It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Pain Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2010, 11:48 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

allanbruce HB Userallanbruce HB Userallanbruce HB Userallanbruce HB User
Has anyone used an inversion table?

I have had some limited success in the pool but as soon as I get out the pain comes back. Also our pool is not heated and will be no good in winter. So I thought this may give me some relief from lower back pain and possibly other benefits. Has anyone else tried one? I can get a good one for about $170 Australian dollars. The other thing I saw while doing some research was a new procedure called X stop. Has anyone had that done? It may be introduced here soon if it is successful elsewhere. Some feedback would be great. Allan

Old 01-15-2010, 03:48 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

tiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB Usertiggertoo2174 HB User
Re: Has anyone used an inversion table?

Alllan,

We have an inversion table and it helps a great deal with my lower back problem. It takes the pressure off and can help encourage disks to go back in place if they are out. For me, it helps keep my hip in the proper position, or will allow it to slide back where it belongs if it's out. It also provides sort of a gentle stretch of the muscles in your back, which helps somewhat at keeping them from being constantly knotted up and causing more pain.

I know you have serious spinal problems so you should probably clear it with your Dr. first, but I can say it worked well for me.

Tigg.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-15-2010, 03:59 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Thanks Tigg I am sure it would help I don't know about going 180 degree's but even if I worked my way up or should I say down slowly. I enjoy some time in the pool but I think this would go that bit further and if it gives some lasting relief I would be wrapped. Anyone else use one? Allan

Old 02-22-2010, 10:15 AM   #4
(female)

stertaz HB User

I had an inversion table and it felt WONDERFUL while I was in it... but when I flipped back upright, and tried to get out of it, my back would seize up and lots of sharp stabbing pain. Not a good trade off. I have degenerative disc disease, and am bone on bone at L5/S1, along with stinosis and arthritis... so it could have just been my situation.

Good luck if you try it..

Old 02-22-2010, 09:44 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

I find that I have to lay flat on it for a bit before I get off and then I lay on the bed for a while afterwards. Allan.

Old 02-24-2010, 06:41 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

ozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB User

I've considered getting an inversion table, so it's good to see someone who has one & can give some input.

I would deffinately clear this with your doctor as suggested already by someone else because not all spinal issues will allow for use of this device.

Now that I see someone has had a good experience with it, I'm going to talk to my doctor about it. If it works great, if not, then it's not like I've wasted thousands of dollars!

Thanks for brining this topic up. Take care, and I hope you are having a pain-free day.

PS- I have a pool too, and it does help, but like you said, it's only useful in the summer..

Old 02-24-2010, 03:54 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

nscrbug HB User

I've been using an inversion table daily for over 3 years now. I have grade 2 spondylolisthesis at L5/S1, along with DDD (bone on bone, no disc left at all) and prior to using the table, had severe stenosis which caused horrific sciatica in my right leg. I saw a neurosurgeon who ordered 6 weeks of physical therapy which did absolutely nothing for me. His next option was epidural injections, and at that point I decided to try the inversion table on my own. I bought a floor model Teeter Hangups from a local fitness equipment retailer. Started using it the next day, every day...and within 3 months, my sciatica was completely gone. I still use the table every day just because the decompression of my spine feels so good. At this point, I have "graduated" to inverting completely without any problems. But before I get fully upright again, I do take it gradually, hovering in the flat position for a few seconds before gently coming up all the way up.

It's not for everyone, especially those that have issues with blood rushing to your head....so check with your doctor first.

Old 02-24-2010, 05:58 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

I understand completely. This does seem to help that bit like all or the things I do like swimming it all adds up and helps me enough that if I don't use it, I do notice the pain more. I am happy for you that after 3 months it has done so much for you. I don't know if it will help me that much but I'm trying every thing I can before surgery in November. I wish I could get to the stage were I could cancel the surgery but I don't think that it will make that much difference but I'll try. I wish you continued success. I will try to use it every day now that I have heard someone is getting significant results. Try anything once,

Old 02-24-2010, 09:44 PM   #9
(male)

Myofascial Pain HB UserMyofascial Pain HB User
Lightbulb Re: Has anyone used an inversion table?

Personally I use the Brookstone Back Stretcher & Ab Trainer.

It's more stable than an exercise ball and really works your abdominals which in turn takes weight off your back... though I use the exercise ball for traveling.

Swimming has to be the best exercise because flotation takes a lot of weight/stress off your back... mind you I'm not talking about 100m backstroke. Sadly my new apartment complex doesn't have an indoor pool for winter

Also I found that I can ski as long as I avoid moguls and crashing... usually my legs will tire before my back does and again you don't have the impact of walking or running. And I get to sit between runs on the chair lift and enjoy the scenery.

Good endorphins from the snow covered mountains, as anyone watching the Olympics may have experienced (on a lesser degree than the actuality of seeing the beauty of the mountains in person). Being able to adjust your perspective and take as much time and what ever you decide interests you, instead of the cameramen, breathing in the fresh air away from all the city smog... the whole experience.. Great Endorphins!

Elliptical machines are also good if you want the aerobics of walking without the impact, but hard if standing for long periods increases your pain.

You can also look into recumbent bicycle exercisers. Basically you are laying back and pedaling. Now pedaling will impact your lower back as your quadriceps origin at your lower back, but for me cycling is helping. I just have to pace myself and start off slow and short and work my way up to longer times... but if you think about it pedaling is very similar to knee to chest stretches...

Closed Thread