It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Pain Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2008, 12:14 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

IZZY'SMOM HB User
New understanding pm...best christmas present ever~

Hi everyone,
I went to my new GP Monday, and she is just wonderful. Understanding, very intelligent, compassionate and very knowledgable regarding pain issues and treatment.
She came here from Texas, sold her practice there and moved here where they have had a vacation home for the past few years.
I took hubby with me, took my meds, told her exactly what I had tried and what worked, and she gave me a months worth of pain meds along with my other matienence meds. but I see her in two weeks for my blood pressure.
She started me on a beta blocker for my BP, and then wants to try cymbalta after we get the new BP med working.
She gave me more than enough pain control, the oxy and oxycodone for BT, and then said after the hilidays we could start some other options.
I was so relieved to find someone who understands that I just started bawling after my appt. she gave me a huge hug and said "no one should have to be so stressed all of the time because they cant find a doc or has to try to deal with a doc hours away that really isnt even seeing you."
Hubby was so supportive and told her there are days i dont even get out of bed, ect.
He was really happy and impressed with her as well, so this is all I could ever ask for. I did call my old GP last night and tell him thank you for all of his care, and he was happy I had found someone.
I left her all of my records, tests, ect. and she said she would read them all this weekend, then scan what she needed then return them.
I just wanted to let all of you know how it turned out, and that I appreciate all of your support and care while I have been struggling with trying to find a new doc. Its horrible, and I wouldnt wish it upon my worst enemy.
xoxoxoxoxo,
IZZY'SMOM

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-23-2008, 01:28 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User
Re: New understanding pm...best christmas present ever~

Izzy I am so very happy for you, I'll just bet your mood was great after that visit & just in time for the the holidays. It really is such a burden lifted off your shoulders to know someone is there for you. I'll bet your sure smiling alot more today. Please let us know how it goes. God bless, Sammy

Old 12-23-2008, 01:30 PM   #3
(female)

katlovesdogs HB User

"She gave me more than enough pain control, the oxy and oxycodone for BT, and then said after the hilidays we could start some other options."

At least you can chill out literally for the holidays FINALLY relief

Old 12-23-2008, 01:39 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

IZZY'SMOM HB User

"hilidays" LOL~ I swear Im not a hillbilly
xoxoxo,
IZZY'SMOM

Old 12-23-2008, 02:34 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Mumbles401 HB User

I am happy for you that you can finally have a piece of mind, and being honest with yourself and being honest with all doctors is the most important thing.
I am kind of curious if somedays you can not get out of bed, how can you be on the golf tour???? Have a good x mas

Old 12-23-2008, 03:48 PM   #6
(female)

Lotty667 HB UserLotty667 HB UserLotty667 HB User

I am so happy that you finally found someone who will treat your pain and listen to you when you speak. Advocating for ourselves can be really hard sometimes and you are really lucky to have such a supportive hubby!

I don't know if you remember, but you and I discussed Cymbalta about a year ago. It is the most awesome med for depression and it also helps with my nerve pain. After years of fighting depression and having adverse reactions to every anti-depressant I took, Cymbalta literally saved me. I hope it works as well for you as it has done for me.

Take care and have a wonderful, painfree Xmas.

Liz

Old 12-23-2008, 05:30 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

IZZY'SMOM HB User

Mumbles... only in the last few months have I not even been able to compete. I had to drop out about 3 months ago or so, and I havent been able to do anything. Im excited to get back and be able to get myself to where I can hopefully participate again soon.

It has been a very long hard journey and I will be very happy to have my life back again.

Thank you for your support, again, everyone.:xoxoxox,
IZZY'SMOM

Old 12-23-2008, 05:38 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

IZZY'SMOM HB User

Liz~
I do remember now! We discussed Cymbalta and you did tell me how it had saved you. I love reading otner persons' experiences on Cymbalta on the board, but I also do get scared or worried when I read of persons who have adverse reactions or side effects.
If you remember I told you that I had tried a lot of antidepressants and had bad experiences with side effects.
I have read posts where people say if you forget a dose for a day you get "brain zaps, .ect or that it is really hard to go off of.
I shared this with my new doc and she said she hadnt heard of this, but she thought it was worth it to try it for me because it is supposed to actually help with pain. Im terrified to try it, Liz. I am SO sensitive to new meds.
WEll, Ill do what I can to get better, and Ill try it. if it doesnt work, then Ill try something else!~
Hopefully Ill have a great experience with it and it will help with my pain.
Thank you again for you post. its nice to see you back again~ You were gon for so long, and Im sorry for the drama that you had happen. The best thing, is that you are here safe and sound.
Have a super holiday and take care. Thank you for your support~
xoxoxo,
IZZY'SMOM

