It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Pain Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2009, 07:18 AM   #1
(female)

Nicole74 HB UserNicole74 HB User
Unsure about oxycontin..... Please help

I started Oxycontin about 1.5 months ago. The first month I was given 20mgs every 12 hours. The side effects included dizziness with some lightheadedness and lasted for 2 weeks. After the two weeks, there were no side effects. The 20mgs BID was not strong enough to bring my pain levels down.

The PM doctor then added another 20mgs and now I take the 20mgs every 8 hours. It's been a week and a half, but the side effects are so much worse. I'm very dizzy and when I get too hot, I almost pass out. I have a complete brain fog and I have a nagging headache. It also has increased the anxiety and I'm extremely anxious. I do not take any meds for anxiety. I've gone into two anxiety attacks now and I'm positive it's from the oxy. I have an ill feeling as well.

I'm wondering if I should call PM today and ask to go back down to 20mgs twice a day until the next appoinment next month. Or will these side effects subside like it did last time?

Last edited by Nicole74; 12-21-2009 at 07:35 AM.

Old 12-21-2009, 03:51 PM   #2
(male)

dmarcus48 HB User
Re: Unsure about oxycontin..... Please help

you should definitely call your PM and tell them. No question about it. I take a much higher dose than you do, but the only side effect i have is constipation. Call your doc.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-21-2009, 08:12 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicole74 View Post

The PM doctor then added another 20mgs and now I take the 20mgs every 8 hours. It's been a week and a half, but the side effects are so much worse. I'm very dizzy and when I get too hot, I almost pass out. I have a complete brain fog and I have a nagging headache. It also has increased the anxiety and I'm extremely anxious. I do not take any meds for anxiety. I've gone into two anxiety attacks now and I'm positive it's from the oxy. I have an ill feeling as well.
Sounds like the regimen is too strong for you. The nagging headache is a pretty routine sign that the meds are too strong. Ironic huh?

Also, it's possible that OC just isn't the right med for you. At the lower dose, it didn't address the pain, and at the higher dose, you're side effects get much worse. How is the pain, btw....On the higher dose....Any better?

The "anxiety" is definitely the OC. In some people, both hydrodcodone and oxycodone can activate the excitement pathways and thus, cause what you're experiencing.

Has your Doc talked to you about oral morphine such as Kadian, Avinza, or MsContin? It's a great med for pain and you don't get nearly the side effects that you're describing. In addition, it tends to be a bit more sedating than other pain meds, which for me is good. It ensures I get a good night's sleep. Oral morphine won't give you that "wired" or anxiety feeling.

I would definitely talk to your Doc and see what can be done. I hope you start to feel better.

Regards,

Ex

Old 12-21-2009, 11:30 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

brianpain33 HB Userbrianpain33 HB User

It sounds like Oxycontin is definitely not the right drug for you. You definitely might want to ask to try something else. There are several of the morphine based narcotic medications like Kadian or you could possibly even try the lowest dose of the fentanyl patch (12.5mcg). I don't know if that would be too strong for you or not. How long have you been taking pain medications?

brian

Old 12-22-2009, 03:48 AM   #5
(female)

The 20mgs TID is not really any better with the pain control. The doctor has not brought up the morphine medications. I'm a new patient and we just started off with the oxycontin. I've been taking percocet for a year and a half before adding the oxycontin.

Old 12-22-2009, 06:34 PM   #6
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicole74 View Post
The doctor has not brought up the morphine medications. I'm a new patient and we just started off with the oxycontin. I've been taking percocet for a year and a half before adding the oxycontin.
If you've been taking Percs for a while with any kind of success, I'm sure that's why the Doc started with OC. OC has the same active ingredient as Percs, or Oxycodone. The only difference is that OC is time released and the Percs are packaged with Tylenol.

Did you have the same type of side effects with the Percs? What strength of Percs were you on and how many per day?

Regards,

Ex

Old 12-23-2009, 05:28 AM   #7
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Executor View Post
If you've been taking Percs for a while with any kind of success, I'm sure that's why the Doc started with OC. OC has the same active ingredient as Percs, or Oxycodone. The only difference is that OC is time released and the Percs are packaged with Tylenol.

Did you have the same type of side effects with the Percs? What strength of Percs were you on and how many per day?

Regards,

Ex
I started out with 8 percocet a day, went down to 4 a day with first pain management. I had moderate spinal cord compression in my neck and my pain was 9/10 daily. PM finally let me have 5 percocets a day. I left there for not getting enough pain management and the PCP let me have up to 12 percocet in a day until I found a new pain management. By this time the percocet had stopped working and the new PM added oxycontin. I take 10mgs of percocet at a time along with the oxycontin.

I had minimal side effects with the percocet when first starting it, which was that warm fuzzy feeling and that only lasted about a week or so. I do remember about 3 years ago I was given oxycodone IR and I couldn't take it, it made me very sick and had to go back to the percocet. I wonder if it has to do with generic vs brand. I wish there was a generic oxycontin.

I can take the oxycontin 10mgs or the 20mgs twice a day, but nothing stonger then that. It doesn't help my pain that well, but it does take the edge off when I'm not having a flare up.

Closed Thread