It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Pain Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2009, 10:42 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

hessie28 HB Userhessie28 HB User
New Pain Med on the market.

Yesterday I went to the Dr. for my monthly pain visit. The Dr. said there is a new pain med just released this week. It is called NUCYNTA. It is a 50MG TABLET. I asked would the pharmacy have it yet and he said yes. But, with my luck, they did not have it. I use Walgreens. They didn't even have my Fentanly patch. So they ordered both and hopefully it will be here by Tuesday. So the Dr. was writing a Percocet prescription for me to pick up Friday to hold me over until the new stuff comes in. I don't know much about the meds. Need to look it up. Dr. said it may cost $50.00 per month.

Will update once I get started on them. All I know is the Dr. said not good if you are on anti-depressants. I'm not, so hopefully will be fine.

Anyone have any experience with the meds even though only out a very short time.

Last edited by hessie28; 07-02-2009 at 10:46 PM.

Old 07-05-2009, 01:21 PM   #2
(female)

daisy202911 HB User
Re: New Pain Med on the market.

I am in constant pain with fibro, ITP(blood doesn't clot well) and was also in a major car accident to boot. So I understand pain completely. Please keep me informed of your progress with the new med. I have tried everything that I can and no help so far.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-05-2009, 05:26 PM   #3
(male)

deviphish HB User

Hey hessie , I to live in NJ and I just started taking NUCYNTA.. So far it's working okay , I don;t think it's that powerfull of a pain med though.. I was on oxycodone 10/325 and my PM doctor asked me to give this new drug a try , thinks it will be beneficial for me..

GOOD LUCK and let me no what you think of nucynta after you take it , best wishes

Billy

Old 07-05-2009, 09:24 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

The active ingredient is Tapentadol.....It is being marketed as immediate release oral tablets of 50mg, 75mg, and 100mg under the brand name Nucynta®.

It is the first new drug of the centrally-acting analgesic class approved in the United States in more than 25 years. It is considered to have a potency between morphine and tramadol.

The original commercial release date for tapentadol was planned for March 2009; however, the placement of the compound in Schedule II interrupted commercial development. It was the manufacturer's intention to have tapentadol approved as a Schedule III compound, based upon limited preclinical data that show a reduced liability for abuse and tolerance compared with morphine.

In light of the current evaluation by US regulators on the prescription and use of opioid analgesics, it's not surprising that the drug debuted as a CII.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Ex

Old 07-06-2009, 01:38 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User

It is an opiod and also effects the neurotransmitters norepinepherine and also serotonin(I think). It is similar to Ultram(tramdol) in that it effects those neurotransmitters but of course much stronger opiod action. This is why they do not want to prescribe to anyone that takes antidepressants. Of course this was true for Ultram(tramadol) and they did put people on antidepressants(I was on one) along with it.

Please be extremely careful if you ever decide to go off of it since it does effect those neurotranmitters. The withdrawal will probably be twice as bad since it is an opiod and has neurotransmitter effects(similar to anti-depressant action). Let us know how it does. I posted on the Pain Management board about this drug and asked if anyone had tried it.

brian

Old 07-06-2009, 06:56 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks for the input everyone. I am hoping that Walgreens gets it in on Tuesday as promised. I just hope it helps. Right now the 50mg Fentanyl patch and the 10mg Percocet are not helping. They just take the edge off sometimes. It looks like it takes a different approach to stop the pain. The Dr. was so excited to tell me about it. I hope my insurance covers the entire amount. The Dr. said it may not. Things are already tight. I pay $3.00 for the Percocet generic. Even though that is a small amount, when things are tight they are tight. I'm sure a lot of people are in the same boat.

Will keep everyone updated.

Billy from N.J., let me know how the med is working for you. I would love to hear some feedback on it. Thanks.

On another note, I have had a charlie horse type of spasm in my right calf for over two days. Very painful. My Potassium, B12 and Iron are low but I have been taking it faithfully this week. I know low potassium can cause cramping. Who knows anymore. Hurts bad when I walk or stand. My knee keeps locking too. All in the right leg. Probably the meniscus.

Thanks again.

Kathy

Old 07-06-2009, 09:54 PM   #7
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hessie28 View Post
On another note, I have had a charlie horse type of spasm in my right calf for over two days. Very painful. My Potassium, B12 and Iron are low but I have been taking it faithfully this week. I know low potassium can cause cramping. Who knows anymore. Hurts bad when I walk or stand. My knee keeps locking too. All in the right leg. Probably the meniscus.
Have you tried eating bananas? They are loaded with potassium and great for cramping. Pregnant women will often get Potassium deficient and bananas are often prescribed. You can even put them next to your bed, or on your night stand and eat them right before bed, or when you get a cramp. It's amazing how well they work. One banana contains 450mg of Potassium, or 20% of one's daily recommended intake.

Supplements are good, but take a while to build up in your system. The problem with supplements overall is that they are "unnatural" to one's body....Meaning that they aren't easily absorbed...It's best if they "bind" to something, such as some food source. Natural food, of course, is the best source of minerals and vitamins because they are very easily absorbed in natural forms. However, supplementation is still good....But the key word is "supplementation"....Should be just that....A supplement and not the main source.

Hope your leg begins to feel better.

Regards,

Ex

Old 07-07-2009, 03:59 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

tiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB User

Hessie,

On the potassium - yogurt and tomatoes are also high in potassium. Not as high as banannas but still pretty good. We are starting to get locally grown tomatoes in my area, so if you like them it might be a good option for getting some extra, and yogurt's always easy to get. Hope the new med works for you.

