It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Pain Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2009, 04:26 AM   #1
(male)

moovyz HB User
My "cure" for the narcotic constipation issue...

Ok, short history.

Chronic IBS (irritable bowel sysndrome) nearly all my life. Gallbladder out 7 years ago which really messed with my bowel functions. Narcotic PM for the past 4 years. And even suffered a bout of Diverticulitis last fall. All of which reaked havoc with bowels. I tried the Metamucil (and many other mentioned therapies over the years)with lousy results. Always had a heavy feeling on any of the bulk laxatives or fiber liquids.

I now eat at least 20 Triscuits a day, about 2 boxes (small) a week. I have never been so regular in my life. So if your body can handle the sodium (I guess you could try low sodium but they're harder to get down...yuk) try this.
That part of my life is nearly normal! And I have a nice, fairly heathly snack toeat instead of fattening cookies or candies.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-22-2009, 10:06 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sage48 HB UserSage48 HB User
Re: My "cure" for the narcotic constipation issue...

Yes, I also noticed this result!!! But, I didn't even think of it for constipation!!!! I just like the crackers!!!!! Wonderful!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-29-2009, 08:16 PM   #3
(female)

kwmillie HB User

I am new here, but my "cure" for constipation due to all of my opiods is Activia yogurt! I eat 2 a day, and it keeps me regular. I also eat oatmeal in the morning religiously, and when I get a chance to go to the health food store, I get some Acidophilus and that really, really works also!

Old 10-03-2009, 12:02 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Frosty6 HB User

Wow, I really did not expect to find this here. I too have been suffering for so long now and it is far far worse since having my gallbladder removed August 14th. I alternate from being sick to nothing at all. I used to be constipated for a week and take Mirilax and it would resolve the problem. Now I will go for 2 weeks and nothing, nothing nothing. Mirilax for 4 days and nothing then a few days later I try the Mirilax yet again, along with Raisin Bran for breakfast and nothing. The bloating is miserable. So with that said, I love Triscuits and will give your method a try. I have mentioned it to my doctors but no one seems to care. They just think it is strange and tell me to take a laxative. One suggested a teaspoon of Mineral Oil every day but when I mentioned it to the pharmacist she said they should be the very last resort. I have a PLIF and my right leg and part of my buttocks are numb so I am starting to worry it is all related. However I also take Morphine Sulfate 30 mg x 2 and Perc 10 every day x 1 1/2. So I just don't know fully. It has certainly gotten far worse though. Thanks for sharing your solution!

Sincerely,
Lisa

Old 10-09-2009, 11:05 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

zoey1 HB User

Agree with kwmillie Activia helps me. I notice when i do not eat it. I do try to add bananas to help with taste as well as a few cherrios .

Last edited by zoey1; 10-09-2009 at 11:06 PM.

Old 10-17-2009, 02:21 PM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User

thank you so much for sharing this with us.
I have to say this based on my own experience: all depends only on each condition...
I tried Triscuets, Activia, very potent Probiotic from the fridge, tons of different stool softeners and laxatives, fiber and prune juice - nothing is working for me.
Metamucil was the worse experience for me although I know people who had good results with it.
Miralax worked for a short period of time, than stopped working as well.

Besides the fact that I am taking strong and a lot of opioids, my colon damaged after spinal fusion; I mean nerves which support normal bowel and bladder function are damaged. I don''t have any bowel function and have bladder problems as well.

I suffer so bad with this areas of my body not knowing what can I do. I even do colonic for myself on most days of the week. I know all this is bad for me; how can at least 16 different laxatives and softeners can be good for you every day to take? But I have NO choice at all.

My Gastro offered a bag, but I am only 54 - how dare can I do that? I know that soon I will have to agree b/c living the way I leave now, spending hours every day in the bathroom suffering and bleeding is not good either, but I am scared of another major surgery, I had 12 of different major once already and the last spinal fusion almost killed me: heart failure and pneumonia as a result 30 minutes after the surgery in a recovery room.

If anyone here has to deal with same thing every single day - please, talk to me! I need help knowing that nobody can help me unless I have bag surgery, but what if someone here may have something good to share with me?

All the best to you all, I hope tomorrow will be a better day to all of us!
Moldova

Old 12-11-2009, 06:24 PM   #7
(male)

moovyz HB User

The Activia worked well at keeping me regular. But I noticed that if I ate it all the time I got a lot of painful gas. That WAS before the bout of diverticulitis so it might have been irritating that. I might try it again. The Triscuits to give me a bit of gas but it's simply air... just need to make sure no one is around within hearing distance...lol.

Closed Thread