It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Pain Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2009, 08:59 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

emmie54 HB Useremmie54 HB User
Question about tolerance

I was recently switched from Lortab 7.5 to Talwin as I had developed tolerance to the Lortab. I really can hardly tell I've taken the Talwin. Does anyone know if this is comparable to Lortab? I can't find any mg. on the script. Does it come in only one dosage? It doesn't feel any different than the Lortab and it had stopped working! Can you develop tolerance for ANY pain med? That's pretty scary.

I was put on Lyrica at the same time and it seems to be working fairly well so I am getting some pain relief but for BT pain I'm not too happy with the Talwin right now.

Old 03-27-2009, 10:25 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User
Re: Question about tolerance

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmie54 View Post

Does anyone know if this is comparable to Lortab? I can't find any mg. on the script.
I think Talwin is Pentazocine and it's a schedule IV drug, part of the benzomorphan class. I would ask your pharmacist about it. I'm quite sure it comes in different strengths. There is also a version (Talwin NX) that is mixed with naloxone.

I don't know much about it...It's not used very much.

Quote:
Can you develop tolerance for ANY pain med? That's pretty scary.
Tolerance is the main drawback to pain meds, besides their direct side effects. Tolerance is an CP patients enemy. However, it can be managed effectively. Normally, when patients develop a tolerance to hydrodcodone, they are moved to Oxycodone. I'm not sure why your Doc went a different direction. Maybe you could provide more details.

Best of luck to you.

Regards,

Ex

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-28-2009, 07:09 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

He wasn't necessarily trying to go stronger, just different. Oxy is stronger than Hydro, is it not? He wanted to go with something comparable in strength but in a different "family".

I'm sorry my question regarding tolerance was not very clear. This is unfamiliar territory for me. I know you can develop tolerance to any given pain med, but can you develop a tolerance to ALL meds or is it usually just to a particular drug. In other words does switching meds "solve" the tolerance issue? I may be having Tarsal Tunnel release surgery and need to have post op meds that will work. I have taken Percocet post op in the past and it worked pretty well. If I have developed a tolerance for Hydro will that carry over to Oxy since they are both "codone"?

thanks

Last edited by emmie54; 03-28-2009 at 07:39 PM.

Old 03-28-2009, 08:16 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmie54 View Post

Oxy is stronger than Hydro, is it not?
Yes, it is. Most move to Oxy after a tolerance to Hydro.

Quote:
I know you can develop tolerance to any given pain med, but can you develop a tolerance to ALL meds or is it usually just to a particular drug. In other words does switching meds "solve" the tolerance issue?
Normally, when you develop tolerance to one pain med, your overall tolerance will rise as well. Think of it as this....if you drink a lot of beer and develop a tolerance to beer, you will also have an increased tolerance to other types of alcohol, even if you've never drank those "other" types.

However, switching to different meds ("opioid rotation" is the official term) can often help. Sometimes, pain will respond to certain meds over others....Because you feel pain at the receptor sites in your brain, and certain meds appeal to certain receptor sites. Opioid rotation is a well documented theory. However, if you aren't getting the relief you need, then you probably need to move in a different direction. Normally, opioid rotation isn't employed until you've moved way up the ladder. A certain degree of tolerance is inevitable, and should be expected.

Quote:
I may be having Tarsal Tunnel release surgery and need to have post op meds that will work. I have taken Percocet post op in the past and it worked pretty well. If I have developed a tolerance for Hydro will that carry over to Oxy since they are both "codone"?
Not necessarily....Because Oxycodone is quite a bit stronger than Hydrocodone. However, if you've been taking Hydro for a while now, the Oxy may be less effective than otherwise, but still work. Also keep in mind that there are a vast array of other meds that your Doc can use for post op pain, including stronger versions of Oxy. Percocet is the lowest end of the Oxycodone family.

Hope this helps. Take care, and good luck.

Regards,

Ex

Old 03-29-2009, 05:12 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

ex, thanks for the good information.

Closed Thread