It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Pain Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2009, 01:08 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

hessie28 HB Userhessie28 HB User
Horrible pain (what a day)

I woke up today in so much pain. You know, the normal everyday pain I get and much more. I don't know if I can even describe it. It feels like everything is inflamed. Like being poked all over. My neck on both sides hurt really bad. My normal pain in the back, leg, hip and foot are much worse. Usually the pain is all on the right side. Today it is on both sides. I am already on the Fentanyl patch and taking Percocet every 4 hours. It is not even touching the pain. Every pain has a legitimate diagnosis. But, it never hurts this bad. I know it was damp and cold today. On Tuesday I pulled some weeds with a week puller. I had the cane in one hand and the puller in the other. I did bend a few times but nothing exciting. I can't believe the pain can all be from that. I do things all the time around the house and never gets this bad. If I call the Dr. what will he do? I know the pain is forever. I could cry because it hurts so bad but I never do that.

My day started with a visit to the dentist to fix a broken tooth. The dry mouth from my meds has caused my already sensitive teeth to turn really bad. Had 3 root canals since the end of November. If there is a silver lining, the tooth that broke was one of the root canal teeth. So he was able to put in a post and temporary crown. So I have three teeth I need crowns on. Luckily I have dental insurance but not sure how much left.

The hip pain is recent within the last few months. The xray showed mild arthritis. But it hurts really bad. Don't know if arthritis should hurt that bad. I think the Dr. should have ordered an MRI maybe. Xrays only show bone injusries I thought.

Then later on was the run around. I get my pills filled every 10-12 days. I have to drive to the Dr. because they can't be called in or refilled. I've been dealing with the Oxycodone shortage. So I have been getting Percocet in the meantime. I have a Fatty Liver so taking all that tylenol makes me nervous. Today I drive to the Dr. The nurse gives me my prescription for the Oxycodone. She says the shortage is over. I go to my usual place who says there is still a shortage and that is it. So I go to another place and they don't have either. When I stopped by the Dr. office the nurse said their phones were down. So, could not call them. I tried though. So now tomorrow (well later today) I have to drive back to the Dr. for the correct prescription. I am more then annoyed at that. He is going to have to give me something else without the Tylenol. You know what will happen next, my Fatty Liver will become a bigger problem.

I'm not depressed as everyone always assumes. I am in just so much pain. I usually can function but yesterday was very bad. I'm use to the normal pain. But when it all hurts at once there is a problem.

I have so many abdominal problems which may or may not be associated with the back surgery. All the tests I had done last year found little things but nothing that would cause that pain. I really feel like there is something going on inside that is causing the hip pain etc.

I am 44 years old. Have some women problems too. Been having some bad hot flashes also even though the Dr. said not menopause. I have bad bladder pressure. Feels like a lead ball inside pressing on it. The Doctors blame everything on the back. My primary is an excellent Dr. If I go to her she will probably order more tests to figure out what is going on. I don't want to look like I am running to different doctors.

I am just sharing. Everyone here always helps me with their responses. Thanks.

(All my medical issues)

back pain, failed back surgery syndrome, hip pain, lower pelvic pain (majority on right side), 3 herniated discs in neck, 1 thoracic herniated disc., TMJ, nerve pain in calf and foot, tendonitis in righ elbow and maybe left, Intercystial Cystitis (sp?), small hole in heart (birth defect found at 40 years old), 3 leaky valves, electric shocks in right buttock and leg occasionally, soft and sensitive teeth. (can't think of anymore)

Sorry I wrote a book book. Just needed to vent. Thanks for always helping me get through.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-16-2009, 03:36 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jema X HB User
Re: Horrible pain (what a day)

Hey Hessie, it sounds like you have had 2 pretty terrible days. Did you end up calling your dr? I hope that you can get more meds for flare ups if you need them - this sounds like a particularly bad one. I'm sorry you have so many issues, it must feel like the world is on your shoulders. I struggle with a few issues but you really made me feel humble.

I don't know if this makes you feel any better with your liver but at any one time only about 20 -25% of it is working to detox and produce - it can go down to 18% if required. It's an amazing organ and so long as your liver function tests are ok, you should be too. I had a had an operation last year where I had 9 X 8 cms removed and I was still on 3000mgs of tylenol a day after the op. A bit over half my liver and no problems. Before my op my LFTs went up to 400x the limit and I was taken off anything that might affect my liver at that point but put back on once the numbers dropped. 6 weeks after the op I had a CT scan and apart from the lovely 28cm scar and the clips in my liver, it was back to the same size. I do try not to take too much but I consider too much over 3000mgs a day - that said I don't take it everyday but it does help my pain (I think). A chat with your dr and liver function tests might be good though - and if tylenol doesn't help your pain, why should you have to take it? I'd explore other options too.

I hope you feel somewhat better tomorrow. Please take care and let us know how you feel.

Juliet

Old 04-16-2009, 06:29 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks. It does make me feel better that the Liver is a little more hardy then I. thought. The Tylenol is in the Percocet. The only reason I am taking it is because the Oxycodone has a nation wide shortage. So, he will have to give me something else if the shortage continues. I tried calling them this morning but their phones must still be down. I will just have to ride over which I really do not want to do. Thanks for your words of encouragement. I appreciate it.

Old 04-16-2009, 06:34 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

SpinalMalady HB UserSpinalMalady HB User

Hessie:

I'm so sorry you are feeling so poorly. I pray that you can have some brighter less pain free days ahead. You surely deserve some. I will definitely say some extra prayers for you that you can feel somewhat better soon!

12/10/04 MicroD & Hemi Lami 100% Success
09/05 Re-injured post Katrina
06-07 In Pain Mgmt. trying to deal
3/9/07 2 Level PLIF due to CES

Old 04-16-2009, 06:58 AM   #5
(female)

shananava HB User

Sorry everything is flaring at once. That really stinks when it happens. I am so happy today for a break from the rain. Dont know if I can make myself go outside and stay in but I am gonna try. Hope you can get some soon and enjoy it. Maybe that would make you feel better.
Has your dr suggested a low carb diet? Before my gastric bypass I had a fatty liver show up on my gall bladder ultrasound. That was what I had to do to shrink mind. I have done low card ( and should be now). The carb monster has been on my back BAD!
That does shrink it some though. If your doc isnt worried about it though....

I pray you will get some relief!
Hugs,
S

Old 04-16-2009, 09:37 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shananava View Post
Sorry everything is flaring at once. That really stinks when it happens. I am so happy today for a break from the rain. Dont know if I can make myself go outside and stay in but I am gonna try. Hope you can get some soon and enjoy it. Maybe that would make you feel better.
Has your dr suggested a low carb diet? Before my gastric bypass I had a fatty liver show up on my gall bladder ultrasound. That was what I had to do to shrink mind. I have done low card ( and should be now). The carb monster has been on my back BAD!
That does shrink it some though. If your doc isnt worried about it though....

I pray you will get some relief!
Hugs,
S
I actually had gastric bypass in 2002. Oddly enough after losing 165 pounds I was diagnosed with the Fatty Liver, Narcolepsy, and Obstructive Sleep Apnea (forgot to mention that in my list of ailments.

I also have a rough time with low carb diet but I try.

I finally reached the Dr. for a new prescription. I will wait for my visit in 2 weeks to discuss the horrible hip pain. Nothing will change in 2 weeks. The nurse wanted me to talk to him when I go in but I hate discussing things on the fly.

Thanks everyone for your responses.

Closed Thread