It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Pain Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2009, 03:39 PM   #1
(female)

snowgoer68 HB User
Rilistor-(Metylnaltrexone)

Has anyone ever used Relistor? Were you taught how do give yourself the sub-q injection? I hate drinking liquid senokot every three nights due to my opiates causing sever constipation. The peristalsis is shut right down. I am an above knee amputee, 2 catastrophic accidents at 13 and 15. 68 operations, 23 broken bones, over 1400 days in the hospital, 4 months in traction in the U of MI burn unit due to complete degloving injury from mid thigh to toes. I had three cross foot flap surgeries. My leg was then amputated 15 years late in 1996. I am now 41 have had severe excruciating phantom pain for 13 years. Anyone have luck with a spinal cord stimulator? Thanks so much
Staci

Old 12-16-2009, 04:16 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

nochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB User
Re: Rilistor-(Metylnaltrexone)

hello snowgoer68. Sory to hear about your situation. What type of opiates were you taking?. I'm taking Oxycontin and Percocet and don't have any side effects. Perhaps you can switch to a different type of narcotic pain medicine?.

As for spinal cord stimulator, never tried it but have heard from some people in this board that it helped them. For most of them anyway.

How were you injured like that if you don't mind me asking. I'm also injured badly in my neck for the rest of my life and suffer from severe chronic pain but it's controlled now.

I wish you a happy new year

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-16-2009, 07:45 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User
Re: Rilistor-(Metylnaltrexone)

Have you ever tried anything else besides the Senokot. I use Miralax which used to be a prescription but can be bought over the counter now and pretty much any grocery/drug store. If the regular dose is not enough, then taking 2 doses/day is fine. My doctor was the one to tell me about it and that using it twice/day is fine. Some people don't think that it is safe because it is chemically similar to anti-freeze but I have never had any problems and I highly doubt my PCP and gastroenterologist would recommend it if it has issues of safety. It has been around for a long time by prescription and then a couple of years ago went OTC.

The other choices are fiber supplements but I have tried them and not liked the taste/gritty factor and the gas it caused me.

brian

p.s. Has any of your doctors ever mentioned the pain pump/morphine pump as an alternative to help your pain instead of the spinal cord stimulator. With the amount of pain you are having and it's location, I highly doubt the SCS would benefit you very well. Please do some research on the pain pump.

Last edited by brianpain33; 12-16-2009 at 07:52 PM.

Closed Thread

Tags
phantom pain, relistior, spinal cord stimulator