It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Chronic Pain Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2010, 08:02 PM   #1
(female)

CatchMeIfUcan15 HB User
Unhappy bad back for years, too young for this!

I will be 27 years old next month. I have had back pain for over 5 years now! Well for about a year my pain faded then came back 2 years ago worse! I have stabbing burning and numbness on my left side of my back and shoulder. The burning gets so terriable sometimes!I have a hard time walking for a distance, cant sit for very long without my legs neck an back getttin stiff and i basically hurt with everyday activities. I have done physical therepy had numerouse xrays that show nothing and now am going to get my first nerve block tomarrow. this is slowing me down at work greatly and limits me on the activities i can do with my 3 year old son! Im on antidepressants and use lydoderm patches for my back for now(which helped briefly and i only use while im working) I just need to know if anyone has gone through this or something similar and they may have done to help it

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-10-2010, 05:59 PM   #2
(female)

Alliecatt HB User
Re: bad back for years, too young for this!

I have a lot of pain in my back and shoulder as well and no one has been able to find the exact cause. I was in a car accident last year but I have had many x-rays, CAT scans and MRIs. Have you had any tests other than x-rays? Certain things may not show up in an x-ray. It's possible it could be nerve related.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-11-2010, 06:21 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

nochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alliecatt View Post
I have a lot of pain in my back and shoulder as well and no one has been able to find the exact cause. I was in a car accident last year but I have had many x-rays, CAT scans and MRIs. Have you had any tests other than x-rays? Certain things may not show up in an x-ray. It's possible it could be nerve related.
I was just wondering. Did they do the MRI with contrast?
Also, sometimes it takes some time for doctor to find out why it hurts. Sounds to me like a lot like a bulging disk. It could be tiny that without the contrast noone can see. I'm not a doctor, it just sounds like that.
there are here people with more experience about that than me. Hopefully they will have more answers.

I was told at the hospital couple of months after the accident that if it doesn't get any better it could be the disk. that's why I suggest you do another MRI with contrast.
I would do another MRI, ask your doctor, ok?. There could be some changes.
Car accidents are tricky.(now I know years later)and more things can show up later in life.

I'm really sory to hear about your problems caused by this car accident.
I sympathise with you. I've been injured by a car accident also. I have neck pain but it's not radiating to arm or anything.

Let us all know about the new MRI and we can go from there. ok?
I hope you feel better

P.S are you taking any medication to ease this pain you have?

Last edited by nochange; 02-11-2010 at 06:24 AM.

Old 02-11-2010, 08:33 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

as the others have stated here? getting that one contrasted MRI(adding the contrasting agent just IS a much better more 'highlighted type of MRI vs doing without it) done not just only on your c spine area BUT also including that shoulder/rotator cuff too could very easily in some cases just find the underlying generator or generators of what your ongoing symptoms have been. there are ususally only two real possibles when it comes to anything actually feeling any real "numbness" in most of us, and those two things are either an actual 'nerve' related issue of some kind or a vascular problem. but given YOUR ongoing symptomology here i would be willing to bet this just is much more at least a nerve/cord issue up in around that c spine level area? and what you have been experiencing in that arm shoulder area tho it can stem from very specific types of real spinal problems,from just what i personally experienced as symptomswhen it was my rotator cuff tendons that were torn among other things, your symptoms just could also be a possible tendon tear or evena complete tear, but thast would really depend upon just how much real ROMs you have left there that any good ortho or even neurosurgeon would be able to tell alot about what could be going on doing just thev very basic neuro types of hands on testing they do.

but of course the better testing right now for both that upper c spine and that rotator cuff area would simply be the contrasted MRI. your shoulder issues just really do sound very much like mine and another poster here named sammyo1 who also was going thru her rotator hell the very same time i was too. we compared symptoms ALOT along with just comparing doc orders too and how we were both healing and that REALLY helped the both of us in alot of ways. but in order to just be even able to truely Dx the level of your real underlying problems, its just a matter of testing the more obvious things first,ao they can just be ruled in or out as possibles, then kind of tracking back your actual symptoms to what would just be the bigger 'base of operations' so to speak?

