It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Pain Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2009, 11:32 PM   #1
(male)

david1ray1 HB User
Question Max dose of METHADONE? 240mgs daily

Hi guys, This is my first post and am a tad nervous. I have chronic pain and have been taking Methadone for about 9 yrs now. Since I was 18 yrs old I have been in pain of one kind or another. At 18 I came down with Ulcerative Colitis and delt with that for many years and after each surgery my left leg started to hurt bad. After being on every pain med known I found a pain Dr. who wanted to try Methadone. Since I had no Lg. intestine many meds just went right thru me and did not work well. Methadone has worked wonderful for me and has kept me relatively pain free for years. Like I said I have been on Meth for years and have titrated up to a high dosage of 80 mgs 3 x's daily. After being at this dosage for the past 4-5 yrs it's gotten to the point where I may need to ask for an increase and I am worried about it for some reason. I know 240mgs daily is high but is anyone on anything close to this? If you are on methadone how long in between has it been since you've asked for an increase? I think being at this dosage for 5 yrs is pretty good. Any thoughts on this or any comments would be greatly appreciated. Thank You...DC

Old 03-21-2012, 07:13 AM   #2
(male)

Mikeh66 HB UserMikeh66 HB User
Re: Max dose of METHADONE? 240mgs daily

I don't know that I can be of any help to u, but u have helped me.

I probably have some sort of genetic disorder with my back. I had some pain as a teen and as the years went by it got worse every year. Anyhow, I went through a lot of various pain meds, pot and way too much alcohol.

A minor car accident (rear ended at a red light) put me over the edge and I have been on none stop pain meds for about 5 years and my current dosage is 3 10mg methadone tabs 3 times a day (90mgs/day). I know this will have to be increased as time goes by and you are the only person I have found to take as much as you do.

I just had a series of epidurals and the pain doctor stated that he can not help me and suggest surgery on the lumbar of my back. I have had two surgeries already and one problem is that I also have severe problems with my thoracic also. I don't want to go through another surgery so I thank God for the methadone. It gives me pain relief and allows me to function.

I fortunately have faith in God so he keeps me from feeling sorry for myself.

Best of luck to you and feel free to stay in touch.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-14-2012, 09:53 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Shoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB UserShoreline HB User
Re: Max dose of METHADONE? 240mgs daily

oops this was a post from 2009, ya might want to check the dates on some of these before resurecting an oldie

Hey Dave, I got up to 150 mgs a day before having my pump put in, I did OK at 120 mgs for a couple years but that last increase just pushed me over the edge side effect wise. Nodding out, just meth brain fog, no motivation or drive, gained weight and was exremely sedentary which led to a heart attack at 36. I have met people that take as much as 600 mgs of meth a day. Their really isn't a ceiling other than the side efects you can manage and are willing to except. For me an implanted pump was a new lease on life. I also spend less on the pump than I did on meth and methadone is cheap compared to all the other long acting meds. Pumps deliver meds directly to the spine and the convrsion from oral to intrathecal is anywhere from 100 to 300 times more potent delivered this way with less cognative and physical side effects.It might be time to look into doing a trial or contact medtronics to find a pump certified doc. Docs that aren't certified to implant, manage or do trials simply will never offer the option of a pump. their isnt much money to be made in pump management. my doc switched the refill duties over to a home health agency that comes every 3 months and refills it for about 80 bucks every 90 days. when i had plain medicare it only cost me 35 bucks every 90 days. Meth can't be delivered to the spine and you will experience some differential withdrawal switching away from meth but I went from homebound and sedentary to working out 5 days a week, lost 30 lbs and returned to work part time without loosing my SSD 9 years ago thanks to this technology. Good luck, Dave

Last edited by Shoreline; 04-14-2012 at 09:59 AM. Reason: old post

The Following User Says Thank You to Shoreline For This Useful Post:
Mikeh66 (04-15-2012)
Closed Thread