It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Pain Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2009, 05:33 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

tiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB User
How concerned should I be?

Hi all,

Things have been pretty quiet for me pain wise, at least until last Tuesday. I had to go to a training class for my job and ended up in one of the "bad" training rooms. This one had the worst chairs ever, and had the computer monitors mounted under the desktop. About 2 hours into the class my thorasic - right about the level where I have the worst myfascial pain, started hurting really badly in the back right where the spine is., not my normal pain at all.

I see the massage therapist tomorrow, and hopefully will find that it's just trigger points going nuts, but I'm starting to think that maybe I should make an appt with the Dr. I'm wondering if I somehow injured a disk sitting like that, bent forward with no support for 8 hours to see the monitor. Has anybody ever heard of that happening? This feels somewhat like when I injured the disk in my lumbar area, but up till now I've had NO disk problems in the thorasic. I guess I'll see what the MT says tomorrow, and see the Doc if she can't resolve it.

Tigg.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-12-2009, 11:35 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

hessie28 HB Userhessie28 HB User
Re: How concerned should I be?

Hi, It sounds like the desk that got you. As you are sitting there you don't realize it. It hits you later. You can have a computer slightly to your left or right and feel fine. If it is not right in front of you, just that slight turn with your neck can cause horrible pain. If the desk is not set up to be ergonomic (sp?), it will cause pain to anyone. If you already have pain issues then it will be worse for you. I had alot of issues with my work station a few years ago. I actually got a tear in my elbow tendon from typing because the desk was not ergonomic. Sitting there for 8 hours would definately do it to you. I suggest you get a doctor's note explaing you need an ergonomic work station and when you have training they try to accomodate you. All depends how good your employer is. My desk never got fixed. Instead, they moved me. But eveyone that sat there after me had issues.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-12-2009, 03:30 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

momzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB Usermomzworkin HB User

Hi Tigg,
I think anyone having to sit at one of those desks would be in pain! We have those for software training where I work and I see EVEYONE wiggling by the third hour. I think a godd massage and an ice pack would be awesome. One step forward is two steps back for all of us with CP so give yourself a break since anxiety stresses your body and we all know a stressed body isn't a healing body!

Blessings,
Michelle

Old 01-13-2009, 04:41 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

tiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB User

Hessie,

My desk where I normally work is all set up special for me, special chair, monitor on a stand, etc. I had the problem when I had to go to a training class where they have the weird setup and bad chairs. I usually try to avoid the classes because I know the setup is bad, but this one I HAD to go to.

Thanks,

Tigg.

Old 01-14-2009, 04:10 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Toonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB User

tiggertoo- I have a similar problem. I frequently have to attend meetings off site, and if I get in a bad chair, I develop severe pain. My pain is also in my thoracic area, but I think it is being referred from my cervical spine. I have a special chair and desk set up, but when I go to meetings, I don't know what to do. When I am in my building, I wheel my chair with me, but when I go to other buildings, I obviously can't. Sometimes the pain is so bad that I have to leave or go home. I have talked to my boss, and he has encouraged me to call ahead and make sure they have a chair available for me that will work out well, but it's hard. Does your work place know about your condition?

Old 01-15-2009, 04:39 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Toonces,

Yes, my manager knows about the problem. Meetings aren't an issue for me. If they aren't on my floor so I can take my chair, they let me participate by phone. We have people in a lot of different locations around the city and country so it's pretty common to do that. It only becomes a problem when I've got training classes. It's in a different building and they don't have anything for people with physical problems. I'm going to talk to them about the issue, this last instance was really awful.

Tigg.

Old 01-15-2009, 05:41 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User

Tig, I just wanted you to know a couple of times I had doctor & a PT think I may have been having problems in the T area & all along it was in the cervical.
Even post op I am still having pain & spasms in the ribs. If this pain does not go away or even if new symptoms appear then have it looked into. you never know. Good luck, Sammy

Old 01-16-2009, 05:21 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sammy,

I'm better since seeing the MT. It looks like it's muscular problems and sitting like that for 8 hrs just starting it hurting in a different place. If it doesn't clear up completely soon I will see the Dr. to make sure.

Tigg.

Old 01-16-2009, 06:51 AM   #9
Inactive
(female)

skych HB Userskych HB User

Hey Tigg!!!

Wow that pain sounds just like mine!! I have had that type of pain since before my first neck surgery (posterior Foraminotomy C3-4 and 4-5) then it got worse along with my neck pain and then in Sept I had the ACDF C 4-6 and still that same burning aweful pain...debilitating sometimes...
I actually to this day even since my ACDF last 9-3-08, have that pain!

I started PT and that flared it soooo bad that I had to go and Have it checked...
The ortho's office X-rayedit and I had to have a new MRI on the T-spine because the the other one was over a year old....costly little test!!

Anyway nothing was found like a disc problem or anything, but given the type of pain I could have swore that there was a pinched type nerve or something nerve wise going on in that area.

Sitting has been an issue for me for a long time now...ever since the accident...going to college is tough and I need to for sure have a good chair sipplied by the disabilities office.

Just to let you know they only found my scoliosis to be mild and a already known about hemangioma at T-7.

