It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Pain Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2009, 07:20 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

allanbruce HB Userallanbruce HB Userallanbruce HB Userallanbruce HB User
Back to my new GP

I don't know who knows me here but some here may know that I have been trying to get the 48 Hr change over on my 100 m/g/h patch and that I went to a neurosurgeon for advice on my new neuropathy problems, but I will fill you in on where I am now.
I just got the report back from the surgeon that states that I should have realised that surgery for lower back pain is not advised. Also that she wants me to try rectally applied Voltaren instead of the Naprosyn. along with Hydro-therapy and facet ablation.
Firstly I can't afford the $2,500 for ablation, and until someone can get my pain onto a stable level were I can exercise I won't be doing that. The Voltaren I will try even if that is not pleasant, I have gone through enough problems at that end anyway. And the neuropathy, well no one seems to be able to help with that. Things have settled there a bit since I pretty much have stopped all activities that may cause any more horrific attacks.
So I am off to see the GP tomorrow arvo, and I have been really worried about getting the correct medication dose to settle things down enough to start any exercise program, at least that is where I will start out with her. I also need a script of valium to settle my legs twice a day when I lay down to get some sleep or rest.
I have sort of worked out why I get the leg pain when I lay down. I believe that when I am standing or sitting my back hurts that much that it over takes my legs so I don't feel it much. And when I lay down the back pain level settles down enough that I can feel the pain and spasms in my legs.
It is so hard trying to explain to doctors what I feel as anywhere below my waist is always in pain. When this started I could jut lay down to get relief but now it is non stop I only get pain relief when I am asleep.
Apart from when I do some guitar practice. Then I aggravate the pain I have had since I was 13, in my thoracic spine. That can be fixed though if I lay flat on the floor on my tummy, then someone can press on my spine working there way up past my shoulder blades, when it goes Crack++++Crack. I lay there a bit and that pain settles down. That is that burning pain.
Any how I have to get these patches worked out or I am going to loose it. All the GP has to do is ring and get the authorisation and things would be easier for me at least. I could lay off the other short term meds that only just get me through the third day. It is not like I just walked in off the street, I have been fighting this battle with pain now for about 7 years. I just feel like throttling or shaking one of them Help Me!!!!!!!!!!! Wish me luck.
Allan

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-01-2009, 02:56 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jema X HB User
Re: Back to my new GP

Hi Allan,

Good luck with your dr, please let us know how it goes. Hopefully she will see sense. It's not fair that you're in so much pain. I would definitley put yourself on the waiting list for the blocks at the public hospital so that you don't have to pay $2500, who can afford that. Try and book it as soon as possible because people are dropping their private insurance due to hard times and that may make waiting lists longer.

Perhaps it might be an idea to even suggest another LA medication that is in tablet form if they won't make your patch every 48hours - especially if you explain that come day 3 you can't do anything and you really need to keep active to help your pain. Drs know that inactive people feel pain more than active people so they don't want to hear that you're bed bound. Make sure you also explain that you need to help your father.

Surely this lady will help you, it's about time. Are you seeing the other surgeon? It sounds like another opinion is a good idea. Was she a public surgeon? Most neuro's operate both privately and publicly so it's worth paying the $100 or so to see them privately and then ask them to operate on you publicly. I've read your scan and there it's certainly damage there. If they cannot operate then they have to be prepared to manage your pain properly.

Good luck

Old 07-01-2009, 10:39 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Thank God, I finally Got an Authority for 100 patch every 48 hours!!!!!! I can't believe it, I'm still in shock. She even tried to get me 30 endone for the month for BT pain but they would not be in that. So she gave me a script for 20. I will hang on to that until I use the box that the surgeon gave me.
After all that I forgot to get valium and acimax (losac). So I will have to go back again tomorrow. She was very busy but she still was patient enough to go through it all and sort out another referal to an orthopaedic surgeon, the one that did the first MRI. He will see me in his private rooms I hope and I will see if there is anything that he might be able to do to help me. It will be another couple hundred dollars but I will get another $100 back from Medicare.
Thanks you guys for keeping me positive about getting the right medication eventually. My next hurdle is the surgeon, and seeing if I can get some procedure that will relieve me of more pain and nerve problems. I am sure there will be something he can do. I may have a wait in the public system but if I have the right Dr on my side it may help. But I don't want to get to worked up and then come down with a crash.
I am happy I feel that I have taken one step forward. But I am not sure what the feeling is like it has been a long road just to get this far. I hope the feeling stays on for a bit so I can get used to it. I have been so depressed for so long. It will make such a difference in my life, hay I might even get to go out one night, I better not get carried away to much. Thanks guys will talk again. Allan.

Old 07-01-2009, 11:18 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

I want to thank the people here at CP as this one area of the health Board is its own part of the community, even if I have another problem I find that the people I am getting to know here have a better understanding of how these other issues effect the Chronic Pain'er.
I have taken other issues elsewhere but then I have to get to know those members. Where as here I am know to an extent. So thanks to the CPer's for your support. I have talked on Neuropathy but I believe they don't seem to have the type that I have explained. Only one person there understood what my nerve pain is like. It was 10 and that pain to anyone here is bad, real bad. I had never felt pain like that before, so me getting my overall medication under control is very important to me, and doctors only give us limited time.
On this site I have time to think about my thoughts and time to read over the comments the people here give. I know I am not speaking to doctors but I get enough information then to give my doctor for him then to make the decisions. Allan

Old 07-02-2009, 01:01 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User

That is great to hear alan. I hope the 48 hour cycle helps you out better. Let us know how things go.

brian

Old 07-03-2009, 02:20 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jema X HB User

I'm so glad it worked out for you. I knew that we'd get there in the end. Everyone needs support and that's where these boards are great. Sometimes we just need another way to approach a problem...or to vent. I'm glad that it was good news this time

Old 07-03-2009, 05:39 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

I think I just caught the doctor on the right day as I have found most of them to be great and helpful one day and the next it is sign the form and see you latter. I do think I have found one of the better ones, for me that is so far. She seems to be on the same wave length as me or something, and she listens to my opinions and believes I am not putting it on. Thanks again for your help also. Allan

Closed Thread