It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Pain Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2009, 05:36 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

allanbruce HB Userallanbruce HB Userallanbruce HB Userallanbruce HB User
The worst pain and spasm I have ever had.

Twice so far I have had a big scare. I had the worst scare today. I was doing some stuff on my boat hoping to make it friendly for me to use. I went to sit down and pow I really thought I had severed my spinal cord. It was incredably painful it burned like a hot poker, the pain and burning shot up my back and down my legs. I felt like if I had moved another inch or had not stopped and hang on to slowly lower my self to the seat that I would have passed out. This has only happened to me once before. I have been to scared to move my back with any jolt or to fast for the rest of the day.

I know that things have changed and I have made inquires to see the autopedic surgoen and have a MRI, but I don't know how long this will take. I thought about ringing the ambulance but everyone was home and I did not want anyone to know how bad it was and how scared I am.
I don't know if this can really damage my spine but it is causing all sorts of new symptoms. What do I do? If my doctor can't arrange anything, I might have to just show up at emergency and not leave till they do the MRI. I really could use some advice. The pain radiats from my lower back.
Allan

Old 04-07-2009, 01:38 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

hessie28 HB Userhessie28 HB User
Re: The worst pain and spasm I have ever had.

Not sure of your circumstances but I would get to the Dr. right away. Sounds almost like sciatica but worse. You never know.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-09-2009, 08:10 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

zoey1 HB User

i was thinking about your post and wondering if you were on meds and stopped taking them as the pain eased up? If something changed in your meds? Were you over doing it while on the boat? Was it a long drive to get to the boat? Some times being in the car for a while can contribute to more muscle/strain issues. Also is there added stress going on in your life? I know at this point in my illness stress can aggravate all my issues. It also comes up in lab work that everything is off when things are out of whack.
Second third thought was inflamation going on aggravating stuff there? Go to doc get lab work ask for a sed rate test to see if inflamation can be aggravating your alreaady going on stuff.
I do hope you get some releif...
Oh last thought has the weather dramatically changed? Ie a cold front or storms before your bad bad pain flare up? Let us know how things go

Old 04-09-2009, 07:54 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

I am still taking it very easy, I feel the some troubles with my tummy woud be sturing things up also. I was sent for a CT scan yesterday, I know that it is not as good as a MRI but I have to wait until I hear back from the autho for that. I have been taking it easy since.
I have also been refered to see somone about my stomach. I got a letter back saying I am being assested to when I will get an apointment. Things move slow when you haven't got private insurance. I have had some bleeding so I can't take any chances. I think it has been caused by the consterpation. I also have some sort of bug that I get diarea as well. I hope things will setlle dowwn soon. Thanks for the feedback. Allan

Old 04-14-2009, 06:38 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

I get my CT scan results tomorrow and hope that it shows up at least part of what is going on. My stomach has not improved ether. So I am going to take my results to emergency at the hospital and try to get some help. I have since had another insidence with my back. I just crouched down to pick up some clothes on the floor and I had the same pain as before. Obviously some thing has changed in my spine that is now permenant and I only have to make the wrong move and the pain is the worst I have experianced. I am really conserned so I will just make every effort to find some help.
Allan

Old 04-14-2009, 07:27 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jema X HB User

Good luck tomorrow AB, I'll be thinking of you. Try to get a printed copy of the radiologists report in case the ER aren't experienced in neuro - this has happened to me before.

Take care

Juliet

Old 04-14-2009, 09:29 AM   #7
(male)

lifeaftr40 HB Userlifeaftr40 HB User

Good luck.. Hang in there.. Help is on its way ( We hope ) keep us posted

Old 04-19-2009, 11:44 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

Thanks for your thoughts, I got my results and when I read them and then my doctor it seemed to be reason for concern on 2 levels. So my doctor asked me to go to the emergency department, even though I was not at my worst, show them the report. I got in fairly quickly and they poked and proded me, pulled at my legs and had me pushing up and down. The trouble is they could not find the spot to set off the spasms etc. If they would only have listened and tried it when I was sitting up or standing, they my have found how some of these simptoms flare up. I only have to stand up quickly or twist to quickly and they could have seen me in agony. As it was they had to give me a shot of morphene so they could start again. And another half an hour later they gave me a hand full of pills.
What it comes down too was they were looking for numness or some particular pain that would show a nerology or something that was not there in my back at that time.
I believe that they could only help me if they could find some reason for urgent surgery. So as they could only treat my pain they prefer my doctor to refer me to outpatients so I would be asessed for how ergent my situation is and put on a long waiting list.
So it is back to me and my own. allan

Old 04-20-2009, 02:17 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jema X HB User

Hi AB, I'm sorry to hear of your troubles, I've had the same problem with ER drs who don't know much about neurosurgery...as if you can just recreate something that comes and goes, the body is much more complicated than that! I would seriously make an urgent request to see a neurosurgeon...this sounds serious and perhaps complicated. I wish that I had done it sooner and found the answers.
Could you post your results by any chance?
Please try to make that appointment, an otho surgeon is ok but a neurosurgeon knows a lot more about nerves - and a crushed nerve may well be causing your symptoms.
Take care.

Old 04-20-2009, 09:01 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

Here is a short version of the Diagnostic Radiologist's report.