Old 12-23-2008, 09:29 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

hessie28 HB Userhessie28 HB User

Izzy, I'm glad you finally got a good and caring doctor. I believe all things happen for a reason. All that BS you had to go through finally led you to this doctor. I hope she helps you. Wishing you Happy Holidays and a New Year with less or no pain.

Old 12-27-2008, 09:10 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

zoey1 HB User

you know you got me thinking of the price we pay for choosing where we live.
With all my medical complications the small town would not work for me. It was a choice to stay outside of the big city.
In reference to that. You had lack of choices because of where yall lived.
I am very grateful you found someone that would not only work with you but keep your other complications in mind as well. Hopefully she will not start you off on too many new stuff all at once but introduce it to your system slowly to get the max benefits thereof. Given our bad experiences with some docs i am so glad your hubby took time to go with you.
I hope you have a wonderful holiday and more peace of mind and more periods of pain relief on this new part of your journey.

Old 12-27-2008, 07:20 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

IZZY'SMOM HB User

Zoey, Hessie, Liz, ALL of you who have been so supportive,
I really want to say "thank you", and your kindness and thoughtfulness is so appreciated.
Thank you again for your kind words, thoughts, and positive posts. Not only does it make a huge difference to me, but Im sure there are others who are struggling with the same issues as well.
These boards are a lifesaver to me, and to have positive comments and thoughts make a huge difference when I am struggling.
Hopefully, I am on the upside of getting my pain under control, I have a new doc that is supportive and has some new options and treatments that I havent tried, and Im so very happy and excited.
Im sending positive thoughts and prayers to all for less pain and even better to be pain free in '09.
Thank you again for reading my posts, and for your support.
xoxoxoxo,
IZZY'SMOM

Old 01-06-2009, 06:33 PM   #12
(female)

Lotty667 HB UserLotty667 HB UserLotty667 HB User

Izzy'smom - With regards to the "brain zaps" if you miss a dose, I have never had this happen to me. I can be scatterbrained sometimes and have missed doses with absolutely no adverse reactions.

That being said, I wouldn't go off this or any other medication "cold turkey". If it appears that Cymbalta isn't for you (and I am praying that it works as well for you as it did for me) I would tritate down slowly.

Here's hoping and praying that this med works for your depression and if it also helps with the nerve pain then mores the better.

Take care and I look forward to hearing how it works for you. Remember to allow at least a couple of weeks for you body to aclimate to this drug. Although I have to say, I felt 100% plus better even after the first week.

Here is sending good thoughts and prayers your way.

Liz

Old 01-06-2009, 08:24 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

IZZY'SMOM HB User

Liz~
Thank you for your feedback. Actually I had my check up with her yesterday to see how my BP meds were working, and Id had the flu for a few days, [actually a LOT], so I really didnt feel like my meds stayed down sufficently to even make a difference.
She also agreed, and we decided to start with a clean slate, yesterday.
Also, we are hoping that if my BP goes down and the med level I am on, PT, and working out, will maybe help and the Cymbalta may not be needed.
I did tell her that I would try whatever she suggests, though, and she said it would be nice if all of the above could maybe help and alleviate the need for the Cymbalta.
I know you have always sworn by it helping you, and your feedback is always the one I remember when I get skittish about trying it.
What can 2 weeks hurt? If it helps me to get my life back, then Ill be estactic.
Thanks again, and I hope you are doing well~
xoxoxoxo,
IZZY'SMOM

Old 01-06-2009, 09:31 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

hessie28 HB Userhessie28 HB User

Izzy, I'm glad I could make you feel a little better. I love coming here because no one else really understands what we go through.

Wishing you a pain free 2009.

Old 01-08-2009, 05:46 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sage48 HB UserSage48 HB User

Izzy...I am so pleased for you...finding an understanding Dr. is wonderful...finding a supportive one is the best. Feel better!!

Leslie

Closed Thread