It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Pain Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2009, 05:10 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User
Recovering

Hey everyone, I wanted to let all my CP family know I am post op from Cervical surgery & muddling along. I am praying this surgery is successful & would not mind you all joining in.
For those of you who have known me awhile you will remember how hard it was to even find out what was wrong. I wanted you all to know that after all the tests that were done alot of what was found during surgery was not apparent on either MRI that was done of that area.
All the questioning & worry over meds & when the surgeon got in & seen what was going on in there he let my husband know I must have really been in some pain. Of course along with all the other doctors he encouraged me not to up my meds at my consultation & as it should be warned me about the ill effects of narcotics. Now I know why the pain was so hard to control & why the last couple wks before surgery I struggled to make it.
It makes me wonder how many people are walking around in pain because of tests not showing the how bad an injury or condition really is. It cant just be me.
I know there are some who are still looking for what is causing them so much pain, dont give up & listen to your bodies. I should have had something done along time ago but all the doctors chose to go by one MRI without ever having any doubts or recommending any other tests due to my symptoms .

I hate to see anyone else go through what I have. Now of course I am facing more surgeries & already the surgeon is talking about my PM weaning me off my meds.
As for me I am restless & uncomfortable. Some of my pain has gone down & I have some lingering that I hope gets better & yes pain I have never had which I sure hope goes away.
I am curious to see his reaction when he hears what the surgeon discovered as my last visit he pretty much pushed my concerns about my pain level aside. I want to wish you all a happy & pain free new year, Sammy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-04-2009, 12:05 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

backhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB User
Re: Recovering

Sammy,
God speed to you as you heal. I have had many MRI's and CT scans that didn't come close to showing what was actually going on with my back. In fact, when I had surgery both times, the surgeons' both told me that the films didn't even reflect 1/3 of what was actually wrong, and no where near the actual compression that they were dealing with. My first surgery originally was supposed to be 3 hours, and it wound up being 6 and a half, closer to 7 hours. My second was similar......

It's really disgusting that we rely on doctors who rely on these tests that are supposed to show them the big picture, when in reality, they should only be used as part of the diagnostic picture, not the whole pie.....
Anyway, heal well, take it easy and hopefully this will bring you some more relief than you think.
Back

Old 01-04-2009, 06:19 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

trowftd3 HB User

Sammy,
I hope this helps you and you begin to feel better soon.

I have no xrays, mri's or ct's that show anything wrong with me. I am so, so lucky that my doctors believe me.They believe that my pain is real. I hope I'm not jinxing myself because I have nothing to show except all of the tests and drugs that I've tried.

Things are not going so well here. My meds don't seem to be covering my pain as well anymore. I have no where to go...no more tests to run...no more injections or tests....I just hope that the weather warms up and it helps my pain. Sorry to be such a downer but I've been crying a lot the last few days.

Hope eeryone else is feeling better.~Mush

Old 01-08-2009, 04:04 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User

Thanks for your time.
Mush, I am so very sorry. You know makes me wonder, nothing much showed up in all the tests I had done either. All the god knows the pain was there.

It took all that time to show & still did not show everything wrong or how severe it was based on what the surgeon found. Backhurtz is so right, tests should only be a part of the DX process. I understand how hard it can be for doctors without anything showing in testing. I had some minor things show in the past. Those minor things were much of the problem & in reality were not minor. There are a couple tests that could have been done & looking back I wished I had been more assertive in my own care. Although the tests were mentioned the doctors always chose not to do them. Now I wish I would have been more persistant

I am wondering Mush has even the slightest thing shown in any of your tests you have had done? I know my friend what it feels like to wonder, its the hardest part of it all. I wish I could help you as my heart goes out to you but I do understand. Almost 4yrs for me since this started & I wonder if it would have been this bad had we had found it sooner. God bless & take care, Sammy

Old 01-15-2009, 07:33 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

skych HB Userskych HB User

Hi Sammy,

I am now a bit over four months post op from my 2 Level ACDF C 4-6.

In the begining the only pain that seemed to go away was the arm weakness which I think I remember you talking was getting worse in the month or so before surgery. Oh how much I know you struggled on a daily basis!
This has been such a long and painful road.

If my memory stands correctly...you had your surgery on Dec-26th. If this is correct your still very very early out from your surgery.

In my case I remember that the first few months it seemed as though my neck pain and the scapular area of burning pain was constantly changing.
Everyday it was different.

I did a lot of walking walking walking....by the 4 week mork I was up to about 2-3 miles a day but not all at once.

Everyone is different and all docs seem to have a differnt way of handeling this surgery.

Since I have been away i am unfamiliar with what your surgeon had found going on in your neck during the surgery??? What did he find if you do not mind my asking! If you feel like not answering this question I totally understand

I do want to say that i have been moving along post operatively at what seems like a turtles pace..or a snails pace but some progress has been made.

I could not even imagine how you must feel when the docs told you more surgery....you poor thing! This has just been going on a long long time.

I know I have not beed here for a while Sammy, but there was not one day that passed that I did not hink of you and how you were doing and how your surgery went!
Sammy I am praying for you! Take it easy and follow the docs instructions...
It is not easy but there arepeople out there who have good outcomes...

Soft hugs coming your way!!!
Sky!