I was told by all my docs and medical peopleit was Myo-facial pain and just needed to be treated that way. Not to say this is your problem because I am for sure not a doc, but just to share my experience with ou...

So the PM doc did a type of trigger point right into the painful area...which by the way can be palpated by a doc or nurse and recreate that same burningawful pain. The type of injection he did he referrred to as "old school" He called it "needleing" He marked the 3 painful lump spost that are right inbetween the scapula and the spine around T-4 through T-7 and then did this injection there which had a small amount of steroid med and a small amount of numbing med in it!.

Togg I got good results from this injection ...it was about a week and 1 day ago so my PM is allowing me to come backand have another set next Thursday!!!

I hope that your docs can figure out some way to get this pain to calm down for you! It is not an easy pain to deal with and I just could not imagine having to go to work at this time with that pain...I am so sorry your hurting!

But there is hope!!!
Anyway....I gotta run for now so I hoep that everyone has a wonderful and good pain level day!!!
Sky

Old 01-16-2009, 09:56 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sky,

I think the doc injected into the wrong area. He did 5 injections with cortisone into the area where the referred pain is, and not where I now know the biggest trigger points are. I don't do very well with cortisone anyway, and I seem to be making progress with the massage therapy. I'm glad they are working for you, it seems that they do for a lot of people. I may have to reconsider at some point, but if I do I'll have the MT mark the trigger points before I go. I seem to develop small ones that the MT can break up and aren't always in the same place, but I've got three huge ones that are pretty much always there to some extent. I had my hubby feel one and he kind of freeked out thinking it was a tumor. I had to have him feel again right after I'd been to the MT and she'd broken it up for him to really believe it. I've had my thorasic MRI'd and there isn't anything there except a very small amount of arthritis at T7/T8. I think myofascial can feel like a pinched nerve because the hardened fascia can press on nerve and cause spasms that also press on the nerves.

Tigg.

Old 01-17-2009, 07:42 AM   #11
Inactive
(female)

Hey Tigg,
What the MT did to break up those areas ....did it flare you up afterward??? Just wondering becasue the first time it was done to me it really hurt me to the point that as you mentioned it felt as if the nerves someplace were being pinched and that was the cause of the burning.
What you stated at the end of your last post was real interesting and does make total sense.

I too have three big things that I at one time wondered if they were some tumer tings or something...but now have found out that it is the muscle in there and also part of the imflamation that makes those lumps...
I have thre or so that are there right between the edge of the left scapula and the spin from T-4 through T-7...Those little buggers can just hurt like mad and burn!!!

Marking those spots is a good Idea! My PM actually had me gown up in his office and then palpated the area's untill he recreated the symptoms and every time he caused the bad burn he was on one of those lumpy spots....
So he would mark them and then that is where he injected....

When do you have another apptment for your myofacial release or MT? And when is your next appt with a PM I am guessing that will do some inections in the bad areas for you???

Next Thursday I will have more injections...

The myo facial release stuff and the ijections my PM stated kinda go hand and hand...So far I have been able to increase my activity level since both things were done!! What a blessing form the place I have come from...Not sure if you remember any of my story but I will have to see if it is stil there and if not re-post it!!

I hope you will be feeling better today...Hey you work to don't you?? I have been through so much medical stuff in the last 5 years I have been unable to work. My goal to go back to work in May is actually looking like it could be possible ....what a blessing that would be....

Any way I have chattered on long enough...
Good day!
Sky

Old 01-18-2009, 01:50 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Sky,

I see the MT again on Wed. She starts out just using light pressure on the trigger points, and works up to regular deep tissue massage. By the time she's done the muscles have relaxed and the lumpy part has been worked out. I'm not seeing the PM anymore, my internist is handling my meds since I'm not looking at injections again soon. For now we're sticking with the massage since I have such a poor reaction to the cortisone. The MT allows me to move around more and do more things.

Yes I work, fortunatly it's mostly computer stuff so I'm in a chair and can use ice when I need to.

I hope your injections help. It seems that they do work really well for some people.

Tigg.

Old 01-19-2009, 01:43 PM   #13
Inactive
(female)

Hey Tigg,
I am scheduled as you know for another injection on Thurs and will see the Pain Psych on Wed and tomorrow will have the myo-facial release...
I did something to my neck on Friday and got into a finky position while trying to get my new computer connected to the wireless...
The router and modem are in a place where I had to move in a way I do not normally move in drder to see all the numbers they asked me to get from the router...long story short i felt something and have been in total neck pain agony ever since...add a small cold and some life emotional stuff to that and Oh-Boy!!!

I am the total opposite of you...I can;t sit for long periods of time...We will see how this semester goes since I will be in class and Lab and this will all be inthe late afternoon and evening...
That is the one thing I wish I could do more of is sit for longer periods...

I also feel the same about the MT...I think that the therapist can get into those balled up knots and work them out to where they are not quite as big...mine are really yucky right now and the PM said i need to have the MT or Myo-facial release to back up the injections...so we endure and try our best to keep moving...
Keep us posted and I will do the same....
Feel better ok
Sky

Closed Thread