It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Pain Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2009, 07:02 PM   #1
(female)

Lizardwoman85 HB User
Unhappy Just looking for support

I've been dealing with chronic pain for several years now. My pain started when I was in high school and has continued to get considerably worse over the last few years. I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia about one year ago. Along with that I got a terrible infection in my hand that required hospitalization and two surgeries and I now have awful pain in that hand/fingers/wrist every day. I have a badly damaged ankle that is going to require surgery as well. I also deal with a variety of other health problems that just complicate things more.

I deal with this pain every single day. I don't even remember the last time I had a day without pain. I've been off and on prescription pain meds for months now. I find it hard to get through the day without some sort of pain medication.

I'm going to have to quit my job soon as it requires a lot of physical work. I pray I can find a less physical job, although I must say I never thought I'd be having to search for a less physical job in my twenties.

I do not consider myself religious, although I do believe I am spiritual. I am just looking for some way to cope with having my youth stripped away from me from chronic pain and health problems. It feels like I am now steadily getting worse every month and I'm terrified and depressed.

Any advice is greatly appreciated,
Liz

Old 09-30-2009, 08:58 AM   #2
(female)

judi AU HB User
Re: Just looking for support

hi liz it sounds as if you are considering going down the I just don't care anymore path.

Well guess what I care so You have to aswell.
Lets be honest when we pass on we are a long time gone so if we are in the land of the living be it with chronic pain or not we have to make the most of each and every day.

I have only recently joined this board and this is great to be able to read that all my thoughts have been going in the right direction but not necessarily in the right place in my heart.

So I am now a lot more open to the plights of other chronic pain people not just in my own little country but now in the rest of this board.

anyway we all deserve to just be and that is all we need to do all the best J.

Last edited by judi AU; 09-30-2009 at 08:59 AM. Reason: typos

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-30-2009, 05:46 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

If you are unable to work does your employer offer Short Term Disability (STD) and Long Term Disability (LTD)? I'm out now on STD and soon will transition to LTD.

Old 10-01-2009, 12:08 AM   #4
(male)

guy in AU HB User

Are you taing a regular, long acting analgesic to control your pain, or are you trying to be stromg, waiting till the pain is unbearable, and then taking somthing for it?

You will get far better relief of pain by taking somthing long acting twice a day, than by letting the pain get bad and then trying to supress it.

Think of pain like a fat fire in the kitchen - if you smother it right away, it isnt a big deal, but if you wait a couple of hours and see what happens, it will burn the house down.

The way to go would be have a long acting painkiller which you take every day
(LA Tramadol, Oxycontin, MS Contin etc, perhaps along with an antiinflamatory such as Naproxen or Celebrex), and a second drug which you can take "as neded" when the pain spikes.

If you arnt already on this sort of regimen, I would ask your doctor about it soonest.

Old 10-01-2009, 05:40 AM   #5
(female)

suncat HB Usersuncat HB User

Hi Liz,
I'm sorry you are in pain as I can relate. The first thing I would suggest is to make sure your doctor can support you should you decide to go on short or long term disability if you have insurance through your employer. There is also social security disability but it is a long arduous task to file and you have to have the support of your docs to back you up. Can you try part-time work first? Will you have medical insurance if you go part-time? Does your employer offer an EAP service so that you can get some counseling in helpiong you handle a chronic illness? Is there a fibromyalgia support group in the area? How about alternative therapy? Massage? Accupuncture? I also have fibromyalgia and chronic bladder/pelvic pain for the past six years so I'm on this road less traveled as well. Try to keep your mind busy by doing some of the things you love if you are able to. Do you have family members you can talk to that understand what you're going through? Have your tried pain management with a pain management physician? Sending healing thoughts your way.

