It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Pain Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2009, 01:29 AM   #1
(male)

HitmanTV41 HB User
Broken finger, possibly nerve damage?

I was browsing through the net and stumbled upon some articles here about broken fingers and nerve damage and think I might have the same issue. I've broken fingers before but the last time I broke my left index finger the upper left side of my body hasn't been the same. X-rays show that the finger has healed correctly but my finger is always stiff and always tingling and it's really hard to bend that finger when I make a fist unless I really try. And when I make a fist or sometimes when I type or whenever I use my index finger sometimes pain shoots up the finger up my arm and into the muscles near the collar bone. Now I got this huge knot in the muscles near the collar bone that NEVER goes away and hurts like hell. I get massages all the time, I've tried every medication on earth. And if I try marijuana for pain relief my whole body goes numb but the area from my finger up to the upper part of my body actually hurts way more. I was wondering if anyone else has gone through this or something similar and if someone can give me some advice. Now I don't have insurance and all the doctors I always saw are freaking morons. Thanks!

Last edited by HitmanTV41; 03-02-2009 at 01:32 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-02-2009, 09:03 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
Re: Broken finger, possibly nerve damage?

just exactly "how' did you break that particular finger? what you are describing actually sounds more like a c spine problem that is affecting that finger not the other way around? the median nerve is what actually innervates the forefinger at the c spine level this also correlates up there to the c 6-7 level,depending. when my c 6-7 herniated i had very strong symptoms in that forefinger as well. i seriously would speak to your doc about a referral for an MRI to be done on your c spine area. this may reveal the underlying problem. there can be many different types of spinal issues going on in anyones spine that can affect fingers,some very extreme, depending upon just what the real issue is and how severely it is impacting the nerve roots up there.

what you are describing just really sounds classic for possible c spine problems. radiculopathy is what it actually is called. but an MRI of your c spine,in my opinion,is really much needed right now. this just does NOT sound like 'just' a finger issue at all. just speak with your doc about the symptoms and see about getting that MRI. i am willing to bet, just based upon what you have described, you DO have some level of problem up in that c 6-7 area. i do wish you luck with this. please keep me posted. Marcia

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-02-2009, 01:14 PM   #3
(male)

HitmanTV41 HB User
Re: Broken finger, possibly nerve damage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by feelbad View Post
just exactly "how' did you break that particular finger? what you are describing actually sounds more like a c spine problem that is affecting that finger not the other way around? the median nerve is what actually innervates the forefinger at the c spine level this also correlates up there to the c 6-7 level,depending. when my c 6-7 herniated i had very strong symptoms in that forefinger as well. i seriously would speak to your doc about a referral for an MRI to be done on your c spine area. this may reveal the underlying problem. there can be many different types of spinal issues going on in anyones spine that can affect fingers,some very extreme, depending upon just what the real issue is and how severely it is impacting the nerve roots up there.

what you are describing just really sounds classic for possible c spine problems. radiculopathy is what it actually is called. but an MRI of your c spine,in my opinion,is really much needed right now. this just does NOT sound like 'just' a finger issue at all. just speak with your doc about the symptoms and see about getting that MRI. i am willing to bet, just based upon what you have described, you DO have some level of problem up in that c 6-7 area. i do wish you luck with this. please keep me posted. Marcia
I broke my finger playing basketball, I went for a steal and hit the ball awkwardly and it broke. I do have a small case of scoliosis but it wasn't too bad last time I had it checked it which was um, a while ago. I wish I had insurance to talk to a doctor since I'm no longer with that one and with these hard economic times I haven't been working so it's all very frustrating. Having an old bed probably doesn't help either, it's 16 years old! My back doesn't bother me at all like I said I got this one nasty spasm that won't go away in between the shoulder and neck area and that's the real killer. Argh it hurts so much just to type right now!

Closed Thread