At L4-5 There is a broard-based Posterior Bulge of the disc annulus, projecting backwards to efface the epiduaral fat pads. The disc bulge would be very close to the two descending L5 nerve roots in the central spinal canal. The exiting L4 nerve roots seem not to be efectted as they leave the spinal canal above the problem.

At L5-S1 There are very unusual appearances in the disc. There are very prominent Scmori's nodes on both sides in the inferior L5 and superior S1 Vertabral end plates. There is also a broard-based posterior bulge of the annulus at this level. Not as proinant as at L4-L5. Shown are marginal oesteophyte formation encroaching on the two L5-S1 lateral canals, these may also be compromising one or both of the exiting L5 nerve roots.

This is a slightly cut down version as I am a bit slow.

An earlier MRI I had back in 2002 had shown that there was intervertebral disc disiccation at L4/L5 and L5/S1.
At L5/L4 there was a posteriar heriation with annular tear. And at L5/S1 a posterior disc hernation touching and flattening the origin of the S1 nerve root.

Hope someone understands. It all adds up to lots of pain. Allan

Old 04-20-2009, 11:40 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jema X HB User

Hi AB, yep, I'm sure that this would add up to a lot of pain and it sounds like there are a number of nerves that are compressed - this is the main reasons for lumbar fusions. I'm sorry but at least you have some answers.

I would be getting onto a neurosurgeon asap as they're the only people that are really going to help and the only people I'd ever let operated on my spine, in Australia. Could you ring your dr and get a referral to the neuro clinic at your hospital? I think you said that you go through the public system. It would be good if your dr could state that it is urgent as you're having so many flare ups and you may get an earlier appointment. I don't know if you'd need surgery but you definitely need some professional advice. I don't think you'd regret it - even if you did have to pay and see a private neuro, they'll often greatly reduce their fee if you have a health care card or pay off the appointment over time. I would perhaps ring around and see what you can do.

I suppose the only positive here is that you have some answers...and twisting and bending over would most definitely cause you pain.

Best of luck, J.

Old 04-21-2009, 01:46 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

Thanks for that I am doing just that at the moment as my brother is very supportive and of course Mum and Dad, they want me to push now. There are quite a few new medical centre's about and some advanced equipment and doctors in this field so I am sure I will be able to get a referal. I have been on the internet all afternoon reserching. It just might be a wait as they would be busy I think. But if I gve my doctor an idea of how things have got increasingly worse she will do her best.

My family has seen me go down hill over the last 8 or so years, so they want to help if they can and if it has some costs to move things along I am sure they will loan me some $ to get through this. They are also willing to look after me if there is some after care. My family and myself just want to see some of the old me back again. I am only a fraction of who I used to be, and this is not a life it is hell. I have felt that I didn't want to impose on them but now I will take any help I can get.

I know there are a lot worse off out there and I feel for you also. It's nice that we can be here for each other. I have a little of what it is like for you and especially when there are children and partners to care for.
Allan

Old 04-21-2009, 02:07 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jema X HB User

That's great news, it's researching is the first step - at least for me anyway

It shouldn't take you too long, there are lots of neurosurgeons up there and thankfully most of what they do involves the lumbar spine. I think it will really put you at ease to know what is 'actually' going on and maybe they can even fix the problem, now that would be good. You may not be perfect even if you have surgery but hopefully it would go a long way to changing your life. If not surgery, the neurosurgeon will be able to tell you what is what and how to do things properly so that you don't end up in strife. Reading your scans, it does sound like they could do surgery and remove the compression on those nerves - they're big nerves and tend to cause pain in your lower back and down your legs, you can even get stomach pain. All of a sudden there are options for you and I think that's wonderful.

Take care and let us know ok?

Old 04-21-2009, 02:11 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(male)

Thanks I will update after I learn more. Bye

Old 05-01-2009, 07:30 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(male)

I have had another terrifying and painful spasm. I scared the heck out of my Dad who was sitting opposite me, and of course me.
The amount of activity before I have these spasms is getting less and I have really started to get scared that I am doing permanent damage to the nerves or whatever it is that is setting them off.
I had to replace the lenses and bulbs in my headlights and all it took was to crouch down a bit to undo the screws and I lay down on my side to replace the parts. And I really thought I was fine. I sat down to have lunch and I went to stand with the empty plate in my left hand.
It is the most painful thing I have ever felt a ten. I let out a scream, my hand shook violently against the table, the pain shoot down my right leg and up my spine until I dropped to the seat, and froze still to stop the pain. It feels like a knife being plunged into my spine and an electric shook shooting through me. I was not able to move for about 1/2 hour, before I tried to gingerly straiten my legs and carefully stand up.
This time I am still sore and afraid that this is going to happen again each time worse. I was so worried that I rang to try to bring forward my appointment with the Neurosurgeon. They could not. So I will be back to the doctor tomorrow to try to get a referral to someone else that will see me. Other wise I will be back off to the emergency rooms to try and get someone to listen to me and get me in for an MRI and to see a Neurosurgeon.
Every time this happens the pain is worse, the spasm is more pronounced and the effect on me lasts longer.
This is so frustrating and nerve racking. I am also concerned that my parents may have to pay for any operation, But I will except there help if it is offered. I know it will be expensive to push the surgeons to do this sooner but I will try to get as much as possible on to Medicare and they may get some back I hope.
Allan

Closed Thread