It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Pain Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2009, 02:23 PM   #1
(female)

melissa1873 HB User
Chronic pain Question, new to this board

I'm 36 yo F...here is a list of what is going on and the duration...then I'll need your opinion.

I have Hashimotos (auto-immune thyroid condition) - it causes period/random neck and ear pain from swollen thyroid which I take Ultram for upon onset (as needed...which is usually 1-2 days a week.

I have moderate appearing bunions in both feet with extreme pain in them 50% of the time. One was surgically "fixed" but, although it looks better, it still hurts like mad and its been over a year.

I have hip bursitis which is 50 percent better after months of physical therapy but I still cant lay on my side without throbbing or jog or walk for long distances. (over a mile)

I have ankle tendonitis (chronic) which physical therapy made alot better while I was on the anti-inflammatory patches consistantly - then after 10 days away from PT it got bad again.

I have chronic neck pain.

While all my pain is from different sources...and I dont have a chronic pain condition like fibro-myalgia or however its spelled...do you all think it would be a good idea to ask to have the ultram for all of this and maybe get on a regimine instead of ultram as needed? My background is this: Chronic various pains from over-jogging when I was younger (too much working out probably) - taking tons of over the counter meds...with little help. Tried the PT and lifestyle changes and have a little bit of relief but need more. The pain isnt unbearable at any one location but put together and for such a long period of time, it takes an emotional and physical toll. I've never abused a drug (except coffee) in my life. My feeling is that it would be appropriate to be on an around the clock non-narcotic pain reliever...I would be happy with 1 ultram every 6 hours - What do you think? Are they gonna say go back to pt...or if walking hurts, stop walking, and go to a chiropractor (which I already do) etc?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-12-2009, 04:26 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User
Re: Chronic pain Question, new to this board

With all of the conditions you note I'd venture to say you do have a version of "chronic pain". Sometimes chronic pain can mean pain that is not there every second of every day but there is enough pain on a regular basis for it to be a chronic issue. So talking to your doctor about your overall health and pain concerns might lead to a better medication regimen.

Old 12-13-2009, 07:59 AM   #3
(female)

reallywant HB User

Do you see a pain management doctor specifically? I think that it sounds like you need pain management. I'm so sorry that you're dealing with all of this!

Old 12-13-2009, 08:40 AM   #4
(female)

melissa1873 HB User

Thanks. No pain management doctor right now but I'm seriously considering it. I have spent the better part of 5 years trying to get back to my healthy young self by way of eating correctly, not over-exersizing, stretching, PT, and bottom line is this is just something I'll have to deal with forever I'm sure. Im not sure what a pain management doc does...I've even considered a sports therapist...someone mentioned it on the board here for me.

Old 01-25-2010, 10:57 PM   #5
(female)

jubilee2278 HB User

It does sound like a pain management doctor may benefit you. YOu can probably ask your doctor if you feel comfortable enough. That may be the first avenue to explore. I'm very sorry you're going through this.
Kim

Old 01-26-2010, 03:37 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

allanbruce HB Userallanbruce HB Userallanbruce HB Userallanbruce HB User

Sounds like a pain management doctor would help a lot. I would consider a long acting ultram or Tramadol as it is called here. This was the first medication I took for my chronic pain and I was on that for about 5 years. But there are lots of other medications that can suite your needs. I imagine you would start on a low dose then titrate up to the level that is appropriate for your conditions.
This is just what I did but you need a doctors advise on that. There are some side effects that come with pain meds but there are lots of great experienced people here to help you if you so wish. I hope you find some relief from the pain you suffer. Allan

Closed Thread