It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Pain Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2010, 07:42 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

nochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB User
Valium (diazepam) causing problems - Why?

Hello again. I'm trying to save on cost and so asked my doctor to add diazepam(valium)for help. My doctor thought it will help me and it's also cheap. That's why I asked him to add it.

I'm on 10 mg of diazepam(valium). It's causing me problems. Why is that?. It DOES help the neck pain but I feel dizzy, very tired and eventhough I'm feeling tired I can't sleep. It bothers my sleep BIG TIME. It suppose to help with sleep my doctor told me, so why doesn't it help me?. what's wrong with me.

The problem didn't stop when I cut the pill to half. I still felt dizzy, tired memory problem(like dementia, pretty crazy).

I thought of not taking it for couple of days and then try again but I think this medication is not good for me. how is that possible?. I need to go back to my doctor and tell him that. He once told me nobody had any problems with this medication.

Is there anyone in this forum who also had problem with valium(diazepam)?

I appreciate your help in advance thank you.

Last edited by nochange; 01-31-2010 at 07:46 AM.

Old 01-31-2010, 09:11 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
Re: Valium (diazepam) causing problems - Why?

honestly? for someone who has not been ever actually using valium to even be given the 10 mgs to start is a bit over the top in my book just knowing my response to the valium when i started it? i think even with halving it, you are still possibly getting too much too soon here? as an example? when i started it, i was given two 5 mg pills that i split on my own so i could take the halves thru out the day just to try and keep my very real nasty spasticity more in check? and it worked at ONLY 2.5 mgs at a time? do ya see here the real difference in just how big any persons starting does realistically 'should have' been NC?

seriously hon, for your doc to EVEN start you on THAT much valium was kind of a no no for alot of reasons unless you have taken it before in a more consistant way? this could possibly be helped by REALLY breaking it down til you can get a different dosage amount from your doc(like the 5mg pills that you can split down to 2.5)? its just the 'kind of standard' with the valium and what it does it should always be started at like between the 2.5- 5mg amount just becuase of alot of possible problems that can be there like you are having or even a person ODing depending upon how they are taking it and any other meds you also may be on too kind of thing? you were just started in my personal opinion here WAY too high if you had never taken it before on a regular basis. that much would have knocked ME on my butt all at one time even right now?

if you still want to try this i would seriously get this down to as small increments as possible using the old pill splitter(i would halve the 10 then quarter each half?) at this point and try and see what works best for you but doing it with a little at a time? you can always add if it does not work but you cannot take it out once you took it unless you want to make yourself throw up kind of thing? just EXACTLY how have you BEEN taking this at this point? only at bed time or thru out your day too? that too plays a big part in overall reaction too. i think what you could be feeling is the overall impact of just having had wayyy too much valium ingested and things will kind of slowly have to get back to normal with a bit of time? just my thoughts knowing how this med impacts me. but i do think your doc just went wayy too over the top considering, with ten whole MGS of this stuff? that just IS one heck of alot of valium at one time when you have never taken it even? its too much for ME and i have been on this now for at least three years now at the dose i mentioned above? hopefully if this does work, you can come up with a better revised plan here, just seriously do NOT take over 5mgs at any point at a time hon, really. knowing exactly how you are taking this as i asked above would really help here. and how were you taking it at the very beginning too? just be very careful with this stuff. marcia

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-31-2010, 01:18 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

janiee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB User

I was wondering about how old of a person you might be? I know it can be quite a personal question for some people, so you don't have to say, or maybe just don't be exact. This is my point; sometimes, when people get older, like over 60 (for example) a medication that should normally sedate you like Benedryl or Valium for example, will instead react the opposite and keep you up all night or just plain make you feel hyper. This could be what's going.__ Janiee

Old 01-31-2010, 10:51 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nochange View Post
I'm on 10 mg of diazepam(valium). It's causing me problems. Why is that?.

It suppose to help with sleep my doctor told me, so why doesn't it help me?. what's wrong with me?

He once told me nobody had any problems with this medication.
I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble. First of all, you should know that everyone is different. For anyone to say, much less a Doc, that no one has any issues with this med, is completely false. Meds like Valium are very volatile and can present issues for many people. What works in one person, may not another and vice versa. Please trust me when I say you are not alone in this.

Furthermore, Marcia is right in that you were given a huge dose...Much more than is recommended initially. Even when you cut the pill in half, that is far too much. Many people start out on much less.

Secondly, Janiee is right in that in some people, meds can have what is called a "paradoxical" effect...Or opposite of what is intended. For example, she's right in that in some people, Benadryl is very sedating while in others, it wires them up. One's age is really of no issue in this....It can happen to anyone.

The best example of the paradoxical effect are those with ADHD....They are give amphetamines, or stimulants, to calm them down. Who would have thought? To me, this is just amazing.

If it were me, I'd go back and just be honest and tell the Doc that not only is the med not working, but it could be making things worse. There are many other meds in the same class as Valium that he can try. Don't give up...Your Doc has many more options at his disposal.

Best of luck to you.