Old 01-18-2009, 07:54 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sky I am just glad to hear from you. I was worried & then thought perhaps you were busy with school. I am so glad to know your ok.
A couple wks before surgery my pain just shot up up up. I had such bad headaches & pain I just did not think I would make it. I could not figure out why these headaches were so bad & nothing touched them. I could barely even talk or touch my temple area with fingers. Still were not sure whether it was my neck,I know some was from my TMJ but the surgeon found such a mess in my cervical area he told my husband it could have contributed. It was much worse then we thought & there was nothing left & what little was left was into the spinal cord along with some other issues. I had C5-6 done & C4 & 7 are not in great shape. The surgeon said he understood why my pain was so bad & that the almost did C7 when he was in there but he had done far more then he intended & thought it would be harder on me. I was not happy about that, I would have rather had it done & over with. The MRI did not show alot of this so know of course I am not sure how much I trust them.
I could not believe the pain level & could not get anyone to help me out with the pain. My PM just said it was to close to surgery & that I was probably becoming sensitive due to the meds. He has yet to be told how bad it was & believe me my next appointment I will be letting him know & how much it scares me not to be taken seriously. I am beyond scared of ever having to go through that kind of pain again. I prayed & begged for relief & I am not even kidding.
I am so glad to hear from you & as you have read I am having issues with my collar. Is this why you asked me what brand of collar I had? This is tough.
I so want you to have all you deserve & pray for you to acheive it. God bless & welcome back. Sammy

Old 01-19-2009, 12:28 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

skych HB Userskych HB User

Oh Sammy,
I so missed you. Things just happened and I was not able to be where i wanted to be...life just happens sometimes and things come up. I truly did think of you and pray for you! I have never stopped thinking of you. I know or at lest I think your surgery was on Dec 26th so thinking that was the day i lit a candle and said a few word for your safety! I was with you all the way in spirit....
Now your on the other side of that part and it is a huge road my frend...
Even though I have made some progress like you there are other area's of my neck that are at some risk...
The NS who did the first suregy of mine I just had to switch docs for my best nterest...my new ortho spinal surgeon is great but the NS had some "not sures" he had mentioned about how many levels to fuse! The Ortho decided to only fuse C 4-6
I like you have other area;s with identifed issues that are more at risk then just if they had no issue at all. I often wonder if this is the source of the left over or continuing pain....
I also look at my x-rays every time they take them in the orthos office....do you look at your X-rays..??? When your surgeon went in from what you have posted I here you saying there was much more going on in there...Let me see if I am understanding some...
When they went in and found the "more" going on" was the disc really pushing into your Spinal cord??? Wow that was a really really long time for that to be compressing your spinal cord hon....A lot alot alot of pain...you poor thing
I did not haev any cord compression so they have said and I took a huge risk with the ACDF becuse without any cord impingement they actually say that there is a lesser...much lesser chance to releive the pain....a 50-50 percent chance..

I wonder sometimes how I will be a year out from my surgery because I just feel like you...there is still so much of it left but at the same time I do see improvements in area's...
I am hoping that over time....things willl begin to calm down and then the other things you have going on can be addressed....

What concerns me most is the discussion of your gait

Sammy, I have made that leap of faith to see a Pain Psycholigist....I still hae some pain issues I feel are unresolved and I would like some extra help in learning how I handle things and how I can handle them better. I have since stared reading this therapist workbook about chronic pain...I love the work book so far and it has already helped me to look at things differently because my pain is real! And so is yours.

Have you thought aout this type of support? This guy specializes in Chroinic pain patients only ...

Are you still seeing the same PM you had back in November??? I am also still not clear on what type of collar you have...My collar caused me a lot of pain and that was a big issue ...it would give me severe headaches as well....

I am still with my same PM...

hon your body just may not want to heal and re-program that fast so do not give up....I still feel there is lots of time left for things to get better and better...I know that is or may be hard to see at this moment but hold on to the faith girl....
Recovering is not just physical ...in my opinion when a person has been in chronic pain for soooo long it is a whole person that needs to heal physically mentally spiritually and emotionally....we are whole people needing treatment not just for our body parts that are injured....we come as a "whole"
Remember we are a whole turtle OK...lol
many soft gentle hugs for you!!!
Skych!!

Last edited by Administrator; 01-19-2009 at 06:49 PM.

Old 01-20-2009, 06:00 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sky, I posted on the spinal board about the collar, its really causing me some problems.
The way my surgeon put it to my husband & sister were, there was nothing left there & what was left going into the spinal cord, I beleive he is referring to the vertabrea (sp) at least that is what my sister mentioned. He said the C6 was like collapsing onto the 7 I believe & hoped that just by fixing the C5-6 would help the C7 some. He did say it was a mess & he was not expecting to find what he did but it explained why my pain level was out of control.

Yes he did show us the xrays & MRI. My husband asks alot of questions & the surgeon likes to tease him about it.
I dont know how long it was like that but the last 2or3wks before surgery were a nightmare & no relief from the pain. It just progressed. I swear it hurt to much to cry. I begged & I mean begged for relief. I honeslty believe when it gets that bad not much helps.

As for support I am considering a group at my PMs that meet once a month but that will have to wait till I can drive. I am hoping I get alot better but I know I still have more in there to deal with, by the grace of god I may go years with the cervical but the lumbar has to be checked next. I am strong & will make it. I worked up till that last week before surgery so I just tell myself you can do this. I never want to go through that pain again & of course it scares me.

I can see why CPers would need help, honestly its tough, it alters your life so much & I am not ashamed to admitt there were days I thought I would loose it, In fact I am sure I did if you ask my family,lol. You have been a blessing to me & I am so very glad you are ok. God bless Sky & I am happy you found a good surgeon.

Closed Thread