It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Pain Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2009, 04:29 PM   #1
(male)

haroldb HB User
Reiki Usage

I have heard that Reiki can be used for virtually any disease or condition. I have pain and depression. Also, my cat has arthritis. Can these conditions be helped? Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-02-2009, 08:00 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Boxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB User
Re: Reiki Usage

I think massage and energy work is a good option and wish all of us with pain issues could get some type of work depending on our issues. In my opinion and from my own oersonal experience, I like the types where there is touch. I am not a fan where they massage your "aura". Years ago before I had a lot of massages, I went to this guy who had crystals all over the place, under the table, everywhere. I layed on my stomach and waited. Finally I looked around and he was just waving his hands over my body and he told me he was massaging my aura. Well, my muscles needed it more than my aura!! I used to get deep tissue until I got sick, now I just get light touch.

Because of having lymph nodes removed in my neck, I began to get a back up of lymph fluid in my left arm and looked into lymphatic massage. It is supposed to be somewhat similiar to Reiki. There is light touch and energy work. I only had to have 4 sessions and it worked. Now I just get it when it swells back up and so far so good.

I would recommend researching first and make sure you go to a good therapist no matter what type you get. I would also talk with your doc to see of there is any kind of massage that you should avoid. I know for me some can be too painful.

As far as your cat goes, I have heard of massage for pets and if you can afford it, and the cat needs it, why not!

Melissa

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-03-2009, 10:35 AM   #3
(male)

haroldb HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxerluver View Post
I think massage and energy work is a good option and wish all of us with pain issues could get some type of work depending on our issues. In my opinion and from my own oersonal experience, I like the types where there is touch. I am not a fan where they massage your "aura". Years ago before I had a lot of massages, I went to this guy who had crystals all over the place, under the table, everywhere. I layed on my stomach and waited. Finally I looked around and he was just waving his hands over my body and he told me he was massaging my aura. Well, my muscles needed it more than my aura!! I used to get deep tissue until I got sick, now I just get light touch.

Because of having lymph nodes removed in my neck, I began to get a back up of lymph fluid in my left arm and looked into lymphatic massage. It is supposed to be somewhat similiar to Reiki. There is light touch and energy work. I only had to have 4 sessions and it worked. Now I just get it when it swells back up and so far so good.

I would recommend researching first and make sure you go to a good therapist no matter what type you get. I would also talk with your doc to see of there is any kind of massage that you should avoid. I know for me some can be too painful.

As far as your cat goes, I have heard of massage for pets and if you can afford it, and the cat needs it, why not!

Melissa

Old 12-03-2009, 10:36 AM   #4
(male)

haroldb HB User

Melissa,

Thank you for taking the time to provide a thorough response, and for sharing your experiences. Harold.

Old 12-04-2009, 05:07 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

tiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB User

Harold,

Massage can certainly help with pain. You didn't mention what type of pain problem you have, but most can be helped some with massage. Keep in mind that there are some situations where massage is NOT appropriate, such as cases where a person's spine is not stable and the area they want worked on is the back, or some post surgical situations until the incision is healed. There are many different types of massage and which is most appropriate for your condition can best be determined by the massage therapist. I've had Reiki done a couple of times, and although it was very relaxing, it didn't really do much for the pain. I have myofascial triggerpoints and get therapy specific for that. I would recommend checking for schools in your area that teach Massage Therapy. Many run public clinics where the students about to graduate do the massages. Even if the school does not have a clinic they can likely refer to you a therapist in your area. You could also check with local Chiropractors since, at least in this area, some have massage therapists who work in the same office. When you make the appointment be sure and ask if they do massage for treatment of pain, some places do more spa type work which is very relaxing and all, but doesn't meet the needs of most chronic pain paitients.

For you cat, you might want to check the public library for books on pet massage or accupressure, or if there is someone who does that in your area and money isn't an issue, it might help. If your cat has arthritis it might benefit from a "cat pad". It's a padded cat bed with special material in the middle that radiates body heat back to the cat, many of the big pet stores have them. Another alternative is one of those electric heated blankets set on the lowest setting (only when you're home), or even just an old towel folded up and put in front of a sunny window or by a floor heat register. Warmth is the key for an arthritic cat. You could also ask your vet about glucosamine, I know they give it to dogs, but not sure about cats.

Tigg.

Closed Thread