It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Pain Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2009, 06:34 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

emmie54 HB Useremmie54 HB User
First PM visit tomorrow

I have my first PM visit tomorrow. I hope I'm ready for whatever comes up. I have my MRI reports, Nerve Conduction/EMG test results, my prescription history for the last year from my pharmacy and I typed up a brief history of my foot problems/surgeries.

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. Have I forgotten anything? Should I bring my meds with me?

I'm a little apprehensive. I saw my surgeon last week and he ordered an MRI to check on the status of the foot since it's been a year since I've had one. I don't have the results yet. He is having me come in Thursday so we can go over the MRI and discuss the PM visit. He assures me that if I'm not happy we'll do something different or find another doctor. He wants to be informed of anything the PM doctor will have me do such as tests, rehab, etc. He is very caring and somewhat over-protective but I guess that's not a bad thing.

thanks again to all of you who have offered advice and encouragement.

emmie

Old 06-16-2009, 07:02 PM   #2
(male)

dmarcus48 HB User
Re: First PM visit tomorrow

Don't worry Emmie, it'll be fine. My MRI reports, my nerve tests, vascular studies, and bone scans show everything is NORMAL!!! Of course they don't explain why my feet swell or why I'm in constant pain. Just be honest with the doctor and everything will be OK. And he he/she doesn't work out there ARE other doctors.

And yes it might be a good idea to bring your meds with you. I'd only bring it up if he did though.

Dave

Last edited by dmarcus48; 06-16-2009 at 07:04 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-16-2009, 07:35 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User

I would take all of your meds with you but make sure you put them in a big glad zip lock bag or something. AND DON'T FORGET THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would write down any questions that you might want to ask the doctor. If you are wanting him to take over your meds then tell him that. If not then say that you are getting your meds from your other doctor and want to keep it that way whichever way is best for you.

I would ask what he going to do for you? what kind of treatments etc. you might want to take someone with you because sometimes they throw so much information at you and you can't take it all in? I blame it on the meds.

brian

Old 06-16-2009, 07:38 PM   #4
(male)

dmarcus48 HB User

That's a good point about taking someone with you. It is hard to remember everything.

Old 06-17-2009, 02:35 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Whew! I was worried for nothing! My visit went very well. He was very nice, reviewed my history with me, complimented me on the responsible way I have handled my meds so far (I was hoping the pharmacy records would show that!) and basically left my current plan in place. He just added Lyrica at night which I had stopped after my injections were successful for the nerve pain. He said that Lyrica has properties that help general pain as well as nerve pain, which I didn't know.

I only take Lortab 7.5 twice a day. He increased me to three a day if needed and said to use my discretion with the extra meds. If I don't need it on some days and need extra on others then that's okay. I didn't know I was going to have such flexibility so I am very happy about that.

I was surprised that they didn't do a blood test or UA. He said he would see me once a month until we "got to know each other" and made sure our plan is working then it would be every 3 months. Overall, I am very happy with the visit. I see my surgeon tomorrow for my MRI results and hopefully nothing has changed since my last one.

thanks again.

emmie

Old 06-17-2009, 03:10 PM   #6
(male)

dmarcus48 HB User

That's great emmie! The PM may do a UA at a future date, mine did. I had a bad reaction the lyrica it worked but made my ankles swell. But of course that's just me. Congrats!

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmie54 View Post
Whew! I was worried for nothing! My visit went very well. He was very nice, reviewed my history with me, complimented me on the responsible way I have handled my meds so far (I was hoping the pharmacy records would show that!) and basically left my current plan in place. He just added Lyrica at night which I had stopped after my injections were successful for the nerve pain. He said that Lyrica has properties that help general pain as well as nerve pain, which I didn't know.

I only take Lortab 7.5 twice a day. He increased me to three a day if needed and said to use my discretion with the extra meds. If I don't need it on some days and need extra on others then that's okay. I didn't know I was going to have such flexibility so I am very happy about that.

I was surprised that they didn't do a blood test or UA. He said he would see me once a month until we "got to know each other" and made sure our plan is working then it would be every 3 months. Overall, I am very happy with the visit. I see my surgeon tomorrow for my MRI results and hopefully nothing has changed since my last one.

thanks again.

emmie

Old 06-17-2009, 03:32 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Well - sweet sugary goodness!!! See there really are good Pm docs out there. That is really good he is having you use the Lyrica at night. I was taking 600mg/day and it was just too sedating so I cut it back to 450mg/night only and I still have problems sleeping, can you believe that?

brian

Old 06-18-2009, 05:29 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User

Emmie,
I have been following your posts & just wanted to say I'm happy you found a good PM. Its so important as this can dictate the quality of our life.
I worried sick about my first appointment with my PM & it went much the same as yours. Its such a load off to get that first PM appointment out of the way & better yet to discover you made a good choice when choosing a PM. Hoping your surgeon appointment goes just as good. god bless, Sammy

Old 06-18-2009, 06:12 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks everyone. My surgeon visit to get my MRI results was so-so. The MRI showed this:

Striking abnormal STIR hyperintensity throughout the extensor digitorum brevis muscle, suggestive of sequelae of neuropathy/ongoing atrophy (favored diagnosis) vs. myositis vs. strain.

Maybe someone can help me out with the medical terms.
My surgeon said that basically it just confirms what the nerve conduction study indicated. He is still apprehensive about a nerve release (as am I) as he is not comfortable with the probability of success.

So the game plan is to just keep on keeping on until/if something gets worse (as in pain or weakness) I'm okay with this. One day at a time!

Old 06-18-2009, 07:02 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

So let me get this straight you have only been taking Lortab 2/day for pain up until you see this PM doctor and then he adds Lyrica right? How are you doing with that? What dosage of the Lyrica does he have you at and is it helping? What level is your pain at right now (out of 10)? I am curious.

brian

Old 06-18-2009, 09:00 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Brian, I was taking 2 Lortab 7.5, one in the afternoon or early evening and one at night. The Lyrica (I was on 150 mg) gave me blurred vision so he wants me to take it just at night and start with 50mg only and see how the side effects are when I come back in one month. He upped the Lortab script to 3 a day but is letting me use my discretion as to whether I need it or not. My pain has been about a 1 or 2 in the mornings and by afternoon is 3-4 and (some) nights 5-6. Before I had the nerve block injections nights were more like a 7-8 with no exceptions. Now, it pretty much depends on what I have done during the day.

The Lortab brings it back down to a 1-2 and on bad days it only goes down to 3-4. Those days I rest it more and sometimes ice it or supplement with Advil (which I can't take much of due to stomach issues) The Lyrica really helps me sleep even though I know my dosage is low. The plan is to slowly add to the nightly dosage until the point where I have side effects then back down, if I understood him correctly.

Closed Thread