It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Pain Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2009, 03:13 AM   #1
(male)

moovyz HB User
Opinions on the Tylenol with Oxy....

Does anyone out there think that Oxycodone WITH Tylenol works better than Oxy alone?

I take 40mg Oxycontin along with 10/325 Oxycodone (and I see that nearly everyone here takes something with tylenol for BT). But I see no improvement from the acetaminifin being added. And we all know what this stuff does to livers.

Anyone know why nearly all doctors insist on using this?

Old 09-22-2009, 02:18 PM   #2
(female)

ThreeBadDiscs HB User
Re: Opinions on the Tylenol with Oxy....

I think that the Tylenol does add SOME synergistic effect - maybe not a lot, but a little. What my doc does, and I'm glad he does, is Rx me plan Oxycodone 15mg for breakthrough, and then I can add Tylenol to it. I do not think that MORE Tylenol = BETTER relief. Therefore, if I were taking a combination pill I would not be able to control the amount of Tylenol I take as much as I do now. So now I take my Oxy, plus either 500 or 1,00 mg of Tylenol with it. I think it does work better than the Oxy alone. But, as we know is true for all people and all meds, they work differently for everyone. But I would say ON AVERAGE that yes, the combo products DO work better than plain narcotics - and I think the # of years the combo products have been around, as well as their astounding popularity, is a testament to this effectiveness. Have you tried the plain narcotic, or only the combo products (I mean for BT pain - the OxyContin is different, being a long-acting med)? If you have tried both and feel that the plain works better for you, then by all means, bring it up with your doctor and see what he/she says. I think most stick w/ the combo products because, again, ON AVERAGE, they do tend to provide a little bit more relief. Best of luck for pain-free days ahead!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-22-2009, 07:58 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User
Re: Opinions on the Tylenol with Oxy....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeBadDiscs View Post

I think that the Tylenol does add SOME synergistic effect - maybe not a lot, but a little.
Absolutely! In fact, the Tylenol adds more than "a little"....It actually helps with the pain fighting mechanism quite a bit. After all, that's why it's in the meds. There have been many a post here where people have switched from some level of Percs to Oxy IR and can tell a big difference. Once they add regular Tylenol back in (OTC), things return to normal. In short, adding Tylenol does help quite a bit.

However, the impact of long term daily use is a very legitimate issue as well. Given one's history and medical condition(s), there needs to be a balance between the two concepts....A "trade off" so to speak.

It's important to note that if one takes Oxy IR, you don't have to add OTC Tylenol to every dose, or even every day....One can titrate it based on the level of pain.

Regards,

Ex

Closed Thread