Old 10-01-2009, 06:41 PM   #6
(female)

Lizardwoman85 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by suncat View Post
Hi Liz,
I'm sorry you are in pain as I can relate. The first thing I would suggest is to make sure your doctor can support you should you decide to go on short or long term disability if you have insurance through your employer. There is also social security disability but it is a long arduous task to file and you have to have the support of your docs to back you up. Can you try part-time work first? Will you have medical insurance if you go part-time? Does your employer offer an EAP service so that you can get some counseling in helpiong you handle a chronic illness? Is there a fibromyalgia support group in the area? How about alternative therapy? Massage? Accupuncture? I also have fibromyalgia and chronic bladder/pelvic pain for the past six years so I'm on this road less traveled as well. Try to keep your mind busy by doing some of the things you love if you are able to. Do you have family members you can talk to that understand what you're going through? Have your tried pain management with a pain management physician? Sending healing thoughts your way.
Hello Suncat,

First thank you for your kind thoughts, I very much appreciate it. I sadly do not have family that understands. I've tried explaining it, but usually am brushed off, I think mostly because I don't show my pain so they don't believe it is that bad I guess. I just hate showing weakness, but anyway, that's another subject entirely. I haven't found a Fibro support group locally yet, but I have been keeping my eyes open for one, I'd love to become a part of one. I do not have the option of disability through my work, I work for a small company and those aren't benefits I get. I really would like to try part time work, but I will in fact lose my health insurance if I do so. And with my current medical bills already stacked up, I can't afford to lose my health insurance. Can you define what EAP means? I'm not familiar with that. I actually have been thinking about trying acupuncture, have you tried that before? I've been looking to see how well it works for those with Fibro.

Your advice has been very helpful
Thank you and best wishes to you as well
Liz

Old 10-01-2009, 06:42 PM   #7
(female)

Lizardwoman85 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpineAZ View Post
If you are unable to work does your employer offer Short Term Disability (STD) and Long Term Disability (LTD)? I'm out now on STD and soon will transition to LTD.
Unfortunately my boss doesn't offer any form of Disability. I work for a small business and we don't have too many benefits. I'm thankful I even get medical insurance (I'd be tens of thousands in debt without it).

Old 10-02-2009, 05:14 AM   #8
(female)

Liz,
I know what you mean about not showing weakness, I'm the same way. Maybe it's a protective mechanism that is innate in all of us. EAP stands for Employee Assistance Program. It's a free benefit to employees through your employer and is always confidential. The EAP is staffed with professional counselors, social workers, psychologists, etc. to offer help to people with various problems - money issues, divorce, job difficulties, depression etc. You mentioned your company is small so not sure if they have that benefit for you but I would think they would.
Also, what pain medication do you take? You shouldn't have to live in pain. I've found that you really have to be your own health care advocate and take charge of your health. Hang in there

Renee

Old 10-02-2009, 08:10 AM   #9
(female)

Lizardwoman85 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by suncat View Post
Liz,
I know what you mean about not showing weakness, I'm the same way. Maybe it's a protective mechanism that is innate in all of us. EAP stands for Employee Assistance Program. It's a free benefit to employees through your employer and is always confidential. The EAP is staffed with professional counselors, social workers, psychologists, etc. to offer help to people with various problems - money issues, divorce, job difficulties, depression etc. You mentioned your company is small so not sure if they have that benefit for you but I would think they would.
Also, what pain medication do you take? You shouldn't have to live in pain. I've found that you really have to be your own health care advocate and take charge of your health. Hang in there

Renee
Hello Renee,

Thanks again for your helpful response. I asked my boss about the EAP and she said that is something she doesn't offer. Currently I've been taking Vicodin that I've kept stashed. I do not take it everyday, but I do take it often. I try to take Tylenol or Ibuprofen sometimes, but they tend to make me really sick if I take them too frequently. I've tried stuff like Meloxicam daily, which helps some, but not enough for me to invest money in it every month to be honest. I've also tried some of the new fibro drugs on the market and the side effects have been so bad and the relief not enough. I feel kind of like my doctor has given up on me with the fibro, but I've been through so many doctors it is frustrating. But anyway, I do know I need to be my own advocate and just push the doctors, I just get so anxious about it. I guess I need to get some courage together and just do it.

-Liz

Old 10-02-2009, 09:33 AM   #10
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

Unfortunately smaller employers who don't spend money on benefits such as STD and LTD are often unlikely to spend money for an EAP. You can just tell your employer that you want a list of all the benefits offered so you can be sure you have all the coverages you need (and then see if that shows an EAP) - if you'd rather not ask about an EAP directly.

Employers do have to pay a per employee/ per month fee for most EAP thus not each employer does so.

Old 10-02-2009, 06:05 PM   #11
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpineAZ View Post

You can just tell your employer that you want a list of all the benefits offered so you can be sure you have all the coverages you need (and then see if that shows an EAP) - if you'd rather not ask about an EAP directly.
Yes, this is the best way to inquire about a specific benefit.

