It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Pain Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2009, 06:48 PM   #1
(male)

tpgreen HB User
converting pain meds

I've got a 3 year history of chronic back pain in my thoracic spine. I've been on first the Duragesic patch 100 mcg every 48 hours, then I was switched to oxycontin which my dose was 40 mg 3 times daily. That dose seemed to be pretty good but I think I needed another one before bed since I got up so early for work (4am) and took my first dose. I wasn't comfortable with my dr so I never said anything. Anyway, here is my issue. I recentlty lost my job and have been put on 100 mg of methadone a day which I've been on for 4 months now. Before I lost my job I was using the Duragesic Patch 100 mcg every 48 hours and 120monthly 10mg oxycodone as needed for BTP which insurance covered. Since methadone is so cheap I decided to try it and continue to get the 120 10mg oxycodone monthly and 100 mg a day meth. I don't like the meth! The pain relieving effects are OK at best but I've gained 20 lbs, i'm constantly tired, and I get hot and sweaty a couple times a day, vert thirsty, my arm gets tingly and limp which i don't like, and it's hard to have SEX or atleast finish which sucks. I will say that I can see where methadone is beneficial as it lasts over 24 hours and its cheap. Now, at my next appt I want to convert to oxycontin time released or atleast discuss it. I personally have got superior pain relief from oxy and percocet as my BT med and it not even close. Way better that the patch. The patch also made me very tired, gave me a rash, and fell off numerous times while i was swimming. My question. What is going to be a good dose of oxy for me? What is the conversion? I'm worried it's going to be too low. I'm tolerant of opiates, and don't want to be in pain. Help if you know.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-23-2009, 07:47 PM   #2
(female)

New To CP HB User
Re: converting pain meds

Not sure what the dose will be, but your doctor should have an opiod/narcotic conversion chart to find the right dose for you. Also I know if you google 'opiod conversions' you can find online calculators that will also help you find a dose. Good luck

-An eye for and eye leaves the whole world blind.

Closed Thread