Tigg.

Old 07-07-2009, 05:12 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jema X HB User

I'm with Ex and Tigger - Banana's were a master cure for me when I was running, they work very quickly. I hope you like them otherwise, as Tig suggested, there are other options too.

Good luck with the med, I can't wait to hear how it works

I really hope things settle down for you, you've had a really trying time. I hope you're getting enough help and support at home.

Old 07-07-2009, 05:38 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Toonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB User

I just got a script for this, too. My Walgreens didn't have it either, but they are going to order it. I'm concerned about the anti-depressant thing, though. I am already taking a relatively high dose of one that effects both serotonin and norepinephrine. I'm going to have to do some research before I actually take this. My doc said to wait a week until my surgical pain lessens and then substitute the Nucynta for my other IR oxycodone and see how it works. If it doesn't work, she said I could go back on the oxy, so no harm done.

Old 07-07-2009, 06:49 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonces1 View Post
I am already taking a relatively high dose of one that effects both serotonin and norepinephrine. I'm going to have to do some research before I actually take this. .
Does you doctor prescribe both the anti-depressant and the Nucynta? These 2 DO NOT MIX well at all. In fact from what I have read if you are taking an anti-depressant that you should not take Nucynta. You could experience SEROTONIN SYNDROM which is very serious and possibly deadly. Please do not take this and stick with the Oxycodone. It is not worth the risk.

Here is what I learned about Nucynta and anti-depressants

The development of a potentially life-threatening serotonin syndrome may occur with use of SNRI products, including NUCYNTA, particularly with concomitant use of serotonergic drugs such as SSRIs, SNRIs, TCAs, MAOIs and triptans, and with drugs which impair metabolism of serotonin (including MAOIs). Serotonin syndrome may include mental-status changes (eg, agitation, hallucinations, coma), autonomic instability (eg, tachycardia, labile blood pressure, hyperthermia), neuromuscular aberrations (eg, hyperreflexia, incoordination) and/or gastrointestinal symptoms (eg, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea).

Old 07-08-2009, 01:19 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Toonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB User

I have a psychiatrist that prescribes my SNRI. I will call her before I take the Nucynta and get her additional opinion. My PM didn't think it was too big a deal, since I had previously been taking tramadol for over a year without a problem. Thanks for the heads-up.

Old 07-11-2009, 12:11 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonces1 View Post
I have a psychiatrist that prescribes my SNRI. I will call her before I take the Nucynta and get her additional opinion. My PM didn't think it was too big a deal, since I had previously been taking tramadol for over a year without a problem. Thanks for the heads-up.
You should check out their website. Nucyntadotcom. It mentions the anti-depressant contradiction. I would not take both. It says you wait 10 days I think after stoping a MAO drug to start Nucynta. I would think the Dr. and pharmacy would catch the interaction.

On the Potassium. Mine is too low to get fixed with bananas. It's been dangerously low here and there. This time just under the low warning. I wish that would do the job. I hate those pills. You can't cut them. If you don't swallow the first time then it breaks up in your mouth. I have a hard time swallowing them. Disgusting. That is why I was not taking every day. Now I have been good.

I posted another thread about the Nucynta.

Thanks everyone for the responses.

Old 07-11-2009, 05:57 PM   #14
Inactive
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hessie28 View Post
On the Potassium. Mine is too low to get fixed with bananas. It's been dangerously low here and there. This time just under the low warning. I wish that would do the job. I hate those pills. You can't cut them. If you don't swallow the first time then it breaks up in your mouth. I have a hard time swallowing them. Disgusting. That is why I was not taking every day. Now I have been good.
If it's that low, then you'll need an multi approach. Pills have to bind to food to work and even then, they are only a "supplement." Daily recommended intake is 3500mg of Potassium. Baked potatoes are about 650mg, if you eat the skin. 8ozs of non fat yogurt are about 600mg. Half a cup of raisins are about 550mg. Bananas are probably the single biggest source of Potassium, oz for oz....About 450mg in just one banana....But due to small size of a banana, it packs a punch. It also kicks in very quick.

Best of luck to you.

Regards,

Ex

Old 07-12-2009, 06:48 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Executor View Post
If it's that low, then you'll need an multi approach. Pills have to bind to food to work and even then, they are only a "supplement." Daily recommended intake is 3500mg of Potassium. Baked potatoes are about 650mg, if you eat the skin. 8ozs of non fat yogurt are about 600mg. Half a cup of raisins are about 550mg. Bananas are probably the single biggest source of Potassium, oz for oz....About 450mg in just one banana....But due to small size of a banana, it packs a punch. It also kicks in very quick.

Best of luck to you.

Regards,

Ex
I had Gastric Bypass Surgery in 2002 and I have a hard time eating certain things. I love baked potatoes but can only eat a small amount. I hate the skin which they say is the most vitamins. Too picky. I've been on the Potassium pill since 2002. It is a big horse pill. You are not allowed to cut it. Guess it loses potentcy. If you don't swallow right away then it breaks up into tiny pieces in your mouth. Of course I have issues with that. Since I was little I had a hard time swallowing pills. Until they started coating Asprin, I use to disolve on a spoon with water. I was about 18 years old too. It is all in my head. I can't eat raisins either. They don't agree with my stomach. Also, the B12 is important. I think it does something with the nerves. The part of my intestines they bypassed is the part that processes B12. That is low too. I've been good taking everything. Like you say, getting it from food is best.

Thanks for input. It feels good to get advice when I need it.

Thanks again
Kathy

Last edited by hessie28; 07-12-2009 at 06:49 PM.

Closed Thread