i just really DO think you have at least some level of real rotator cuff issues with what you described up there. i have had both c spine problems AND the rotaor crap that happened a gfew years later and found out alot of some of my ongoing symptoms that i assumed were c spine related were in reality more due to the rotaor and not as much spinal as i had thought. and i DID have some already Dxed spinal herinations and bone spurring and stenosis along with a vascular glob also sitting in my c spine spinal cord too. there is just soo much 'run thru' of the spinal nerves that do just also run thru that rotator too so anything is really possible to just feel at times(the symptoms of one area can just also 'mimic' the other area too at times). but the one BIG thing i just now know was indeed shoulder related WAS this horrid burning i kept getting in my muscles up around that shoulder area. IN my muscles even in that biceo area. but anywhere where any particular individual would actually have symptoms that would indicate some type of problem really IS so very very highly individual in nature?it would also include ANY other possible areas that just could also be involved and presenting in their own way too? that is why ob6tainign the two totally seperate c spine and the shoulder area are really crucial for you right now. they can do both areas at the samevisit,they just have to stop in between areas to fully set things up for the new one being done. but this WOULD be what i would be doing right now just to really finally 'see' into the soft tissue areas much more clearly. plain old x rays would only really show you the more boney structures and not the soft tissue area that you simply NEED seen and evaluated right now. but at this point i would not 'settle' for anything less than the two contrasted MRI areas i mentioned. these two areas just really DO NEED to be looked into right now in order to give YOU the best possible Dx of any and ALL possible contributors to your overall process.

just curious when considering your age here? were you at any time just involved in any sports at all in high school or after or even cheerleading which just IS a very highly dangerous 'sport'. many a cheerleader has actually ended up breaking necks/backs, long bones and also becoming paralyzed depending upon the true level of injury. it just IS pretty risky stuff that not too many people would realistically even begin to think could even BE a risky thing at all? just knowing what you did previously to this even presenting itself the level it is right now would possibly be really helpful. good luck hon and please DO let us know what you find out? also make darn certain to simply obtain EVERY single type of possible testing report that is ever actually just done on you(definitely INCLUDING these two MRIs as well). you do have the right to this info anytime you want it. and you just do need to be keeping your very own medical files on yourself too,espescially when you just do have an ongoing type of any real condition. Marcia

Old 02-11-2010, 09:20 AM   #5
(female)

Alliecatt HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nochange View Post
I was just wondering. Did they do the MRI with contrast?
Also, sometimes it takes some time for doctor to find out why it hurts. Sounds to me like a lot like a bulging disk. It could be tiny that without the contrast noone can see. I'm not a doctor, it just sounds like that.
there are here people with more experience about that than me. Hopefully they will have more answers.
Hello, nochange. I don't believe any MRIs with contrast were ordered. I do have a slight reaction to contrast dye however I don't think that is the reason they weren't ordered with contrast because I've had other procedures with contrast but the doctor will give me benadryl and prednisone before hand.
I have a lot of details about my accident, pain, pain management and my MRI report in another thread. It's probably best not to re-post it in this one. If you would like to read that thread, you are more than welcome. I appreciate all help.
http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=734755

Old 02-13-2010, 10:39 AM   #6
(female)

jubilee2278 HB User

You said this has been a problem for 5 years and xrays alog with other tests showed nothing? This may be a pinched nerve of some kind. Did you have any testing that would be conclusive of a nerve problem? Does anything help such as heat or medication? YOu also stsated that the pain faded then came back. Did you have and epidural or something similar when you delivered your baby? Maybe something triggered it again.Hope you feel better after the nerve block.

Jubilee2278

Old 02-18-2010, 07:06 AM   #7
(male)

KurtAS HB User

Catch me.. have you gone to a Rhuematologist? At your age and your discription, you sound like me 20yrs ago. I was Diagnosed with Ankylosing Spondylitis. They need do a blood test. Xrays & MRI's won't show much at this early stage. I sufferred for years till I was diagnosed. Pls listen and at least rule this disease out.

Do yourself a favor and Google "Ankylosing Spondylitis" OR "Spondylistis Association of America" and read up on the disease. I pray you don't have it, but if you do, you will be thanking me shortly as there are ways to control the pain and damage the disease causes. Unfort, not cure.. only control.

Keep me posted. KurtAS

Closed Thread