It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Pain Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2010, 01:01 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

zoey1 HB User
Trying times: loss of insurance/job concerns, death in the family

Well we made it through the holidays and right before Christmas we had a death in the family. My husbands mother died in a routine surgical procedure it was an unexpected loss.During that time had a bad flare up and was able to get an emergency appointment in with N urologist to handle the bad flare up.
Week after the holidays my husband lost his job and according to cnn jobs report 477,000 others lost their jobs that week as well.
We took steps to get to both of our docs, get all our labs in. Get a 3 month supply of all our meds as well as eye glasses and dentist in before insurance went away. I saw my neurologist yesterday to handle pain/ rash flare up. He told me he would work out cash payment untill we land back on our feet. Was very grateful.
We took steps last fall to including paying off all our debt, and only having house and car payment as well as utilities and built savings back up.
Luckily my team of docs will work with me if i have bad flare ups.
So as we go through this time of uncertainty and NO insurance, please keep our family in your good thoughts and prayers. For now we have what we need and if any luck we will land back on our feet soon.
Given the steps we took to pay off bills debt, we can make due on lots less. A good thing in this current economy.

Old 01-22-2010, 03:04 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

allanbruce HB Userallanbruce HB Userallanbruce HB Userallanbruce HB User
Re: Trying times loss of insurance/job conserned, death in the family

Sorry to here you are in hard times. I hope you can get back into the flow soon and have the treatment you need. Good luck. Allan

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-22-2010, 05:17 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User

That was smart as at least you have just the basics due. Some would say sit on your money but credit does matter.
Bless your doctors, I pray most are working with their patients. A death on top of all of this is awful & I will send out a prayer for you & yours.
So many are in your shoes, us included. Im trying to contribute but it gets more & more difficult. I pray something comes along for my husband even if its short term, we may have some luck soon. I think my PM is working with people but then again people have been loosing jobs left & right here foir several yrs. & he may be tapped out, not sure but he has expressed his concerns about lose of my insurance, our cobra expires soon. Hopefully something will happen before then. I pray you dont have any long wait till something comes along to get you back on your feet. My heart goes out to you.
God bless, Sammy

Old 01-22-2010, 03:13 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

If the insurance ended due to his job termination he should have been eligible for COBRA and the current reduced COBRA payment program. With this reduced COBRA payment program the premiums are now very affordable, compared to not subsidized COBRA.

Old 01-23-2010, 08:11 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User

Yes this kicked in while we were paying our cobra, what a blessing. It made insurance much more affordable & worth looking into. I believe there is a time frame you can opt to pick up cobra but you'll need to pay back to the time of layoff. Ours is about to expire & by the grace of god my husband should be going back to work, not positive yet still waiting for definate start date. We would be broke trying to pay for insurance out of pocket with no job. Its still costly through the employer, actually more then the cobra we were paying but at least there will be a job to pay for it.

I thought about mentioning this after I logged off, so thanks SpineAZ, theres also home modification loans if you qualify. Well worth looking into. Hard times for many & although I know it does not make it any easier there are so many others in the same boat. I pray something comes along for those in need. Sammy

Closed Thread