It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Pain Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2009, 02:55 PM   #1
(male)

comerset HB User
Should I up my BP meds on My Own?

Since Friday my blood pressure has been 210/189 or somewhere right around there due to chronic pain compounded with lack of pain meds.I have 50 mg. toprol and wonder if it's okay to just up the dose?
For the past 17 years I had been taking about 200 mg. per day of morphine sulfate ,I left pain clinic( I refused ketomine infusion and was thrown out of Balto.s most famous hospital's pain clinic) where those Rx's were dispensed w/ proviso that PC Dr. would write Rx until I could see new pain management Dr. My PC Dr. wanted a plan of treatment from new pain Dr. which he dragged his feet writing SO my PC Dr. said "I am not writing until I hear from new Dr. so go to the emergency room" which I did on Wednesday,was prescribed 10 2mg. hydromorpone which ran out by Friday.In the mean time I beseeched new pain Dr.'s office to send PC the letter detailing plan treatment which they did on Friday morning so I called PC office,verified letter was there and had been read and was again told "Go back to ER,I am not writing."
That eve I went back to ER and attending PA called my PC Dr. who told him "Oh,He could have come to my office today,we're open from 9-5."
ER Dr. read ME the riot act about drug seeking,being responsible for my own care and when I tried to explain he said "Nothing you have to say to me matters,here's 10 (5mg.) percocet,I hope you can make them last for 2 days until you go back to Pc Dr."
In the mean time my blood pressure keeps shooting through the roof...it's not like I am going BACK to the ER to be berated and embarrassed and it is not my fault that my PC Dr LIED.
Since Nov.9th I have been gone through withdrawl about 5 times and am doing so again.I only wonder if I can up the toprol so I do not have a stroke,which when I really think about it would be ironic after battling chronic pain for 35 years!Thank you very much!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-22-2009, 03:04 PM   #2
(female)

Citymouse411 HB User
Re: Should I up my BP meds on My Own?

I think that changing the dosage on your blood pressure meds is a dangerous move. If for some reason you took too much you could potentially drop your blood pressure too low. If I was in your situation, at a minimum, I might check with a pharmacist and see if he/she can tell you what they think.... I don't know if they can legally make a recommendation but it is better than nothing and they could give you a better, educated idea of what would be a reasonable increase.

Last edited by Citymouse411; 11-22-2009 at 03:04 PM.

Old 11-22-2009, 04:53 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Boxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB User

What a crappy situation to be in. I know we are supposed to be grateful for our health care but when things like this fall through the cracks it sucks. I hope your PCP will now write for you. As far as the blood pressure meds, could you call the doc on call or is that your PCP? Have you checked how high a dose your on and are there higher mgs prescribed? Could you go to a clinic instead of an ER? I am sorry and hope you can get your meds back.

Melissa

Old 11-26-2009, 09:53 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

nochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by comerset View Post
Since Nov.9th I have been gone through withdrawl about 5 times and am doing so again.I only wonder if I can up the toprol so I do not have a stroke,which when I really think about it would be ironic after battling chronic pain for 35 years!Thank you very much!
Hello and welcome to our board!. I wouldn't up my BP or any meds, it's dangerous.

I wonder how things going now with you?. 35years of chronic pain. Oh my dear lady. I've been suffering for 4 years chronic pain. It's one of the worst location for chronic pain...it's the NECK. Where is your pain located? please let me know.

P.S I think you are a very brave woman to handle 35 years of chronic pain.

Closed Thread