Also, call me paranoid, but I'm not so sure I'd use a EAP if offered. I know it's supposed to be confidential, but I don't think much is anymore. I worked for a fortune 5 company....One that made a lot of money, and I mean a lot....Billions in profit....Billions! And, through HR friends, I know for a fact that they scanned the company rolls and matched health care costs (and individual issues) to employees. Not so coincidently, many of these people were mysteriously laid off or given a LOW....A lack of work package. And, most of these people were good, solid employees, some even were high performers.....But I think at some point, anyone can become a "cost" regardless of their contribution.

Unless I absolutely couldn't afford to do so, I would get counseling or assistance outside of the company.

Regards,

Ex

Last edited by Executor; 10-02-2009 at 06:06 PM.

Old 10-02-2009, 07:07 PM   #12
Facilitator
(female)

I do agree with Ex. I've also been wary of using any employer based EAP for the same reasons. I'd rather use county social services (or anything similar) if needed.

Old 10-03-2009, 07:56 PM   #13
(female)

Lizardwoman85 HB User

So I'm really struggling today, don't know if the weather changed or what but the pain has increased tenfold. I have already taken several Vicodin and still just miserable. I am to go in for my ankle surgery this week, so I'm going to try to hold out until after I have recovered from it a bit before I consult with my doctor again. I am definitely going to ask for a referral to a pain management doctor though. I definitely need something every day for pain. I think I've just been stuck in such denial about the chronic reality of my conditions. I keep thinking one of these days I'm going to wake up and the pain will be gone. I still try to keep thinking that, even though it is not a reality, it keeps me going.

Anyway, I just wanted to thank everyone who has commented so far and offered advice. It is nice hearing from people and getting such helpful advice on what to do.

-Liz

Old 10-03-2009, 08:54 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

hessie28 HB Userhessie28 HB User

Liz, so sorry you are in so much pain. A lot of us here can understand exactly what you are going through. I could not imagine being in so much pain while in school. That had to be hard. I actually had Narcolepsy my whole life but did not get diagnosed until about 40 years old. The pain is much worse. I just went through sleeping problems, concentration problems etc.

My pain started when I was in my 30's. Now I am 44. I think the same way you do. How do you get through it. I'm on pain meds daily. I take Oxycodone every 4 hrs. and use the Fentanyl patch. Still I am in pain everyday. It's not easy.

I dealt with the work thing too. I had the lumbar fusion etc. So I went on temporary disability. I never got better and knew I could not go to work. So in 6 months the Temp disability ended. I had to make a decision. So I put in for disability retirement. Two doctors had to certify I could not work anymore. At that time I also applied for Social Security Disability. I go to court the end of Oct. for that. I filed in 2007. It's not easy. I started working summers at age 13 and full time after high school. I worked at my job for 22 years. It was not easy to surrender to my medical problems and leave there. I left behind good friends and finally a decent salary.

You just have to keep pushing ahead and get through one day at a time. My son is what keeps me going. I keep pushing and pushing to make things look normal to him. I complain to my husband and son that I am in pain but I keep doing things to keep things normal. It's not easy but keeps me going. I drive him to school after lunch everyday. That makes me get up and showered and dressed.

I just had surgery on my knee two weeks ago. It's odd that my back pain was not that bad because all my pain was in my knee. Now that the knee feels better my back is bad again. Could be the weather.

I think checking out pain management is a good idea. I've done before and I am doing it again. It helps everyone differently.

I am also leary about talking to people at work. I actually went to my human resources person because they were trying to get me to walk down the block a few times a week to our sister office. I couldn't with the back pain. All Human Resources did was take their side and tell me they can make me work anywhere they want and they suggested I look into disability retirement. I didn't need that from them. So I would try to find somone on the side like at a hospital or county office. I would definately see someone.

Good luck with everything. I truly believe that if we keep looking that someday we will find someone to stop our pain.

Old 10-04-2009, 06:12 AM   #15
(female)

Liz,
Good luck with your ankle surgery. Make sure you tell the nurse in pre-op and the anesthesiologist/nurse anesthetist that you have fibro so you'll have adequate pain control post-op. I'm glad you are going to see a pain management physician.

Closed Thread