Regards,

Ex

Old 02-01-2010, 03:19 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

nochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB User

Thank you all so so much.

Old 02-01-2010, 05:51 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User

I wanted to add I could only take 5mg for the longest time at bedtime or I felt more sedated then I care for. Ex is correct, as Im am ADHD & up to a few yrs ago many meds that would knock someone out cold would have me doing the opposite. Although it runs in the family one of the ways my doctor diagnosed me was watching the way I responded to the medication for ADHD. Although as I get older for some reason I react the norm to most meds. No clue why as I know you sure dont out grow ADHD.

In some ways I like the valium for a muscle relaxer but my ortho claimed it was a wimp when used for this purpose. Perhaps thats why your PM gave you a larger dose. Still I dont think its wise for anyone to start out on a large dose of any new med. I would do as Marcia suggested & qaurter it. Im curious to see how you do. I know alot of doctors worry about addiction to this med to, but I can take it as needed with no problems. Im sure theres good cause for worry but never has been an issue with me. Im very careful with this med & take it when I feel my muscles are not going to give me a break. If you start on a qaurter you can always increase to half if need be in the future. It may not be a med that you will tolerate well. That was a strange comment to come out of a doctors mouth, no offense, but people react different to meds & no one med is for everyone. I like the fact I can cut the dose & thats not wise for all meds but this one its perfectly safe.

Good luck & let us know how it works out for you. Sammy

Old 02-02-2010, 11:30 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks again Sammy and to all of you. I've started my day quartering the 10mg diazepam so I didn't feel so dizzy, perhaps a bit tired but that's all, not too bad.
Then at 1:00pm took My 40mg Oxycontin. I thought about taking diazepam instead of gabapentin for a change. but not sure now. Trying to save money but not sure anymore.

I believe my doctor is a really good doctor. He cares and knows what it means to actually live with chronic pain. I've been to many doctors but this one is different. He just doesn't understand why I suffer so much from this whiplash I had 4 years ago and it never gets any better. He said He've seen lot's of patients for decades he's practicing medicine but nobody needed narcotic for their neck pain after a whiplash and all of them are sleeping fine. He said whiplash is very common, and he saw lot's of patients getting better, just not me.

He thought 5mg won't be enough for the pain I have and therefore said 10mg is better for me. Well, when I get back to him I will tell him. I will still keep taking diazepam when I need. it's not too bad 2.5mg. Is it better to take it at night time? this I forgot to ask him.

Medication, medication, medication. I have this dream of one day being normal again.

Old 02-02-2010, 11:23 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

janiee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB User

I would ask your dr. first, but it would make sense to me to take it before bedtime since this is when you are having problems with neck pain and sleeping right? Also, I would NEVER take this medication and drive. Maybe Ex can chime in more about that as I am not sure if you build a tolerance to this? But as for me, personally; I wouldn't take it during the day and or drive. I do know never to stop this medication abruptly as it can give you withdrawals and seizures. Especially if you are taking high doses for a long time. Hope this helps....Janiee

Old 02-06-2010, 09:16 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

yes you CAN develop a tolerance to valium, i just had to have one 5 mg pill added because of that and an increase in my night time spasticity too? that was the same exact question i asked my doc about tolerance to this stuff. so i now ONLY take my 5 mg at bed time and never during the day. but i do take the 2.5 and i have no real problems with it,but i have also been on it for like three years now too.

NC, it really is NOT so much about what your doc actually 'thinks" you 'should have" but how YOU yourself realistcally will respond TO any med that kind of dictates whether you should go down. if it 'feels' to YOU like too much, then it probably is. meds are just NOT an exacting science when it comes to individual physiology and also any other meds we take that CAN add CNS effects when taken together like oxy and valium can too? i also take oxycontin as well as the valium.

the one thing i just wanted to mention to you about 'whiplash' or any other actual 'label' of any real condition? its kind of an all encompasing term that does NOT tell you or your doc just how much true real damage or injury could have occured, ya know what i mean? what do your MRIs state about how your c spine actually is/was at the time of injury and what symptoms are you displaying because of it? THOSE two things say more than any real 'label possibly can. so go with what is stated you have and what YOU are feeling here and not so much the label that really at times minimizes the true level of the impact it causes.

i am glad you are getting some good relief witht he 2.5 like i did(honestly, for some of us it really does NOT take much for good impact for us). i just was a bit shocked that even tho you are suffering with that much pain, he still should have given you instructions to at least START out on the 5 or even the 2.5 just to see FIRST how YOU would respond to it, ya know what imean? it just was a bit high for a newbie with valium. i do hope you get some relief here soon. were there ANY real solid findings in your MRI after the whiplash inducing incident? how did you actually suffer the whiplash? it just can be brought on by many different things besides car accidents. i suffered it as a teenager on a freaking fair carnival ride called the 'spider' for gods sake. strange. we don't "do" that anymore, lol. marcia

