed Thread