It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Pain Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2009, 01:22 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

hessie28 HB Userhessie28 HB User
Chronic Pain and High Blood Pressure

Years ago I had high blood pressure. Then I had Gastric Bypass and the blood pressure was normal thereafter. That was in 2002.

In 2006 I had my Lumbar Fusion etc. In 2007 the pain started and never stopped.

The past few months when I go to the Dr. or for the Epidural shots my blood pressure has been high. My pulse races alot too. I have a tiny hole between the upper chambers of my heart. It's a birth defect they found when I was 40. So I get and Echocardiogram every few years. I had one in July. My heart was beating so fast that they could not even see the hole. The left Ventricle was thickened. I also had my eyes checked. I also got glasses when I hit 40. It showed mild Retinopathy. The Eye Dr. said that was a sign of Hypertension/High Blood Pressure. He said don't worry about it but get checked every year. My Dr. said with all three of those results that we now have to treat the high blood pressure. So that means another pill to add to the list. She said to come back after my knee is healed and we will do what we need to.

I always thought being in constant pain raises the blood pressure. The pain looks like it is here forever. So I guess will have high blood pressure forever.

Just wondering if anyone has any knowledge of pain and high blood pressure.

Last edited by hessie28; 09-29-2009 at 01:24 AM. Reason: spelling error

Old 09-29-2009, 01:32 AM   #2
(male)

guy in AU HB User
Re: Chronic Pain and High Blood Pressure

Pain cause the blood pressure to go up, or, conversely, can cause it to come down ("shock" is mosly about the blood pressure falling too low)

You dont need to accept that you will always have high blood pressure and all that goes with it, a daily pill can, for the vast majority, lower their blood pressure to normal limits.

Can you remember what your BP was?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-29-2009, 04:12 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

tiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB User

Hessie,

I too have both high blood pressure and chronic pain. I have a very significant family history of heart disease so watching this has always been important. I think the BP problems are a large part of why my internist volunteered to take over my pain management. About two months prior to her doing so I was hospitalized for out of control BP and pulse - caused first by Cymbalta prescribed by a PM and then (as told to do by PM) stopping Cymbalta without tirating it down. I know while I was in the hospital both my internist and the cardiologist who consulted felt my pain was horribly undertreated and out of control and contributing to the problem.

I have not had any problems with the combination of taking pain meds and blood pressure meds. I also have high cholesterol, take a lot of allergy meds, and vitamin supplements for recently discovered deficiencies. With my family history I've got to really watch this and my internist feels the same.

I know it's no fun to have to add medications, but I've never had a problem between my opiate pain meds and my BP meds. Some of the anti-d's can cause a problem with some BP meds though, so make sure everybody has a complete list of everything you take.

Good Luck,

Tigg.

Old 09-29-2009, 07:57 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

one other thing that you should really have fully checked out here is your kidneys? the kidneys along with the sympathetic nervous system and the para symp system are what really govern your overall BPs. when pain is impacting our BPs it will generally go up approx about only ten millimeters of mercury. if you have a sustained high BP, there is usually an underlying reason for it, so the areas that could impact this should also be checked out fully just to rule in or out other contributors. just exactly where are you having pain and what does it feel like? its the release of what is called renin that actually regulates the main part of our BPs, and if something is impacting this in some way, it could not be releasing right. this can occur from the place where renin is released at the kidney and the adrenal gland that just sits atop the kidney. getting your kidney labs checked out along with just an ultrasound on them would show if there is something simply not right with them. the kidneys just very much DO effect BP and vice versa too. two of the indicators for any real underlying kidney disease are protien found in the urine,thats IS the earliest indicator, and then high sustained BPs too. vision can also become affected with this from uncontrolled high BP. i would just get this checked out thoroughly, espescially if you have been on any meds that contained tylenol for a good length of time(on a daily basis) and any other meds that are extensively metabolized within the kidneys too. hopefully this is not a problem, but it should be at the very least,tested and ruled out. just keep in mind that labs alone will only give part of the overall picture when it comes to any organ and disease. you just DO also need that 'look' inside at them as well to really know for certain. and also a UA just to check for that earliest indicator, protien.

that protien thing was actually found during a routine FD physical i had about ten years before i found out i even had any type of kidney disease i had been living with my whole life. it was not til our son got sick and he was found to have this type of kidney disease going on that i had to be tested and found out that i had it too, just did not have a clue. i was already 40 years old. you just never really know what is in your own body or actually going on either til you get that in depth testing done, espescially with scans. marcia

Closed Thread