Old 02-06-2010, 09:47 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

allanbruce HB Userallanbruce HB Userallanbruce HB Userallanbruce HB User

Personally I don't have any problems with Valium I suppose because I usually only take it at night, mostly get by with 5 or 10 mg and if I take it during the day it is only because I am -One. in a lot of pain and or can't settle. -Two. laying down and will not be going anywhere and -Three. nothing else is working. (as in Paracetamol then I will try the valium and then I will have an endone (5mg) or two depending how bad things are.
I usually will go to sleep for an hour or two then wake up feeling rested and in a lot less pain. (Usually that is) Not always. Sometimes nothing seems to help and I won't get to sleep. If I do I sometimes have bad dreams and even wake feeling like I was conscious to the pain while sleeping. This is not very nice.
My trouble is I do a job on my boat or car, sometimes if I help another disabled family member. a day or two latter I pay for it with extremely bud symptoms. But I don't like to mention it as they will not let me help them again and that sometimes is all that keeps me alive (doing something to help another disabled person).
Allan

Old 02-06-2010, 01:55 PM   #11
Inactive
(male)

Executor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB UserExecutor HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by janiee08 View Post
I would ask your dr. first, but it would make sense to me to take it before bedtime since this is when you are having problems with neck pain and sleeping right? Also, I would NEVER take this medication and drive. Maybe Ex can chime in more about that as I am not sure if you build a tolerance to this? But as for me, personally; I wouldn't take it during the day and or drive. I do know never to stop this medication abruptly as it can give you withdrawals and seizures. Especially if you are taking high doses for a long time. Hope this helps....Janiee
Janiee is correct in that you should be very careful before taking this med (and your OC) and driving. Both are a disqualifer from driving...i.e you can get a DUI. This isn't unique to you of course, but important for all PMers to remember.

Yes, Marcia is correct in that you can develop a tolerance to Valium. Taking valium (or ativan) and pain meds is fine as long as the same Doc has prescribed them and is aware of the total medical picture (as in this case). However, you have to be very careful because the cumulative sedative effect can be much greater together than if taken independently. Warning signs would be sleeping long hours, shallowed breathing, and inability to wake up easily after a full nights rest.

You are doing the right thing by cutting your dose. Valium is a very powerful med and goes a long way in it's action. The higher doses are for those who have worked their way up slowly, or aren't on as high of a OC dose as you. The symptoms you describe happen for a reason and quite frankly, are warning signs. Marcia is exactly right in that dosing for any particular patient is a two way street. Although a Dr rxs what he believes to be the right dose, he also has the responsibility to adjust according to feedback from the patient. Everyone is different and that's what makes medicine so unique.

My guess is that your Doc is a very compassionate one, judging by what you have described. He probably was erring on the side of making sure you were comfortable....He seems to be very empathetic to your case. Many patients would love to have a Doc like yours.

Best of luck to you and I hope you feel better.

Regards,

Ex

Old 02-07-2010, 09:11 AM   #12
(male)

lemonflavor HB User

Valium is in the benzodiazepine class. There are a whole host of them, the most popular being Valium ('mother's little helper' in the 80's), Klonopin, which I take, Ativan, Xanax and many others. Versed is often injected for mild sedation. These are notorious for developing a tolerance and difficult to lower or come off of. It's best if you can only take it on an as needed basis but many like me take them everyday--for anxiety for me. Seems like Valium and Ativan are best as muscle relaxers with Valium having a much longer half life.

I would definitely not just go off gabapentin without doctors orders. It is a mild anti convulsant and there's a slight possibility of seizure if you just stop taking it. You would need to taper.

Old 03-19-2010, 10:02 AM   #13
(female)

bingaling HB User
Unhappy Re: Valium (diazepam) causing problems - Why?

I was only on a very low 2mg dose to help me to relax at night - with Ibuprofen and paracetamol (and a hot pack for my neck). Yes the diazepam DID help and I was still able to get up in the morning and go to work unfatigued. With diazepam I felt the pain was still there but way in the background and I could get on with things.
The doc warned me it would become addictive, that my body would come to depend on it (yes even 2mg daily!). I just laughed, but after three weeks I cant imagine doing without it - I have'nt slept properly since the car accident anyway but Im pretty sure the diazepam is causing nightmares now and disrupting any quality of sleep I should be getting. I'm trying to do without them now.

Last edited by bingaling; 03-19-2010 at 10:06 AM. Reason: mistake

Old 03-20-2010, 11:18 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User

The usual rule with CNS meds is Start Low - Go Slow

That is, start on alow dose, and slowly build up to the effective dose.

Also, the dose used should be the smallest dose that works, not the highest dose the patient can tolorate.

Multiple anecdotes do not equal evidence - Me

Old 03-21-2010, 02:44 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingaling View Post
I was only on a very low 2mg dose to help me to relax at night - with Ibuprofen and paracetamol (and a hot pack for my neck). Yes the diazepam DID help and I was still able to get up in the morning and go to work unfatigued.
Hello bingaling. You're lucky you can sleep at night. When did the accident happened, sounds like a whiplash to me. A serious problem.

Closed Thread