It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Pain Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2009, 02:16 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User
Unhappy Untreated chronic pain shrinks your brain

I read an article recently that stated that they did research on people that lived with chronic pain that was not treated. Obviously they did this research after the people were dead but they looked at their brains. They noticed that the brains of these people were 20% smaller than that of an average person. So living with chronic untreated pain has a HUGE impact on our lives and actually causes brain shrinkage. This was rather scary to read but at least mine is somewhat treated so I don't know what that means for me?????

I just thought I would post about it and get people's reactions and comments.

brian

Old 01-26-2009, 06:37 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Boxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB User
Re: Untreated chronic pain shrinks your brain

brian, this does not surprise me in the least. I think if the research was done(and it may be, I don't know) that they would find that chronic pain does a lot more damage than they know. They have the research on how it effects patients after surgery and thus why pain should be controlled so they can recover quicker and with a healthier state of mind. I do think the studies are out there how untreated chronic pain effects people so negatively but I don't quite understand how the abuse of pain meds have become of more importance than the effects of untreated pain.

I can certainly speak for myself in how I was before I was treated and I hope and pray that I never have to go back. I get chronic kidney stones and even though I can rationalize that it is temporary and the pain will go away either by passing or surgical removal of the stone, I still panic and my thoughts go to what if this pain never goes away? I know it stems from my untreated pain and for all the years I suffered. It is a very profound experience as we all know.

Melissa

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-27-2009, 03:52 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User

Brain how are you buddy? Always wondered how you are doing.
Very interesting. I think we all know that its not good to be in pain. Most of us have taken trips to ER, urgent care or our doctors & look at the change in our vitals. Everything can go alittle bonkers. We know to leave Blood pressure problems untreated its not good, also for it to flex to much, you know rise & then go back down on a regular basis is not good for one either & it can be damaging. We all have a baseline for our BP & our numbers should be in that range. Makes me wonder if living in CP can cause hypertension for some people.
I have not heard anything like that but I can tell you before my surgery I was in so much pain I did not think I would make it. I cant remember alot during the last week or two before surgery & thats not like me at all. I told me husband its like I have a mental block or something. Its actually alittle scary. I know if I am having a bad day its like that but for that length of time that is strange. I know some things have changed. Spelling is a big one. I used to be able to spell & write much better then I do now. You know never had to think about it. I often wonder if anyone else has had these types of things happen.
Very interesting Brain, Great to hear from you & hope all is going well, God bless, Sammy

Old 01-27-2009, 06:02 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sage48 HB UserSage48 HB User

I believe that the CP will do this...maybe a defense mechanism for the brain...it can only take so much?? I know that when my back was really acting up my BP was way up too..and my emotions would be all messed up too. This is scary....I used to have a really really great memory...but now I have to wonder sometimes. Very interesting.

Sage

Old 01-27-2009, 12:51 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

trowftd3 HB User

Sammy,

****REMOVED - Only respond to the orginator.******

Very interesting topic(scary too) Brian! How are you? Are you feeling good about where you're at with your pain control/treatment/doctors etc???
Hope all is well.~Mush

Closed Thread