It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Pain Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2009, 08:58 PM   #1
(female)

happygirl440 HB User
Exclamation What can the Dr do next?

Hi,
My current spine issues are:
T8 chronic wedge deformities
T9 chronic wedge deformities
T 10 chronic wedge deformities
T-9 degenerative vacuum phenomenon
T1 Thur T 7osteophytes
T-3 disk bulge
T4-5 disk bulge
T-9 disk bulge

T2-3 disk herniation, disk degeneration
T4-5 disk herniation, disk degeneration
T7-8 disk herniation, disk degeneration
T9-10 disk herniation, disk degeneration
T10-11 disk herniation, disk degeneration

L1-2 disk herniation with caudal extrusion of approx 7mm
L2-3 disk herniation with cranial extrusin of approx 5-6mm
*also indentation on the ventral surface of the thecal sac
L3-4 narrowing of disk, disk herniation
L3-4 disk bulge with mild mass effect on the thecal sac
L4 impingement of the nerve root
L4-5 mild deffused disk bulge with minimal mass effect on the theco sac
L4 left hemilaminectomy defect

I also have:
Bilateral Carpal Tunnel
Myofasical
SCS IMPLANT '07
impingement on root nerve L4
Chronic Back Pain
Acute Bilateral Radiculopathy
Degenerative Disk Joint Disease
Spinal Stenosis
Post lumbar syndrome
lumbar spondylosis
Lumbar neuropathy
failed back surgery

seen a neurosurgeon and no surgery at this time.

So what is left for me?
I know I'll have pain the rest of my life.
I'm not looking for drugs I want relief.
Any suggestions?
I can not work.
Seeing a shrink as well.

Thanks, Cindy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-20-2009, 09:26 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

hessie28 HB Userhessie28 HB User
Re: What can the Dr do next?

I have alot of the same issues but not nearly as bad as you. I am in constant pain though. Unfortunately, the Dr. told me that all he can do is give me pain meds the rest of my life. Nothing left to do.

If you have not tried the epidurals and nerve blocks, that might be a good next step. They did not help me but some people get alot of relief from them.

I am also going for Aqua Therapy. When it runs out they still let me use the pool for $10.00 a visit. Being in the hot pool give you some relief for an hour or two a week. The Dr. doesn't think it will help the chronic pain but he wants me to do it to keep mobile. So I do it. Been doing it since October 2008. Since there is no gravity in the water I can do the exercises without problems. So, that might be a next step also.

I am just giving you info from things I have tried. So pain management might be your next step. Everyone is different.

Good luck with whatever you can do. Hope you get some relief.

Kathy

Old 04-21-2009, 02:29 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jema X HB User

Hi and welcome to the board. I'm sorry to hear of your troubles, it's not fair at all, cp never is. May I ask if you had shirmans disease? I have a lot of trouble with my T spine - it was apparently always a bit weak because of this but then I had a bad accident and herniated a couple of discs. I've had surgery on one but it's not fun and it didn't actually work (apart from stabilising my spine) because of the nerve damage, thoracic nerves a quite large and the surgeon could see that mine had been crushed. I feel so bad for you to have so many levels of trouble.

I do take medications and I don't work either. I tried not to take anything but I just couldn't live like that - hardly able to move, breathing trouble etc etc etc.

Ok, the non meds that help are aqua therapy - which I'm not good at keeping up with because I have really long hair. Walking relieves things somewhat - when walking is possible. Massage is great - but expensive. I also have nerve blocks and RFA for localised pain relief.

I hope you find something. j.

Old 04-21-2009, 03:23 PM   #4
(female)

happygirl440 HB User

Thanks for your replys, I have done physical therapy, aqua therapy, med therapy, never heard of shermans.... I've also done the epi's never blocks. I've had this problem for over 20 years now and I am just tired I guess of living every day in pain. I can not walk more than 20 feet.
Cindy

Old 04-21-2009, 04:01 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

BrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB UserBrittleBones HB User

Hello Cindy. All I can say is.....W O W!!! That is a phenomonal (sp?) list of conditions! First, I'm sorry to hear about what you have gone through. I'm not sure that I would be able to wake up everyday and face what you are facing. Have you had spinal surgeries? If so, what were they and have they helped? What is the quality of your life at this point? Are you able to get out and do things; see friends; go shopping, etc.? Could you share some of the ways that you cope with so many problems? All the best - BrittleBones

Old 04-21-2009, 05:38 PM   #6
(female)

happygirl440 HB User

it is hard to get out of bed eveyday,,it can take a good hour first.
i have applied for ssd and of course have been denied twice, still fighting and waiting on my hearing with the judge. it's been over two years waiting.

i do do mind mediation, take non narcitic meds,

i do try to be positive....

i had a back surgey in 98 which failed and in 07 got a scs implant.

my quality of life is poor, i am currently in vocational rehab. it's making me worse of course.

i seen a neww pry dr today and he is refering me to pain mgt...already been in that and to a new neurosurgeon...as i just moved to sc a few months ago.

i have a uti that i can not even feel....i am such a wreck.

i am just looking for other options.

Cindy

Old 04-21-2009, 09:25 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jema X HB User

Hey there,

I don't blame you for looking for other options, I just found that although the other 'options' help, I still need meds to function.

May I ask why you'd prefer OTC medications? No judgement here just curious.

Do you have trouble with breathing or chest pain? I find that this is the worst of my thoracic pain. Meditation as you do is great but sometimes when you're in pain it's hard to concentrate.

You have been through so much (still going) and you're still soldiering on. I think that's so admirable. On my bad days I just feel totally crap and it's hard to even get out of bed. It sounds like you have a lot of determination. I hope that the SSD stuff comes through soon.

Old 04-21-2009, 10:13 PM   #8
(female)

happygirl440 HB User

I do take Ultram, Flexeril and Nurionton (sp) but they are non narcotic
I have allergies to Percocert, codine and morphine

I have chest palpitaions and sob but I also have 2 valve leaks and an enlarged heart as well.

The worst part of the thoracic pain is when I use my arms too much
like cooking, doing dishes or even trying to read. Forget about trying to vaccum...lol!

Your right it is very hard to concertrate at times.

What I would not give to have a week free from any kind of pain.

Cindy

Old 04-22-2009, 03:02 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jema X HB User

If you find a way to have a week out - can you let me in on the secret

Old 04-22-2009, 03:59 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

tiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB User

Hi!

Have you ever considered seeing a massage therapist? I have CMP and massage is an essential part of my treatment. It sounds like your problems are spinal rather than muscle, but an MT could probably get you at least some temporary pain relief. If finances are an issue some of the schools that teach MT have public clinics where you see a student just about to graduate at a greatly reduced price.

Tigg.

Old 04-22-2009, 06:34 PM   #11
(female)

happygirl440 HB User

i was one of the few that massage therapy makes worse

Closed Thread